It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haitians eat dirt cookies to survive

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Inconceivable

I had a boyfriend once who was a track and field coach for a university. One summer he, along with hundreds of other coaches from all sports, basketball, etc. went somewhere in Africa to teach their coaches how to be 'coaches". They were gone for about two months, and he loved it.

I've wondered if we could do the same thing with administrators. Mayors, etc. Even in Mexican small border towns. Send police chiefs, and all kinds of government officials to those places like Haiti to teach them how to govern.

I wonder if something like that would help them?

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

This has been going on for countless generations. The dirt has mineralization that makes it useful as food.

Sucks.

But it ain't new.

On the upside, i hear the Clintons are in Haiti with their billion dollar charity. Maybe they have a solution.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Vegetarians can be made. All it takes is a tick bite to make you unable to eat meats.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Inconceivable

I had a boyfriend once who was a track and field coach for a university. One summer he, along with hundreds of other coaches from all sports, basketball, etc. went somewhere in Africa to teach their coaches how to be 'coaches". They were gone for about two months, and he loved it.

I've wondered if we could do the same thing with administrators. Mayors, etc. Even in Mexican small border towns. Send police chiefs, and all kinds of government officials to those places like Haiti to teach them how to govern.

I wonder if something like that would help them?

We have done all that in addition to many other vital trades and no, it didn’t/doesn’t work.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

If I May; Nylah, you said

Whine much? When you have ample choices of what to eat and don't have to worry about crap like real famines or absolute poverty, you can afford to empathize with your food sources & choose what you stuff down your gullet. Haitians in the OP example can't exactly afford ANYTHING, let alone get real food, so your point is kinda worthless here.

The point is, the very fact that Haitians are so poor they have to eat dirt, while people in other countries can afford to worry about the ethics of their food choices, is appalling. It's not a personal attack on the people worrying about said ethics.

That gap of living standards and expectations is exactly what's wrong with our world. Redletter can stop me if I am wrong, but when he said

That happened when you cared less for human life than for fish.

I believe what he was trying to say was. Why worry about the life of your food, when there are people in the world, who can't even eat real food? It's the same reason why some people get angry at others for throwing away food. Yeah, it's easy to throw away food, when you have so much more in the fridge. But there's people who don't have any food at all, literally, and have to eat Dirt.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Vegetarians can be made. All it takes is a tick bite to make you unable to eat meats.

Sounds like a fate worse than death

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Sounds like a fate worse than death

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It is gut wrenching to see such desperation in people trying to survive, while so many have so much more, more than enough. With all the wealth around the world, this is unacceptable.

If we are giving them so much money for relief...where is the damned relief? There is corruption and a lack of compassion for human lives.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

While Haiti is just a mess, they have been eating those dirt treats for a long time. It's not something new as far as I know.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

It's still infuriating that anyone anywhere should go without proper food.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: redletter

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: redletter
a reply to: Nyiah

That happened when you cared less for human life than for fish.

When did I say that? Seriously, in which of my 3 prior posts did I say I cared more for fish than people?

Spoiler Alert: It was never said, you quite literally just made that up. Lying doesn't help you case at all.

I did, however, say people are free to choose what they eat. Which you obviously find to be a source of great disdain for some reason.

When you spoke against Jesus for picking fishermen, and helping them fish fishes. And when you hated against Jesus making fishes to feed people.

Proverbs 23:20-21 ESV
Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Philippians 3:19 ESV
Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.

PERFECTION
Genesis 1:29-30 ESV
And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: pavil

It's still infuriating that anyone anywhere should go without proper food.

It's messed up I agree. They even truck the dirt in to make the cookies and you have to buy the dirt as an Ingredient even.

You'd think by now they would have basic subsistence gardening down.

Haiti is the Afghanistan of the Western Hemisphere. No matter who or what you try, the locals manage to get screwed.

Honestly, it's probably never going to get much better there for them. Sometimes that's just the way things are sadly.

At the market in the La Saline slum, two cups of rice now sell for 60 cents, up 10 cents from December and 50 percent from a year ago. Beans, condensed milk and fruit have gone up at a similar rate, and even the price of the edible clay has risen over the past year by almost $1.50. Dirt to make 100 cookies now costs $5, the cookie makers say. Still, at about 5 cents apiece, the cookies are a bargain compared to food staples. About 80 percent of people in Haiti live on less than $2 a day and a tiny elite controls the economy. Merchants truck the dirt from the central town of Hinche to the La Saline market, a maze of tables of vegetables and meat swarming with flies. Women buy the dirt, then process it into mud cookies in places such as Fort Dimanche, a nearby shanty town.

A reporter sampling a cookie found that it had a smooth consistency and sucked all the moisture out of the mouth as soon as it touched the tongue. For hours, an unpleasant taste of dirt lingered.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join