It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school flies Christian flag alongside Old Glory

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

yep
and when the muslim club meets they can fly the muslim flag
as long as the clubs are treated equally its not an issue

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

If it is a club that is in fact at this school in force, with a heavy student presence, I might just accept it because it's below our flag as a symbol of subservience. I doubt that a public 9-12 has a viable basis. No one can actually be a member of anything below the age of 18 without parental consent, so this limits those who can to a 10-15% basis. Which doesn't matter if the symbolism is identical to what you might find at actual Christian schools, despite the fact that the Holy Cross vs. Red Cross are completely different.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

if
lol
i posted a link to the event
it is backed by the aclu

lol
if

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

As previously reported, in 1828, just 52 years after the nation’s founding, Noah Webster, known as the Father of American Scholarship and Education, wrote, “In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government, ought to be instructed. … No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.”

Article Guy, that's your opinion and not everyone has it. People get to practice their religion, not turn the government into it.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrdoAdChao
a reply to: Boadicea

What it looks like has little to do with the meaning once you understand it. The red-cross has been a symbol of "non-combatant" for most of the 20th+ centuries. It is the color inverse of Switzerland, which is also the historical "neutral" for the same time period. The cross is universal symbol to Christians, but not everyone else.

And that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. That the cross is universal to Christians does not mean there is a universal form of Christianity. That's a faulty premise resulting in a flawed understanding.

"Christian" itself is a moving target and means something different to everyone. And as I pointed out, some Christians can and have persecuted other Christians, and some Christians would do so again if given the chance. So our religious freedoms are not about "Christians" versus everyone else except other Christians.

It's about everyone having the freedom to practice their religion as they choose.

Do the persecuted really care what their persecutors call themselves? Or do they care that they're being persecuted?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrdoAdChao

If it is a club that is in fact at this school in force, with a heavy student presence, I might just accept it because it's below our flag as a symbol of subservience. I doubt that a public 9-12 has a viable basis. No one can actually be a member of anything below the age of 18 without parental consent, so this limits those who can to a 10-15% basis. Which doesn't matter if the symbolism is identical to what you might find at actual Christian schools, despite the fact that the Holy Cross vs. Red Cross are completely different.

What the flag in quesiton is has been well established. It isn’t really up to interpretation.

You seem to be stuck on the fact that there is a red cross on the flag. Did you read the Wikipedia citation I provided?

This flag is well-established as is its meaning. It represents the Christian Religion. The flags that fly outside a public school demonstrate the jurisdictions recognized ... the US, the given State, etc.

To fly the Christian Flag in this position is to announce that this institution represents the Christian Religion.

edit on 23-10-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

DAMN right I DO, unless they support SHARIA.THEN I have another duty to perform and they are amongst them,as well as Americans.
I HAVE shown professional restraint ,none have challenged the country around me with their faith yet,that I have met.JUST the atrocities of war involved and their understandable hatred of the death(WHICH WAS the job however improperly informed) and of course with not knowing how to confront a non uniformed target demographic,throw in a traitor in chief and HERE we are.

ON MY level I wait until one actually TRIES to kill first ,then I go play poker again.

edit on 23-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

How is CREEDE defined as a legal entity?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The flag flying outside this school is not due to some event.

The red, white and blue has flown outside LaPoynor High School in LaRue, Texas for as far back as anyone can remember.

But instead of 50 stars on a blue field, this flag bears a cross - a symbol of the Christian faith.

The Christian flag flies alongside the Texas flag and Old Glory

Fox News

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

How is CREEDE defined as a legal entity?

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I don’t see the word “creed” in that Oath, soldier.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

that is different from the op article

different circumstances completely

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Someone learn me something...

If congress hasn’t established a law, is this topic still a violation of the 1st?

It can. It arguably violates the SCOTUS interpretation of the establishment clause of the First Amendment.

The First Amendment's Establishment Clause prohibits the government from making any law “respecting an establishment of religion.” This clause not only forbids the government from establishing an official religion, but also prohibits government actions that unduly favor one religion over another.

Establishment Clause 1

Establishment Clause 2

SCOTUS Cases on the broad issue of Separation of Church and State

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

No but you DO see "GOD", which I have chosen to POLITELY interpret as our prime creator ,thus supporting the "People of the Book" idea as I FEEL God intends.
NOT that my decisions at this time are any but my own,I call me HERETIC, it kills unnecessary conversations and YES causes my wife to cry.
NEVER will trust ROMAN imperial decisions about a damn thing , either.
edit on 23-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
i wish people would stop trying to suppressing expression of religion by twisting the intent of the separation of church and state to imply that religious symbols and anything that in any way expresses christian beliefs are somehow forcing christianity on people.
the separation of church and state prohibits the government from making laws that try to force people to be any specific religion or to obey any church like entity, it was never meant to be used as an excuse to silence any one religion due to offense.
if anything these atheist organizations that keep using the law like this are acting more like the church than anything, silencing another belief to force their own beliefs on people, freedom from religion you say? how about freedom from atheism? from what i see this flag was a protest against radical atheism trying to suppress freedom of religion unjustly and constantly.

if it was me i'd place a life size cross right in front of the headquarters of this organization to really piss them off.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

that is different from the op article

different circumstances completely

Nah.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

if it was me i'd place a life size cross right in front of the headquarters of this organization to really piss them off.

As long as you foot the bill we wouldn't really care. By all means go ahead.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

People are free to promote a religion on private property anytime they so desire. No one can't silence that action.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I will admit you lost me there Cav.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

The Supreme Court disagrees with your opinion in at least 8 landmark cases.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

Mine was BEAT into me BY MY media programming(60s -80s) a SILENT, RETIRED ,USAF officer father who DIED at 14..as well as other issues concerning MY definitions of what I call a COMBAT AMERICAN.
A civilian's laws are written in a foreign language requiring an EXPENSIVE interpreter to get right,BUT HOW are RACE and CREEDE as well as ORIGIN legally defined in balance to each term?
I AM literally a BASTARD ,I am the result of a SECRET adoption in Arkansas..so I don't HAVE an origin but this.
I can NEVER alter what I believe I am, if I feel correct in its execution.
THIS judgement stuff IS ALWAYS hit and miss GRAY to me anyway,popular culture is USUALLY crap,I noticed it when they started that "GOODY,GOODY" have a nice day happy face..aggravating platitudes,PARROTED again,and again and again...now it's PC slogans...WAY worse.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join