It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police confronted for planting bait car full of Nikes in the Ghetto

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

"They are after people who purposely steal bikes"? As opposed to after people who accidentally steal Nikes?

The program linked saw a 33% reduction in bike theft, and most the people "purposely stealing" were unsurprisingly otherwise afoul of the law. Perhaps prominent, well-advertised programs have a deterrent effect worth noting?

Further, I don't believe poor people have no self-control or are unable to exercise it, so I reject your comparison. In fact, I think it stinks of prejudice. Also, "offering" a fat kid free ice cream is not the same as a fat kid stealing ice cream that does not belong to him. If there is an epidemic of fat kids stealing ice cream in an area, I bet a few well-publicized arrests would help cut down on ice cream theft.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Too funny.....some actually believe they only stole because it was there?

Temptation is hard to fight

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
a reply to: Bone75

I think it's supported because it puts "undesirables" into the crime database.
Especially good for those who have no police record yet. Now they can be tracked.

It's just an awful, racist thing to do.

Why not bait an Ivy League College with Cell phones and tablets?
There would be takers, we all know there would be.
oh, those ornery college boys and their pranks!

I suppose one answer would be to park cars full of donuts and Barry Manilow records, near the police stations.
Irresistible to some "types" of people yeah?

Why are they undesirables? Maybe because they steal and lie and cheat others instead of doing something worthwhile? I am poor, I grew up not ever having the right stuff for school or the 'in' clothes etc. My biggest theft was a carrot when I was 6. And I still remember and feel guilty.
I also put myself through university, by starting working hard.

You are what you make of yourself, the rest is excuses. How on earth did racism even make it into this thread?
Because it is black people that commit most crime? When I grew up the world could still distinguish between cause and effect. Nowadays it's: If you are black you should get an excuse card and be able to do whatever you want because otherwise it's racist.

You know what is racist? To assume that black people can't work hard at school and have integrity and hence make excuses for them that whites just wouldn't get.

I see them as capable but unwilling. Brought up with no values, brought up with no male role models and a gangsta culture that is favoured to hard graft and education. Entirely their own making. Unless of course you are right [and racist] to assume that they are not capable of being decent and they need to be treated somehow like retarded toddlers [as you suggest] and need to be excused constantly for those reasons.

Being poor is no excuse for being a criminal. None!

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

It's pretty narrow minded to judge others based your own experiences, we all are dealt different cards and we each of deal with it in a very personal way .

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Hecate666

It's pretty narrow minded to judge others based your own experiences, we all are dealt different cards and we each of deal with it in a very personal way .

Doesn't change what's right and wrong. I had a neighbor bring me a box i had from UPS said he took it because he chased some teenager off my front porch who walked up and picked it up. I checked the video and he was right he walks on to my porch 5 min after UPS dropped off the package. I'm very tempted to order something just to catch him on camera stealing. Because in my view this isn't the sort of person you want in your neighborhood.

So the police doing the same trying to make the neighborhood a safer place doesn't bother me. If they steal from their neighbors they need to go.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Considering it's Chicago they're lucky an organized gang didn't try to take the truck. The cops show up and meet a withering hail of gunfire. Might have served them right.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Entrapment comes to mind.

However, your headline says a car full of bikes.

That’s what I was thinking but I don’t think this would be ruled as entrapment. There is lots of precedent with the bait cars. Who knows though it could very well be ruled as entrapment. Like you said, it’s complicated.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I see it as lazy police work, there are plenty of crimes that need attention before wasting resources on these set ups, it's like how they set up people soliciting sex and so on and so forth .

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: dragonridr

I see it as lazy police work, there are plenty of crimes that need attention before wasting resources on these set ups, it's like how they set up people soliciting sex and so on and so forth .

Can also save them time think everytime they have to go to a neighborhood to fill out a report because someone stole a bike etc.

If they are constantly getting called to repprt theft its worth the investment if only through lowering crime because people think it may be a trap. They now have it in their heads that police are trying to catch them stealing so they might pass up on that next opportunity believing its a set up.
edit on 8/5/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: gamer2343

Al was caught by tax evasion...

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The main argument for this sting operation being 'wrong' for being placed in the ghetto is that those who stole aren't capable of controlling themselves.

OMG! They placed the truck next to youths playing basketball! Of course everything was going to get stolen! Entrapment!

That's about the most racist argument I've ever heard.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: hunterTheory

If your boyfriend had taken the bike, he would have deserved to be arrested. Stealing is a crime.

What if your boyfriend had take the bike with the intent of turning it in to police because a valuable bike like that obviously would not have been left out in the open for so many days without having either been lost, stolen and abandoned, or some other thing have gone amiss?

I only say that because I once found a large wad of cash lying in the breezeway outside my apartment. I was highly tempted to take it until I considered that it was the right amount to have been someone's paycheck cashed. I still took it, turned it in to the police, and informed the apartment office that if anyone showed up looking for a quantity of cash, they might check with the police.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Let´s put some chicken into the habitat of the fox.
If a fox dares to eat the chicken, we shoot him.
Because there is an industry that needs more dead foxes...

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Gotta agree that this is entrapment. Is it not also profiling?

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
Let´s put some chicken into the habitat of the fox.
If a fox dares to eat the chicken, we shoot him.
Because there is an industry that needs more dead foxes...

Ah, but now you are assuming that black people really are different animals than anyone else. That truly is sort of racist. Don't you think? Your analogy makes the point that they really can't be expected to think and behave like the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
They do the same thing with bait cars that have a built-in remote shut down. Steal the car and you get caught. Leaving it around unlocked with keys in it is not an invitation to steal unless one is so inclined in the first place.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is the reason why all the advice sheets say never to leave valuables in your car.

Is there such a huge difference between the person who leaves a new pair of shoes in their car and has it broken into and the shoes stolen and this? Or is it just 'cause cops?

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Oh Chicago where 200 people are shot per week? That in itself tells the reader/viewer that this is "Snippy Police Work" and I can type this with the utmost of confidence as I was a cop. This is "busy work" How many of those shootings have been solved? Instead of directing the cops who are working the 'shoe detail' they could be canvassing the neighborhoods of these neighborhoods where the shootings took place.

When the snip is ALWAYS in the fan, that is when You go to a 're-active' stance as opposed to a 'pro-active', in other words "Answer the radio" in lieu of making a traffic stop to go on a "fishing expedition"..

"Work before play" clean the mess(es) up before doing 'fun stuff'

* Although I detested Court, I'd be willing to testify to what I typed.. BOO

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

So it makes theft acceptable?

No one made these degenerates and steal someone else's property. Lock them up, twice as long for trying to blame their own lack of morals and self-control on police.

You can keep Chicago (aka little Iraq)

POS' & their apologists

edit on 8/5/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Entrapment happens all the time. It's similar to trolling, isn't it?

Setting out a decoy duck when hunting, is entrapment.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join