It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I recently watched Contact and WOW!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Interstellar too.... www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I honestly love you guys.

Just when you thought you had seen everything ATS members deliver.

I have a huge list of films to make my way through, thanks all, really appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: R1CK3O

Every Alien you can get your hands on.

Also, try Signs, They Live, District 9, Stargate, War of The Worlds.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Earth vs the flying saucers, old one but a good one.

The thing, 1951 version.

War of the worlds, 1953 version

Day the earth stood still, 1951 version

This island earth, 1955

Those should get you started on old UFO movies then you can work on the 60s

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Read the book Contact by Carl Sagan.

That awful movie will never do Sagan's work justice.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Skip the movies, just go straight to binge watching Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
They Live, starring Rowdy Roddy Pipper?

Amazing script, amazing acting, all-around amazing movie.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumin
Skip the movies, just go straight to binge watching Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek.

Believe it or not in my 28 years on Earth I had never watched a single Star Trek episode until a few months ago.

I started watching the new Netflix series and loved it which led me to watch the very first episodes of the original and I was surprised, I thought due to the age I wouldn't like it but I was pleasantly surprised to say I loved it.

Now I know I may get obliterated for saying this but I'd never seen a single Star Wars movie either until a few months ago and I have to say I hated it, talked about over rated.... I was downvoted to oblivion for saying that on Reddit but yea I didn't get the hype.

Star Trek totally different I was totally hooked. I've yet to see the OLD movies but I loved the new ones as well as loved the old and new TV series, it's just awesome I love the whole franchise.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Read the book Contact by Carl Sagan.

That awful movie will never do Sagan's work justice.

I hear you, I normally feel this way about books vs films.

Sadly I watched the film first because at the time I didn't know there was a book.

I have a long reading list but I'll be sure to add it to my life of 'to read books'

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I saw the movie first as well.

That's why I was so pissed off about it after I read the book. The difference is stark and Sagan's linguistic ability really comes through making this story deeper and far more meaningful.

I should add that I'm not normally one of "those people" who always says the book is better. This is the only movie I feel that way about.
edit on 17 7 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
May I suggest a movie for you. "The Forgotten".....Starring Julianne Moore, Gary Sinise and Dominic West. If they are aliens that exist, I feel this movie is more true to how it really would be . Alfre Woodard and Anthony Edwards are also in it.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This one is a slightly different take on alien abduction. No spoilers for this one because it was f#ing awesome!

Altered

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumin

I’m going to second the BSG reboot- it is probably the best series I have watched- and I was super reluctant to start it because I’m not generally into SciFi. I finished it YEARS ago and still think about it every few weeks.

I was introduced to Contact as a kid, probably when it came out on VHS, and was blown away. One of the few I will watch over and over again. (Along with The Big Lebowski😆)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

This is the only movie I feel that way about.

You must not have seen The Dark Tower abomination. 🤮

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You'll love both Star Trek ToS and TNG once you get hooked. But you have to give Battlestar Galactica (2004) a shot. Great storyline and acting! And one of my favorite endings.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Not your typical "alien" movie but it fits the definition...

The Abyss, 1989.

For something just horror/fun alien, The Thing (1982)

The girl side of me always liked Starman (1984)

And you are just not a balanced person if you have never watched "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" (1984)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

The Abyss is one of my favs.

Edge of Tomorrow is good too with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt.

BUT the movie i watched as a kid that freaked me out was Strange Invaders 1983. The aliens, who wear human skin, slowly pull pieces off at one point... loved it as a kid. The best version I could find on YT has Spanish subtitles. But that's not stopping me from watching it again right now!!!:

Donnie Darko - more supernatural though
Enemy Mine

Have fun!
edit on 0017x6700America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: R1CK3O
So I have an avid interest in UFOlogy and anything related to UFO's Space and Aliens.

I'm 28 so forgive me I'm still quite young and new to the party, still have a lot to learn.

I recently watched (a few weeks ago) Contact for the first time and it totally blew my mind.

Honestly, it has to be one of my all-time favourite movies now.

I've seen most things related to Aliens and UFOs.

Fire in the sky
Taken by Steven Speilberg
ChildHoods End
District 9
Clouse Encounters of the Third & Fourth Kind
Dark Skies

The list goes on BUT this film is by far my favourite. It was truly fantastic, I've tried getting my girlfriend to watch it but because it's a little bit of a slow burner she couldn't stick with it.

I adored it, it's one of those movies that leaves you with so many deep philosophical questions which leads you to speculate and come up with some crazy theories, I just loved it.

My question is, are there any other movies on the same type of scale as this movie, that I may not know about?

In Honesty I don't think much else can top this but I might be surprised.

Not loved a movie as much since I saw Life of Pi.

Anyway, any similar movie recommendations would be great!

The Arrival

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

Ive seen Contact a number of times. I actually had it on VHS, now just DVD.

Ha, you and me both. I saw it in the theater when it came out, then bought the VHS when it came out, then bought the DVD some time ago when it came out on that.

It's a thinker movie, and it does an excellent job of it. The alien taking the visual form of her father isn't a let down, it's a subtle way of reminding us we don't know what's out there yet, let alone how it will look to us, or how -- purely as-is visually, or a little bit of telepathically altered visuals, or what.

What really stuck with me out of the movie was the entire trip there, the look of it was something amazing, as well as the destination locale. That's the stuff our alien world fantasies are made of!

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumin

You'll love both Star Trek ToS and TNG once you get hooked. But you have to give Battlestar Galactica (2004) a shot. Great storyline and acting! And one of my favorite endings.

Farscape! Don't forget Farscape! IMO, between Star Trek and Farscape, I'd bet Farscape's aliens (alien aliens, not the Peacekeepers) are slightly more likely to be closer to reality than Trek's are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join