It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Otzi gets a movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
A german film maker has made a movie about Otzi,

Der Mann aus dem Eis (Iceman) debuted in German cinemas last month and will be released in the rest of Europe and North America next spring. Directed by Berlin-based filmmaker Felix Randau, the $4 million film is a fictional account of Ötzi’s life, all in an invented language with no subtitles. Randau was advised by scientists at the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology in Bolzano, Italy, where Ötzi’s body is on display.

Otzi Movie

I think its pretty cool he will be speaking a reconstructed language.

Q: What language is Ötzi speaking in the movie?

A: To me it always sounds ridiculous when in a movie about ancient Rome, people speak BBC English. So I contacted a linguist who reconstructed the language that could have been spoken in south Tyrol 5000 years ago. He took Rhaetic [a language spoken in the eastern Alps in pre-Roman and Roman times] and reconstructed it back to some ancient form. It’s not a real language and there are no subtitles in the movie, but you don’t have to understand the language because there isn’t much talking.

And no subtitles either, COOL

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

I always knew him as Iceman. His movie sounds intriguing. If he has gone to that extent for the language then I think that’s very telling on how meticulously detailed the rest will be. Keeps us updated when it hits North America.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I went to see the new Planet of the Apes this year and the Ape's spoke jibarish with subtitles. Much preferred the original with C.Heston where the Ape's spoke English it had a better story and was more amusing. If it is a Euro movie it will have more historical and artistic merit than a big budget American film.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I remember when Ozzy was only a reality TV show! Now he's getting a movie.

Kids, they grow up so fast these days!

/smart@ss off

That is pretty cool about the language. I like his quip about BBC English! Which is probably why Klingon sounds cool is because it was small detail in some sci-fi show (who wants to watch Wagon Train in space?) that was paid attention to. Now you have plays in Klingon, courses in Klingon, even our history of English class mentions the artificial creation of Klingon.

To Ötzi!!

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm curious to see what the movie makers think the old boy was up to that got him chased into the mountains and murdered.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If a film is well directed and acted, depending on the contet, one really doesnt need spoken language to understand the context of the material, as long as the emotion is conveyed.
I saw "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" the first time in the orginal swedish theatrical cut, with no subtitles.
Although i didnt undertand a word, I got the jist of what was going on.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Dude is famous. More so than King Tut, imo.

Tut is just a stiff in a coffin, Iceman has an adventure story to tell.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

there are no subtitles in the movie, but you don’t have to understand the language because there isn’t much talking. 

Much like Quest For Fire, which I enjoyed.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Looking forward to seeing it.

Remember this one?

edit on 12/18/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Sounds good. I'll watch it when it's available.

You might enjoy this fascinating Radiolab episode about his death - An Ice-Cold Case. It has a few morsels that were news to me.

Ah crap! I posted an Otzi thread years ago that had beautifully vivid images of him. Dang photobucket.

top topics

join