It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school flies Christian flag alongside Old Glory

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Still trying to figure out who's speech was being denied by the government.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Do they mean this one? There's a cross on it, anyway-

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Schools can do whatever they want, duh.

They are Public/Private property - They hold all of the benefits and abilities of both types of property, yet are not restricted the way either types of property are.

They are magical places where Individual rights no longer exist, in direct circumvention of the constitution, because.... well....... beyond some ass backward reasoning by the pro-state supreme court, nobody really knows why.

Public (and really any) schools for that matter are disgusting, crooked indoctrination centers that answer to no one.

This is not surprising in any way shape or form.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Still trying to figure out who's speech was being denied by the government.

I am wondering how anyone in Wisconsin was damaged by students in Texas?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

If it’s the one I’m thinking about it started out as a southern thing.

Well wrong about that.

Christian Flag
edit on 23-10-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Growing up we used to pledge to the Christian flag right after pledging to the USA flag every Sunday at churches.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Someone learn me something...

If congress hasn’t established a law, is this topic still a violation of the 1st?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Alright, so back to copypasta for all of my posts due to random logouts. I had a reply, but I guess I have to restate it:

I don't outright disagree with you, except for the fact that the 2nd starts with "A well regulated militia". I dunno how you interpret that outright, but for me it's essentially stating that no random idiot has the right to wander around with a gun in order to defend their constitutional rights. They can own firearms to hunt or protect themselves from individual citizens, but the right is bestowed upon the "well regulated" is not that. I have a CCW, have no formal training but I do not carry at work. I allow for the dissolution of "militia" into "one or more individuals" because, well, there does exist the notion of a "one man army" that might spark the right groups into action.

Regardless, this is about the 1st and not the 2nd. Your point is very valid, but each right has limits. Police officers can carry guns in schools, as they fall under the "well regulated" part of the 2nd. Random cool parent could bring a gun (unloaded, for sake of common sense) to school to educate the kids on guns and be at no fault. Random teacher with CCW to protect themselves (inside or outside of their job) probably shouldn't, because I had little to prove that I had a reason to receive it aside from the fact that someone due to my line of work might want go to those lengths. And I still do not carry at work, where said individuals would have no problem making sure that I didn't make it back whether or not I had a gun.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

That's a good observation. But are laws and rights the same?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The restriction applies to all States and local governments through the Fourteenth Amendment.

Establishment has been interpreted as any act or permitted act.

The act of displaying a flag alongside the US flag is about the most direct example of establishment I’ve seen.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

I don't understand why it takes complaints to stir the meager minds of the school's administration instead of them simply realizing that this a fundamental issue that has been addressed several times by the SCOTUS.

Because what this article addresses is in compliance with what the SCOTUS has ruled.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

So this mysterious Christian flag isn't so mysterious. It wasn't to me, but in hindsight that might be because I am obviously an atheist. "Know thine enemy" etc. et all (Jesus included with Sun Tzu)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: OrdoAdChao
(Oh, FYI... there is nothing in the Constitution granting freedom from religion, it is specificially freedom OF religion. Yes, there's a world of difference.)

That's fair. Then that school needs to fly a flag of every religion in the world.

How so? We live in a society of majorities... not everybody is going to experience the same degree of representation and appeasement of the majority, that's simply mathematics of economics. If this was a school in a majority Muslim community or majority native or majority Hindu, then the flag could easily be something from their cultural beliefs.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

How is it in compliance? The SCOTUS ruled that direct Christian symbolism is A-OK in public schools?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Oh, FYI... there is nothing in the Constitution granting freedom from religion, it is specificially freedom OF religion.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where does it say “freedom of religion”?

How does a school displaying a flag constitute "Congress making a law?" The display doesn't violate the First in any way.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Absolutely it would be, as well as an affront to the 1st.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: luke1212

Wow. Way to straw-man. This is almost as good as the "sperm-to-woman's-brain" theory that my last pro-atheist thread produced.

Want to destroy history? How? By actually teaching the fact that most of the founding fathers were far from the mega-church attending or the nondenominational-because-we-want-to-believe-what-we-want-to-believe folks?

They were. Extremely so. They denounced the supernatural for the concrete and physical. Oh the horrors!

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Oh, FYI... there is nothing in the Constitution granting freedom from religion, it is specificially freedom OF religion.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where does it say “freedom of religion”?

How does a school displaying a flag constitute "Congress making a law?" The display doesn't violate the First in any way.

It violates the Establishment Clause. Taxpayers pay for this public school which includes paying for the religious flags.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not speech. It has to do with the "an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". By that, the state (publicly funded schools in this case) cannot establish a religion. Establish in this case is: "achieve permanent acceptance or recognition for". Flying the American flag establishes "permanent acceptance or recognition for" the "Americaness" of this school, and the Christian flag establishes the "Christianess" of this school.
edit on 23-10-2017 by OrdoAdChao because: Freudian slip? Probably.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

But where does it violate the first? It does not in any way shape or form. Just in the heads of those who don't understand what the just read.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join