It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school flies Christian flag alongside Old Glory

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

But from what op is complaing about doesn't violate the first .

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: luke1212
a reply to: subfab

But where does it violate the first? It does not in any way shape or form. Just in the heads of those who don't understand what the just read.

Taxpayers pay for the religious flags. The government is using tax to pay for the Christian flag and for the staff to maintain it. That is an establishment of Christian religion, whichever denomination that is (which incidentally what the Founding Fathers intended in the first place anyway).

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: luke1212

But where does it violate the first? It does not in any way shape or form. Just in the heads of those who don't understand what the just read.

What does flying a flag mean? In general.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I would go so far as to say that Christmas is about Christ as much as Easter is today. Holidays are a cultural norm in the States (unless you're JW). There isn't much to do with Christ in any of the traditionally religious holidays unless you want there to be.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Establishing an idea. Unless you're at war. Then the flag has other meanings.
edit on 23-10-2017 by OrdoAdChao because: then a

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Yup. With the passage of the post Civil War amendments, the constitution became applicable to the states as well. Prior to that many states actually had state churches.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Excellent point! But, we both know that most who would support a Christian flag in front of public schools would be happy to support further erosion of the 1st.
edit on 23-10-2017 by OrdoAdChao because: from to of

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I forgot my eaten retort to your parenthetical FYI:

As an atheist, I could care less if the majority of people around me believe in an invisible sky fairy that knows your every thought and action. I think it's nonsense.

It's also fun to note that anyone who screams "NOT FREEDOM FROM RELIGION" is the first to call atheism (or science) a religion.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

is the schopl making anyone worship?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrdoAdChao
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not speech. It has to do with the "an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". By that, the state (publicly funded schools in this case) cannot establish a religion. Establish in this case is: "achieve permanent acceptance or recognition for". Flying the American flag establishes "permanent acceptance or recognition for" the "Americaness" of this school, and the Christian flag establishes the "Christianess" of this school.

So a school flying some flag is a Christian dominance thing.

When businesses fly the rainbow flag, are they establishing that everyone at the business is gay?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

What does a private business's decisions have to do with public institutions?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Here’s a clue: (from my citation linked above)

Some churches practice a "pledge of allegiance" or "affirmation of loyalty" to the Christian Flag, which is similar to the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag. The first pledge was written by Lynn Harold Hough, a Methodist minister who had heard Ralph Diffendorfer, secretary to the Methodist Young People's Missionary Movement, promoting the Christian flag at a rally. He wrote the following pledge:

I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Saviour for whose kingdom it stands; one brotherhood, uniting all mankind in service and in love.

Some more conservative churches may use an alternative version of the pledge:

I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag, and to the Saviour for whose Kingdom it stands; one Saviour, crucified, risen, and coming again with life and liberty for all who believe.

Any more questions?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Looks like a Red Cross flag to me. And upon looking it up, because I had never heard of a "Christian" flag before, the official Christian flag --

...has a white field, with a red Latin cross inside a blue canton. The shade of red on the cross symbolizes the blood that Jesus shed on Calvary.

Wikipedia: Christian Flag

However, in terms of the establishment of religious freedom by our founding fathers, what I would point out is that those fleeing religious persecution for religious freedom were fleeing Christian persecution. So the whole idea that any form of Christianity represents all Christians is ridiculous. Our religious freedom protects Christians from other Christians as much as it protects any other religion from Christianity.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I had no idea there was such a thing. A Christian flag. Interesting.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Well said.

edit on 23-10-2017 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Good I'm not the only one in the dark here.

link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

No, but they are establishing a religion in the same sense that they're establishing their Americanism. I am fine with the American flag being flown, as it is an American institution.

link   

originally posted by: OrdoAdChao

What does a private business's decisions have to do with public institutions?

It's also flown on state and federal buildings.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Wait, there are more public institutions flying this religious symbol? Which?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

no is the correct answer

now please site the SCOTUS ruling you are up in arms about

the event in question was not during school hours

all types of CLUBS are allowed at schools
no matter what you are biggotted against

edit on 23/10/2017 by shooterbrody because: poor spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>