It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even the Ancient Greeks Knew the Earth Wasn't Flat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

It simply amazes me that you are using ancient theory to prove the earth is round, it's simply moronic to make a thread arguing like you are
Really, some people think the earths flat, who cares, it's their choice
Only a moronic person would argue with a moronic person

Your whole thread here is dumb, self righteous, self grandioising form of intelectual masturbation.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

But, you will have to remember the Greeks didn't live in their mother's basement and play video games on a "flat" screen T V all day.

They actually got outside and experienced the real world. So they got some first hand knowledge of what the real world is like.

They also didn't have a monitized you tube channel to make a living from.
edit on 2-9-2018 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Haven't posted in a long time, but I saw this thread & wanted to offer some balance to all the "experts" on here.

I'm a firm flat-earther. Not a shill, nor a CIA agent. Nor a Russian troll.

Know what helps FE'ers the most?

NASA BULL#, that's what.

NASA talks about the Van Allen belt & "dangerous radiation", yet not a single astronaut died of cancer.

NASA says we went to the moon, yet you have documentaries like "A funny thing happened on the way to the moon", showing they faked their distance from Earth.

NASA says on ISS that the farthermost we've been is "low earth orbit" & that one day we hope to go the moon & Mars!

NASA says "we lost the technology to go to the moon! (Yt that)

NASA says we "lost the telemetry data of the Apollo missions!

13K reels of it! Enough to fill a room.

I don't need to prove "the earth is flat. All I need to do is destroy your "source" that "proves" that. They've done that for me themselves.

So now what?

ETA: Look at the "hole" on the ISS just this week from Hadfield; its an DOCTORED ALBUM COVER from Remedy Drive!

Yeah.
edit on 2-9-2018 by schadenfreude because: Recent info

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
loll everyone newd it! exept the catholic pope and docrine a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: schadenfreude
NASA talks about the Van Allen belt & "dangerous radiation", yet not a single astronaut died of cancer.

Really? Two of the original seven died of cancer, and a third died of a brain tumor. And many more died of various cancers.

www.wa-wd.com...

NASA says on ISS that the farthermost we've been is "low earth orbit" & that one day we hope to go the moon & Mars!

Misquotes don't lend themselves to proving a source wrong.

NASA says "we lost the technology to go to the moon! (Yt that)

Many of the companies that built Apollo and related systems don't exist anymore. So neither do their records or plans. You don't keep building something you aren't going to use. When they stopped the Apollo program, they stopped building them.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

the radiation is supossed to be "lethal".

You don't die years, decades later from "lethal" radiation.

Nice try.

"...stopped building them".

Lose all the blueprints too huh?

Scrap the Space shuttles? Can't re-engineer that crap?

ok.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth

To me, it seems fairly obvious in recent years there has been some sort of disinfo campaign pushing this Flat Earth garbage. For whatever reason? Maybe simply to further the ever increasing divide.

I also agree practical intelligence is noticeably declining, at least in Western society. Scary huh?

Pretty sure the flat earth society started as a satire. I remember years ago someone i worked with was extremely intelligent, and loved to troll on social media about flat earth and thought of clever ways to defend it. But of course, some people actually believed it. [I believe we have found the answer/mystery/solution to the question.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: schadenfreude

oh dear :

what utter bollox

lets just start with the origional " mecury 7 " - the first US` astronauts :

shepard and slayton - both died of cancers

so thats claim one falsified

but hey - why are idiots so obsessed with nasa - in regard the flat earth delusion ?????

we knew the earth was a sphere - before NASA even existed - so why bring NASA into it ????

instead of fansasising about NASA

try explaining polaris and sigma octantis

then show us on a flat earth map how sydney > santiago direct flights work

the list is endless - and complletely independant of NASA

so what now ?

how about you show some actual science [snipped]

edit on Sun Sep 2 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: You are responsible for your own posts.

(post by schadenfreude removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

And you should do more than read "the moon landing is fake" sites. The Van Allen Belts aren't uniform and aren't the same in every area. James van Allen, the scientist that discovered them, said short, fast trips through portions of the belts wouldn't be a problem. Apollo went through the thinnest portions of the belts.

Why would you reengineer a 1940s DC-3 instead of building something new that's far more capable?

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

if you come hhere acting like an idiot - guess what - you get treated like one

so any science to support your flat-[snip] claims ?

if yes - show it - if no - run away [ like the rest ]
edit on 9.2.2018 by Kandinsky because: Snipped offensive term

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMNOTYOU

IMO one of the bigger problems is when people feel superior, and Think that everybody is just retarded for not believing the same or knowing the same.
If you where to discuss flat earth theory, with an open heart, people will have more respect for your oppinions, and you May be able to teach them something.
Instead you ridicule, and people wont listen to you, because NO-ONE likes an idiot Who ridicules them. So you re actually part of the problem youre takling about... so maybe your not so smart as you Think.

The problem with being the smartest man on earth, is that everybody Else is idiots...

Sorry I don't suffer fools who's eyelids don't blink at the same time. Never said I was smarter than anyone, so don't add to what I stated. To open heartedly discuss something with people who believe things that a easily proven or patently false is folly. The 🌒 is round as is the Sun, but I'm sure there's some mouth breathers who think they're cardboard cutouts because..... South Park....

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

If the sun's rays are at a definable angle that does NOT match the perpetrated "93 million miles" away, then maybe I'm not the mouth-breather here.

But hey, whatever. Enjoy your cognitive dissonance.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: schadenfreude

If the sun's rays are at a definable angle that does NOT match the perpetrated "93 million miles" away, then maybe I'm not the mouth-breather here.

But hey, whatever. Enjoy your cognitive dissonance.

I'm assuming you're referring to Parallax, Pythagorean Theorem, and Trigonometry, which the we determined distances using this thing we call a telescope and sextant for measurements.

Just gonna put this here....
www.montereyinstitute.org...

What do you know? When we Wizarded these there Ciphers...they matched the data in all the books. Of course this was 8th Grade in my day. Sadly today, in 8th Grade they're probably doing the Antifreeze Challenge and reading Are You My Mother?, by Dr. Suess instead of Plato, Shakespeare, Longfellow, ect.

Here's another Meth-Head tip for ya. "Never Pet a Burning Cat".

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth

To me, it seems fairly obvious in recent years there has been some sort of disinfo campaign pushing this Flat Earth garbage. For whatever reason?

Good ol capitalism, make a video with "shocking" revalations use youtube and earn $$, no moral compass required say what you want with out any basis in truth and have comments underneath echo how genius your revalation was, job done.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Calling people meth-heads for disagreeing with you about something is pretty childish and immature.

I'm not impressed by belligerence or snobbish vainglory.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The Earth IS flat!
And only 5000 years old!

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage
The earth is not a pancake.
The sun rises and ships disappear from horizon. If you start at a journey in one direction you eventually come to find where you started.

But the Earth could be banana shaped or actually a giant doughnut. The polar ice caps are the inner side of the doughtnut, while the equator is on the outer edge of the doughtnut.

We've even got pictures to prove it

images-cdn.9gag.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

ok - what angle should the sunns rays be at [ to conform to the official 1 AU distance ] ?

and more important - that angle has you determined them to be - divvergent ? convergent ?

and how ???????????

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   
The Ancient Greeks may have recognised the earth was not flat, but it's a bit silly to over-egg what they accomplished. While Greek philosophy may have set the ground for future scientific method and context, it was just speculative at the time.

The Ancient Greeks also had their crackpot side. For example, they believed that light came from the eye (Plato) and that the heart was the centre of knowledge, while the brain was there to cool the body (Aristotle). For every thing the Greeks got right, they got ten things wrong.

However, on the earth not being flat... That was clearly right. That belief was mainstream in Western civilisation from that time. It seems that only since YouTube came into being it has been questioned!!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join