It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

police shot my friend in a peaceful town

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: projectvxn

Might be a peaceful town OP. But your buddy made his bed. Don’t be a criminal and this won’t happen to you.

Drug abuse being one of those summary execution crimes, got it.

Probably a criminal, deserved it and all.

You don't have to be a criminal to be killed by the police nowadays, all you have to do is be 'suspicious', run away, fail to follow exact instructions, 'have priors', etc.

That is true. I was lucky a few years ago, cop came over, punched my friend in the head, so I ran. They sent their dog after me, I went straight up a tree. Spent a couple of hours in jail once I came out of the tree. The cop in charge let me out, once he found out why I ran.

I have a deep fear of cops, to this day. I've had two other female friends badly beat up by cops, for no reason. Both tried to have the cops charged, but civilian against cop, you need too many witnesses.

Some are good, but the bad ones leave bad memories. Especially if you're only 110 lbs, and know that they'll hit a woman as easily as they'll hit a guy.

Even if the OP's friend had criminal tendencies, it still sucks to lose a friend

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Sometimes deadly force is the only option.

Your example is form a different case altogether.

I could just as easily counter sometimes police use tasers to torture suspects to death, choke hold them to death, run them over with their vehicle, beat them to death, suicide them in jail... etc, etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So, Champney had a warrant out for his arrest, led the police on a car chase that ended in a crash, and then he fled on foot into the field and was subsequently shot four times, one bullet being fatal.

More thorough link

This literally seems to be all of the information that we have, and the attorney general said that the report determining whether the shooting was justified will not be released until the investigation is complete (which makes sense, since the investigation may find facts that alter the determination surrounding the use of deadly force).

So, the bottom line is this: We don't have enough information to determine what happened. The OP may think that he knows what happened, and think that he knows that the police are lying, but hopefully we have dashcam or bodycam video and audio that gives us a better understanding soon.

But from what we've had to figure out for ourselves (since the OP was sorely lacking any information), we just don't have enough facts to support the OP's claims yet.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SatansPride

www.vnews.com...

they are covering it up. ive liked the police, most of the upper valley does. people are afraid of what they see on the news is real now because of them shooting an unarmed man & lying about everything that happend. our town was peaceful but i feel like its about to go to hell because the corrupt swine disease spreading like stds is here. it sucks so bad that this happend but you dont # with us, we dont take this # in the # round here. if this disease is finally here you know americas screwed to the point where its hurting good towns & a completely legal uprising is surfacing.

You aren't going to get a lot of sympathy for your friend, no one is going to be outraged because he was a known drug dealer. Our culture has been spoon fed The War On Drugs for decades now. Drug users and dealers are seen as violent criminals that are not only capable of ANY crime but it's assumed that they have probably committed something that makes them deserving of death, and as such any punishment the police see fit to mete out is considered appropriate. In fact, the harsher the better. Killing these guys is good PR for law enforcement. Culturally, we imprison and kill who we are mad at the most, not necessarily who is a greater threat to individuals or society at large. Drug dealers are a favorite scape goat for the public.

Drug dealers are (generally) not good people, but it doesn't mean that the cops get to shoot on sight. That isn't how the law is supposed to work, but if you're a dealer, and even to a point, if you're a junkie, functionally, that's how the law does work because the public will support it. No one is going to hold law enforcement accountable for cutting down one more smack dealer. No. One. It's not right, or fair, or even in the best interest of society, but it is.

Law enforcement has complete social support to do whatever they want to with any drug dealer with no repercussions, and they know it, as the responses on this thread demonstrate. There will be no justice for your friend. I'm sorry for that, and I'm sorry for your loss.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Right. Get pulled over, take off running. That's not suspicious at all is it?
Then again, I'm not a heroin dealer, with multiple convictions and out on bond. Maybe that could have something to do with why I don't run at the sight of a cop?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Remember Walter Scott? He was pulled over for a broken brake light. He tried to run and was shot multiple times in the back. People have a fight or flight response, and it doesn’t matter whether you’re a drug dealer or a 50 year old Coast Guard veteran. It’s hard to say what any of us would do in that situation. Intellectually all of us know that you never, ever run from police. Real life isn’t like the movies where running from police actually works! But in that split second when your brain realizes you’re either going to jail (for selling drugs) or get mistreated by a racist cop, that fight or flight kicks in.

I’m sorry about your friend, regardless of what his lifestyle was.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Lucky you the tree was there.

I know of same cops used to sic dogs on homeless people (in the bushes) then deny medical treatment. One time I drove someone bleeding to the hospital.

I never had a problem because I wasn't a druggie, black or running...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Right. Get pulled over, take off running. That's not suspicious at all is it?

Doesn't warrant executing them either... Running away, unarmed, shot in back, planted evidence...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Listen man, it is clear since the turn of the century that municipalities are adopting a zero tolerance policy for crime in progress. Many officer's who attempt to deploy non-lethal measures, no doubt with the suspect's families sentiments in mind, have perished or been assaulted brutally as a result. Sometimes when a suspect gets away, other victims are created in the interim.

I think most of us learned this lesson in school over and over and over again. When you choose a life of crime of your own free will, it will lead to prison or the grave. Even for the billionaire cartel leaders, eventually they end up taken in by a government or killed off by rivals. The grave or a prison cell, that is where the free will choice of living a criminal life ends. We are taught it in schools when officers do their career day appearances and visits throughout the years.

Who is to blame when a career criminal is killed whether justifiably or not by an officer?? The blame IMO lay solely on the individual whos free will actions have led them into that situation to begin with. Sure, the officer may have pulled a trigger, but that person was doing their job. The officer would not have even encountered the individual had the suspect not chosen his actions in life the way he did.

Obviously this does not apply to innocent people forced to play twister while crawling towards six armed men. However, in the case of a criminal with a record the size of a novella, # happens.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SatansPride

Well no, you can't run from a cop without thinking your gonna get shot.
That hasnt changed!
Runing makes it worse on ya no matter what.
And honestly dude, if you feel you should be allowed to flee from police like it's your god given rite, you seriously have some major life changes you need to make asap.
Like yesterday kind of asap.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Seems the OP knew a career criminal.

There is no law which supports shooting a fleeing suspect...

You don't understand American law.

Please stop.

If you need help understanding the incorrect nature of your comment that I quoted, you can start by researching "fleeing felon rule."

Stop basing arguments on your own philosophical and moral beliefs when there are laws and court rulings that directly contradict (and overwhelmingly supersede) the veracity of your claims.

You know absolutely zero pertinent facts about this particular case that justify the use of deadly force, let alone unholstering his firearm, yet you sit here and act like an authority on the case and the law governing it.

Seriously, stop muddying the waters by transcribing your personal beliefs and presenting them as facts.

I agree that he should not be dead, but next time he'll think twice before dealing heroin, causing a warrant to be put out for him, leading police on a car chase resulting in a crash, and then fleeing on foot.

Like with everyone else, including me, you need more information before you can get on your high horse from across the pond and pretend to understand American law. But at the very least, I know that there are reasons that make shooting a fleeing suspect justified, whether or not your philosophies about law and justice allow you to comprehend that.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Listen man, it is clear since the turn of the century that municipalities are adopting a zero tolerance policy for crime in progress.

What they call "zero tolerance " is really "Totalitarian Police State".

Sich Heil.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Sounds like some people on this forum appear to support Duterte tactics. A heroin dealer is never a good thing, but getting shot for running away? That's a lazy excuse at best imo. Chase the guy down, call for backup, heat-seeking camera equipped helicopter, or maybe just wait till the next time you see him. Heroin dealers are often users themselves. I have no idea what the junk costs but if you can offset your habit by selling to others, they see that as a plus. Addiction leads to bad decisions and stupidity. This then leads to unwanted encounters with law enforcement. The police have all the time and resources to do this kind of thing. A guy running away is thinking short-term.

Yes things do sometimes go south for officers in the line of duty but to just start shooting because someone is fleeing is one of the things I find weird about the USA. Nice people, beautiful and varied country, but a trigger-happy police force that hides behind "justifiable force" is not the way to go, imo. The militarisation of police departments countrywide does not help either. Sometimes (not always!) the soft approach is the way to go. Again, imo.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Different case completely...don't conflate one that we know the details of and was obvious murder against one that we don't have any pertinent details about AND (according to the OP) consists of all lies concerning what we know anyhow.

Or are you pretending to know all of the details and therefore have made an intelligent conclusion as to this specific case? If so, please provided a bulleted list of said details, since you seem to privy to them and are leaving the rest of us in the dark.

Maybe you and TrueBrit have shared the details and come to intelligent conclusions together?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Did OP ever enlighten us as to what's being covered up and lied about? Did I miss that?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

He was selling addictive drugs. He was pushing into Big Pharma's territory. You want to compete with Pharma and oxy? Better be willing to play for keeps.
edit on 28-12-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Oh snap, you believe the police report...

What police report? I just said the guy appeared to be a scumbag heroin dealer, which he was.

Too bad, so sad.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Has the community made up a load of WLM placards and is it planning several nights of rioting and looting at the injustice?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Lol. I love this... I can't RUN from a cop without thinking imma get shot.

How about you not run from the cops then.

Jaden

P. S. Great alias, truly shows your character
edit on 28-12-2017 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

multiple witnesses say the staty never showed up till after he was shot. they could be lying. they wouldnt say town did it tho cause you dont know us, we take care of our people thats why we have been so peaceful for so long until now

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join