It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Group Of Panama Monkeys Have Entered The Stone Age

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I am posting this here because I was not really sure what category it would fit in.

People are so worried about the political climate of today that they forget that we, as humans, can easily die out and a new species could take over the world.

It's a prelude into the fate of humanity.

It's probably how we, as Homo Sapiens, climbed the ladder to where we are now.

Researchers have discovered that one population of white-faced capuchin monkeys in Panama have entered the Stone Age. The monkeys have started using stone tools to break nuts and shellfish, making them the fourth type of primates to do so after us. As reported in New Scientist, the group inhabits Jicarón island, a small island off the coast of Panama and part of the Coiba National Park. Three islands make up the national park, with capuchin monkeys on all three of them. However, only the monkeys on Jicarón have started using tools – and not all the capuchins at that. Only the males in a particular region of the island use them. A paper with the findings is currently available on BioArXiv. “We were surprised that this behaviour appears to be geographically localised,” lead author Brendan Barrett at the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology told New Scientist The first report of this behavior in the park's monkeys dates back to 2004, when co-author Alicia Ibáñez noticed the monkeys using stone tools. Researchers went back in March 2017 and placed camera traps across the three islands to catch the monkeys in the act. The team witnessed the male monkeys break coconuts, crabs, and snails. However, it is unclear why this behavior is not more spread out to other groups on the island. The researchers note that individual monkeys move between groups, so in theory the innovation should spread.

The team suggest that it is possible that entering the Stone Age has a chance component to it, rather than being an expected trajectory for primates. Perhaps, for example, a smarter-than-average individual began using the tools and the others copied him. Given limited food options, tools can increase their chance of survival.

www.iflscience.com...

Sooner or later, we will be gone and replaced.

Politics aside.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

There's a good chance that if we are still a threat to ourselves; the day we die, we will take everyone and everything with us.

Edit to add:

Fantastic thread topic.

edit on 2 7 18 by projectvxn because: Edited some typos

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Thanks for sharing That video. There are more primates exhibiting tool using abilities also.

Chimps and more and it has been observed for some time now.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Yep, we're on our way out the door and the race for our replacement is already on!

Nice to see something besides politics! S & F for you!

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

They already appear more intelligent than most humans I know.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

There's a good chance that if we are still a threat to ourselves; the day we die, we will take everyone and everything with us.

Edit to add:

Fantastic thread topic.

Life finds a way, brother. Just look at places where human don't or can not live and has abandoned those places.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I heard Zuckerburg is air dropping smart phones in the jungle with the hopes of bulstering ad revenue.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I am not naming names, but I totally agree.

Perspective has been lost in this world.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I heard Zuckerburg is air dropping smart phones in the jungle with the hopes of bulstering ad revenue.

I believe it ! LOL !

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Crows have been using tools for awhile now. And not sure what this has to do with humans dying out or being replaced. Certain people seem to have a fetish for that. Weird.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

*Flings poo at avatar*

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I thought this was old news. That said I also remember them already saying same or similar species in other areas are slowly starting to do the same thing. This may not be well sourced but they were going on about DNA and how it stores information and has a sort of memory in laments terms. They were researching the collective consciousness of animals and why they are finding some species learn something and its a matter of months or less than a year a similar or same species on a separate continent start doing the same.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I was just thinking that if there were some kind of alien species willing to "save us" ,they would more than likely take the monkeys first to give them a second chance at evolving into better humans.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Predictive programming.....(Now I know apes and monkeys are very different, I wonder if these monkeys were actually a result of an experiment a la Planet of the Apes)

edit on 7/2/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomthoughts12

I thought this was old news. That said I also remember them already saying same or similar species in other areas are slowly starting to do the same thing. This may not be well sourced but they were going on about DNA and how it stores information and has a sort of memory in laments terms. They were researching the collective consciousness of animals and why they are finding some species learn something and its a matter of months or less than a year a similar or same species on a separate continent start doing the same.

From the article........

The team suggest that it is possible that entering the Stone Age has a chance component to it, rather than being an expected trajectory for primates. Perhaps, for example, a smarter-than-average individual began using the tools and the others copied him. Given limited food options, tools can increase their chance of survival. The team hope that more research and further observations of these monkeys will help explain what is going on. The white-faced capuchins are the second American species to enter the Stone Age. Another group of capuchins, found in South America, use stone tools and may have done so for 700 years. The other two species are macaques in Thailand and chimpanzees in West Africa.

It's like how we , as a species learn, by someone smarter than us learning a new survival skill and the rest of the tribe mimicking that same action.

I do it everyday, teaching an apprentice a new skill. It's how children learn. From our past experiences.

It's how some species advance.

My main point is that we, as a species , will one day become extinct . And that there are other species waiting to take a turn at ruling the land.

We are a mere blib on this planet.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I love monkeys! They are very curious about human behavior. I stayed in an open air house(no doors or windows) on 100 hectares(about 250 acres) in Costa Rica near the Panama border. There were about a hundred monkeys sitting in the trees around the house, just watching our every move, all day, every day. Never came into the house at all. They just seemed to like to watch us. So awesome

Thanks for posting

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
a reply to: projectvxn

I was just thinking that if there were some kind of alien species willing to "save us" ,they would more than likely take the monkeys first to give them a second chance at evolving into better humans.

I would believe this is very possible, and may have happened in the past. They, the extraterrestrials, may be disappointed in the latest experiment and are waiting for our demise, maybe even hurrying it up, to start the next experiment.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
Crows have been using tools for awhile now. And not sure what this has to do with humans dying out or being replaced. Certain people seem to have a fetish for that. Weird.

Otters use tools
After a bit of a search,melephants, Dolphins, octopi and some rodents

Slow news day or people who have little education learning something new

Also the idea it's a first in the species because we havnt observed it before is also dumb
edit on 2-7-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Just wait till that group of monkeys figures out they bash other monkeys skulls as well as coconuts and crabs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join