It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Largest Battery Is Turned On In Australia As Tesla Ties Into Power Grid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The batteries only will last 30 minuets too. Total cost of ownership includes a maintenance fee to replace faulty sections.

The true storage solution is not li-ion. Just because Musk can do it doesn’t mean it is the best.

Vanadium redox flow batteries are coming as are solid state batteries and capacitors.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Completely agree.

I totally dig li-ion because I can scavenge 18650's so, so easily. But, I can't fathom actually throwing all my eggs into that basket as a foundation for the future.

Seems foolish on every metric other than it can actually be done, and "work." Not enough, IMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

This guy in Australia has a silicone heat storage system that uses any heat/electrical source to melt it. The heat is stored until needed when it can be turned back into electricity. The company is called 1414 Degrees and may displace VRFBs!

China is already making a factory to make the world’s largest VRFB for their wind/solar farm.

Li-ion is a dead end... sorry Musketeers! Even Lockheed has a flow battery up it’s sleeve.

I thought it would be this year which shows how idealistic I am! But it seems that the anchor has been thrown out to give the big boys time to adapt. Notice how many car companies are going electric?

Anyhoo, it is Friday and time to have fun!!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

note if i recall correctly that was after tax breaks, govt subsidiaries and estimated cost after deducting energy usage do to solar power.

so they assumed after x amount of years the cost breaks down to around 45 bucks . it was not just 45 buxks of the bat. they used some black belt ninjisu calculations to come to that price

you can register at their site and they will call you back with any questions you have.

unfortunately i dont recall all the info, as i lost interest after they said it wasnt availanle till next year. unfortunately IRMA is forcing me to not wait.
edit on 591231America/ChicagoFri, 01 Dec 2017 20:59:57 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Yep the whole technology does.

I called to get an estimate to redo my roof with the new tesla sunroof that comes out next year and they wanted like $45 a square roof and if I recall correctly that was after the gov't incentives and tax breaks.

The cheapest dimensional shingles in my area are about $30 a square far more after installation. If you can get a tesla roof for $45 installed you have to be a fool not to go for it.

If it is not installed then it will be a little more expensive but would last a hell of a lot longer.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
The cheapest dimensional shingles in my area are about $30 a square far more after installation. If you can get a tesla roof for $45 installed you have to be a fool not to go for it.

If it is not installed then it will be a little more expensive but would last a hell of a lot longer.

Man Im skeptical even with rebates it would be that cheap.

I have a 5 kWp solar system on my roof.

250 watt panels and I have 20 of them at 17.5 sq feet each thats 350 sq feet. $20000 after rebates makes it $57 a square foot installed.

Those tiles will have to cost way more than a panel IMHO and I have a hard time thinking they will be cheaper than a solar system.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

In a few years, I will look into a new roof if they quote a relative price I will go for it.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: FredT

In a few years, I will look into a new roof if they quote a relative price I will go for it.

Yeah, my system is 4 years old. Its much cheaper now and the panel technology is getting better. I had 250 watt panels which was the best available at the time. Now 265-275 is the baseline and some companies are reporting 500 in the same panel size but they are expensive. Panels are the cheap part of the system nowadays. The inverter on the other hand is $$$$$ (almost half the cost of my system) You will get a good price down the road

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

like i said that was not the actual cost, that was using their ninjitsu math and decades of estimated savings from cutting your power bill.

testla appears to do this with all their tech. including their new semi truck.

sounds good in theory but the upfront cost and reality are probably much different than those numbers.

anyhow it aint available yet at least in my area, till next year. so will know better than.

maybe i will call them again since irma took my roof and we have a few more days till we get our final estimate for repairs.
edit on 051231America/ChicagoFri, 01 Dec 2017 22:05:17 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Because 30,000 homes for 1 hour at the cost of 50 million dollars plus is ridiculous

2. The batteries need to get better and more cost efficient

yea when you are talking man made dollars currency.
On a cosmic scale money means literally nothing, a life lesson I taught myself a long time ago. Money is nothing, energy, physics, science is ultimately everything.
edit on 1-12-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Because 30,000 homes for 1 hour at the cost of 50 million dollars plus is ridiculous

2. The batteries need to get better and more cost efficient

Not really. In the past such demand has been covered by peaking plants. They kick on and off (typically they are NG turbines almost exactly like those on airplanes) that handle increased demands above and beyond typical baseline loads. The whole reason this Tesla system came into being was of blackouts caused by high demands due to a heat wave.

So if you factor in the cost of building a NG fired plant to handle the same load, plus the ongoing cost of fuel (cheap right now, but if Trump and Netanyahu kick off that war in the ME they seem to want so badly the prices will spike) its really actually not such a bad deal.

I agree with you in regards to technology and its picking up pace so we should start seeing efficiency rise and cost drop.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What are the chances of it catching on fire or exploding on a 45C day with high power draw? Like my phone lol. Or a samsung.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

Very good I would say,most of its power would be used in cooling itself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join