It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school flies Christian flag alongside Old Glory

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Christiannews.net Source

So here is yet another example of a publicly funded institution openly defying the First Amendment. I don't understand why it takes complaints to stir the meager minds of the school's administration instead of them simply realizing that this a fundamental issue that has been addressed several times by the SCOTUS. How is the separation of church and state so difficult to comprehend? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

This might be a "mountain out of a molehill", but even devout Christians in America need to understand the sacredness of the Bill of Rights - in its entirety - without stretching to interpretive extremes.

Aside from that, the article included one of my historical pet peeves:

“The Freedom From Religion organization really has a distorted and inaccurate view of the separation of Church and State in the First Amendment,” one attendee stated. “Matter of fact, I’d like to say that their viewpoint is probably void and alien to that of our founding fathers.”

I know it's just a quote from some random attendee, but, it's flat out inaccurate and its inclusion in the article is obviously meant as a dog-whistle. The most commonly cited of the founding fathers were Jesus-inspired Deists (save for Adams, who was a devout Christian). I'd say the plain wording of the first 10 in the BoR is intentional so they cannot be over interpreted. Of course, they have been, much like how we didn't follow the whole "no political parties, please" advice from Washington.

Regardless, it seems like a pretty cut and dry "No religious flags flying in front of public schools. Period." My main question outside of opinions would be how is it acceptable in terms of the 1st to do this at a public school?

Thanks in advance, ATS denizens!
edit on 23-10-2017 by OrdoAdChao because: PUBLIC schools

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

Are 2nd Amendment rights honored on public school campuses? No? Hmm, then I reckon there's no reason not to ignore people's ranting support of a bastardized view of the first on the same campuses.

(Oh, FYI... there is nothing in the Constitution granting freedom from religion, it is specificially freedom OF religion. Yes, there's a world of difference.)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
On one hand... I don’t really care...
It’s a flag. No one is being forcefully converted.

On the other hand... if this was a Star & Crescent Flag...
Oh boy the outrage would be everywhere.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
(Oh, FYI... there is nothing in the Constitution granting freedom from religion, it is specificially freedom OF religion. Yes, there's a world of difference.)

That's fair. Then that school needs to fly a flag of every religion in the world.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Oh, FYI... there is nothing in the Constitution granting freedom from religion, it is specificially freedom OF religion.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where does it say “freedom of religion”?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

It asked that the flag be removed.

Asked

“The district must immediately remove the Christian flag from school grounds. In addition, the district must ensure that its staff members are not organizing, promoting or participating in religious events while acting in their official capacities…,” FFRF wrote.

My Bold, I LOLd

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Are 2nd Amendment rights honored on public school campuses? No? Hmm, then I reckon there's no reason not to ignore people's ranting support of a bastardized view of the first on the same campuses.

How can you have freedom of religion without having freedom from religion? We are free from the government imposing a religion on us over our relgions.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

i has only visited this thread to find out what a :

" christian flag "

is

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i has only visited this thread to find out what a :

" christian flag "

is

I was actually pretty curious myself too. Never seen one before.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Its inappropriate for a public school to champion a single religion. Thats how they do it in places like Saudi Arabia. So, no thats not American. I dont have much against Chriatianity or other religions, save a serious raised eyebrow at Islam. Need to keep it on your own property though. This is not a theocracy and should not become one.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's news to me that a "Christian flag" exists. Who had the authority to choose one?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The article says this.

"but it is unclear whether students raised the flag or if school officials did so."

If school officials did, then they need reprimanded.

If students did, then are they covered by their first amendment rights as so many here claim students have?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Governments in the US are Constitutionally restricted from establishing religion in any way.

That includes school districts.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Exactly...lol which Christian denomination is that flag representing?

"A" flag of some Christian church is better.

Christian flag lol

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The imaginary students of yours are not the only students with First Amendment rights. Also they don’t own the school.

link   
God, here I am feeling like an idiot not knowing there even was a christian flag.

Who knew.

link   

If this bothers you, then you must be of the same mind set of the BLM movement that wants to destroy history and really need to wake up or move to a country where you can be free Lol. Really feel sorry for your kind

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

from wikipedia

"Separation of church and state" is paraphrased from Thomas Jefferson and used by others in expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States which reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

The phrase "separation between church & state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper. Jefferson wrote,

“ "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."[1]

separation of church and state wikipedia page

so if this is to be followed then no religious flag, beads, rugs, candles, etc. should be displayed at any public building or office. i would even think this would include but not limited to christmas trees.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

syatp.com...

I think the flag was in cahoots with this event.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join