It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police confronted for planting bait car full of Nikes in the Ghetto

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I saw this earlier this YouTube video is the only one I could find of this incident to upload it here allegedly Chicago police set up a truck full of brand new Nike shoes in a ghetto neighborhood next to where minorties were also said to be playing basketball nearby.

These are officers that are more than likely not from that area and are probably not in touch with the community there.

Do you agree with police officers waiting until they touch or grab something then come take them off to jail?

Sort of like where the CIA I believe was making terrorist then snatching them up for conspiracy or something before they actually commit the crime but this is less so I guess they let them go through with it then catch them a couple seconds later

Or

Do you think this is wrong? although stealing is a crime they probably weren’t going to ever steal anything if the Chicago police had not set it there?
edit on 4-8-2018 by gamer2343 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Entrapment comes to mind.

However, your headline says a car full of bikes.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: gamer2343

Do you really think that these same people would never have stolen anything just because the police did not put something there?

+32 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That is not entrapment.

Entrapment is when a person is forced or coerced to do something that they normally would not do.

+29 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I see no problem with what the police did here. Someone could leave a truckload of money out in the open and I still wouldn’t steal it even if I thought I could get away with it. If you are honest this tactic wouldn’t have any effect.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Entrapment is when a person is forced or coerced to do something that they normally would not do.

You are mistaken. What you describe is duress or coercion.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

That is not entrapment.

Wrong.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Bet the crowd assumed it was free gifts from The Mayor.

😃

+25 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

A typical entrapment scenario arises when law enforcement officers use coercion and other overbearing tactics to induce someone to commit a crime.

Government agents do not entrap defendants simply by offering them an opportunity to commit a crime. Judges expect people to resist any ordinary temptation to violate the law.

www.nolo.com...

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: BlueAjah

That is not entrapment.

Wrong.

What? So if I leave my bike on the curb and someone steals im entrapping them? Its my fault?

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
They had a similar problem in some cities in England. Vans making deliveries to high-street shops would be raided while the delivery guy was inside. The police decided to do a sting operation where undercover officers would hide inside a van while the delivery guy did his work. When the local yoofs were caught red-handed, there were neighborhood protests that this was unfair and "entrapment".

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It's complicated. Your source:

In a state that employs a subjective test for entrapment, the prosecutor can offer evidence of Jim's predisposition to commit the crime, including that Jim had a lengthy rap sheet and that he was anxious to join the street gang and wanted to prove his mettle by participating in a violent crime. A jury would then decide whether Jim participated in the robbery out of his own willingness to do so, regardless of Snitch's actions.

Setting "bait" for known criminals is fine. Casting a wide net, it depends.

edit on 8/4/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Entrapment comes to mind.

However, your headline says a car full of bikes.
I fixed it thanks

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The problem I see is that there is no real victim like in a real theft. Another thing that comes to mind is the corporate for profit prisons. Not to capacity at the moment? Why else would you need to do something like this?
edit on 4-8-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

Taking something that is not yours is "real theft."

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It's complicated. Your source:

In a state that employs a subjective test for entrapment, the prosecutor can offer evidence of Jim's predisposition to commit the crime, including that Jim had a lengthy rap sheet and that he was anxious to join the street gang and wanted to prove his mettle by participating in a violent crime. A jury would then decide whether Jim participated in the robbery out of his own willingness to do so, regardless of Snitch's actions.

Setting "bait" for known criminals is fine. Casting a wide net, it depends.

you are wrong Phage .. You should just stop because now you look desperate..

Its not entrapment by any means.
edit on 4-8-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Character is doing the right thing when no one is watching. Obviously these kids don’t have character

On the flip side, unless the cops were trying to get one individual, I think there are many many ways for the police to spend tax payers money. Whomever came up with the plan, really needs to be replaced

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Its not entrapment by any means.

Do you think the point won't be raised at trial?

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Well yes it is technically. Had one of those kids gotten away with an empty box, which person would have lost sleep over it?
edit on 4-8-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I don’t know do you, But I do think it’s kinda messed up that they placed it in a ghetto low-income neighborhood next to where teens or people or whoever was playing basketball though if it happened like that.

They should all try leaving an open truck full of iPhoneX and MacBooks in their own neighborhoods and see what happens,

Maybe nothing will happen maybe people will call the cops and report it who knows? We’ll never know because they’ll only do this in ghettos where they don’t live and are totally detached from.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join