It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The issue with atheism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Atheism Is NOT a religion !
It IS a Individual choice to Not follow a religion.
so why are you thinking of them as a religion?

They do Not follow any doctoring!
they dont get to gether in a anti church to not pray!
they dont have unholy days.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
Atheism Is NOT a religion !
It IS a Individual choice to Not follow a religion.
so why are you thinking of them as a religion?

They do Not follow any doctoring!
they dont get to gether in a anti church to not pray!
they dont have unholy days.
It is more like, “there are people making claims, and i do not believe them”

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

And less people are believing in gods by the year, at the last census 25% declared 'no faith' while pundits are expecting it to be the biggest socio-demographic in the next census. I'm tempted to see if a bookies will give me odds on that as fun bet.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

And less people are believing in gods by the year, at the last census 25% declared 'no faith' while pundits are expecting it to be the biggest socio-demographic in the next census. I'm tempted to see if a bookies will give me odds on that as fun bet.

My guess is that the number is much higher than that, and many people just don’t want their grandparents to have heart attacks.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

My guess is that the number is much higher than that, and many people just don’t want their grandparents to have heart attacks.
Indeed, the British Social Attitudes survey in 2017 had it as 53% no faith, I can't wait to see what the next census will show.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Indeed, the British Social Attitudes survey in 2017 had it as 53% no faith, I can't wait to see what the next census will show.
My wildest guess is over 50%. That may be a bit of wishful thinking, but i think OPs like this, and the conversations that follow, do more for awareness than most things.

Thanks OP for abandoning this thread so that we can have rational conversations about this topic. You have single handedly brought out many christians to defend atheists against your poorly thought out OP.
edit on 10-5-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I think that is misleading. I believe the census is moreso showing a lack in belief in major religions, but not so much an uptick in overall atheism. For instance, my dog tags while in the military said "Christian Non-Denominational". At the time I wouldn't have told you I was atheist, but I'd still fall into that uptick you mentioned.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Atheist, religious folks, or anyone claiming to know the REAL truth use the same building block to build their own belief foundation.

They all have to take a leap of faith at the end to construct their believe system.Their is no scientific fact to come to a final valid conclusion, hence a leap of faith at the end.

Sure some have a better hypothesis than others , but in the end its about faith.

Personally i accept that i know jack about the truth and I'm ok with that and being agnostic on the issue.

edit on 07531America/ChicagoThu, 10 May 2018 09:07:16 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Hmm, I'm not so sure...

Compared with the 2001 Census the most significant trends were an increase in the population reporting no religion – from 14.8 per cent of the population in 2001 to 25.1 per cent in 2011, a drop in the population reporting to be Christian - from 71.7 per cent in 2001 to 59.3 per cent in 2011, and an increase in all other main religions. The number of Muslims increased the most from 3.0 per cent in 2001 to 4.8 per cent in 2011.

...seems like a rise to me, maybe it's because 10 years of old religious people dying off and new people being born not raised with any faith?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Maybe... I just don't think that "no religion" == atheist. It just comes across as a rather large leap in logic to me. Now, I'll give you that atheists would be included in that statistic, but would only be a subset of the total stat.
edit on 10-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Very true, the British Humanist society campaigned against the wording of the question for similar reasons, no faith would be a better choice in my mind. The problem with 'atheist' I think is the label has become toxic to many people because of the ridiculous claims made by theists.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I think I'll abandon this thread. It's too emotional. How about some self control.

How about adressing my claim that if you claim you worship nothing you are claiming to be sovereign.
Only a souvereign being, of which there is only one, God, does not worship anything.
The word says itself "souvereign".

But, easy as it is as an atheist, there is no need to explain souvereign, it's not in the dictionary cause nothing like that exists, so they claim.

I see I'm wasting my time, really.
edit on 10-5-2018 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

You have no idea what atheism is all about. From the horse's mouth:

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.” Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God” betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.”

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion.

While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. To put it in a more humorous way: If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.

www.atheists.org...

When any theist talks about atheism it immediately makes me think they have a lack of faith in their own religion. Who cares what non-believers think.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Lol you coward, I don't see it too emotional anywhere, you just failed to rationally argue your case and are running away all butt hurt I reckon.
LMFAO!

EDIT
Just seen your edit:

How about adressing my claim that if you claim you worship nothing you are claiming to be sovereign.

I worship nothing and don't make any claims to be sovereign, I'm just an independent human being who doesn't believe in any gods.
Your argument is painfully flawed, and I think you realise it yourself lol
edit on 10-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

I still don't know what you mean.

To me atheism is the modern word for ignorance.

Perhaps that might b what you explained, who knows.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

look, another friendly atheist

the souvereign are really tough

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

no, after all of the explaining I still don't want to become an atheist

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

"claiming to be sovereign" has nothing to do with atheism. Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in God.

Sovereignty has to do with form of government, specifically, monarchy. You would think an omnipotent God who needs absolutely NOTHING from us would be a wee bit more egalitarian in his choice of divine government. It's just an amazing coincidence I guess that God's preferred form of government is monarchy happened to be the very same government King James preferred. And even more amazing, King James wrote a book title, "The True Law of Free Monarchies" in which he argues the king is actually God and Divine authority on Earth. Wow, who would have imagined such a coincidence!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

look, another friendly atheist

the souvereign are really tough

Lol, I don't know about 'tough' but certainly far superior at thinking and debating with logic.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

No one is asking you to. But my claim is why do you comment at all about atheism? Is your faith in God so weak that you feel compelled to defend your beliefs against people who don't think the same way your do? It makes no sense.

Atheists, like Christians, there are good ones and there are d-bags.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join