It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who can identify these models in the Northrop exec's office?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

After 2014 ....who'd have bet against that prediction?

I still eagerly open the aviation sites every day looking for news on Wichita FML.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 like Blackfinger said, maybe these are just projects he was personally involved in at some point. I certainly would do something like that.

No need to jump to conclusions, there have been far too many rumors about secret airframes based solely on some obscure model displayed somewhere.

But your insitence is duely noted

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

It's not insistence. I just don't see, even for a project he was involved in, paying that kind of cost for a one off model. Even though they're usually wood, those things aren't cheap, and buying a one off would be a lot worse. He has the money to do it, but I just don't see doing it personally.
edit on 9/7/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Which is expensive as hell. Those models ain't cheap and limited runs, just to have a model you can't talk about are even worse.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah when I was at Duxford they were selling models I was like oo I fancy the Sr71 model till I saw the £300 price tag...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

I could see someone like a Northrop Grumman executive getting such an item as a gift for working on a project, even if it were only for something as small an extensive design study that he was a major part of.

£300 is nothing.
edit on 7/9/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
ah come on, NG just bought a 3d Printer to screw with us
if they find out about this discussion we'll get starships next time

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

Most likely it'll be gifted. But £300 can still go a long way to an extent it's the same as a monthly mortgage payment for me.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
That's why most of the defense contractors, Northrop included, actually have a dedicated display model shop for these things, and they build a bunch of them. Y'all should be most interested in the model next to the "cranked kite"..As for the size of these models, some are 1/48 scale while others are 1/72

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: EBJet

I'm still parsing over the differences between the model on his desk and the far right on the bookshelf. It's pretty clear that they're playing with an F-117 sized tailless cranked kite evolution that may or may not be transonic/supersonic. What they're using it for is anyone's guess, though.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: EBJet
That's why most of the defense contractors, Northrop included, actually have a dedicated display model shop for these things, and they build a bunch of them. Y'all should be most interested in the model next to the "cranked kite"..As for the size of these models, some are 1/48 scale while others are 1/72

They don't tend to build them for concept projects though in my experience. I had a Typhoon, EAP and Airbus all from Projects I worked on, I didn't have one from any of the concept wind tunnel test models and I am pretty sure those on the Replica project didn't get any either.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Bingo.

Beat me to it

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

In my experience, there have been a good number of models given out, mostly to higher ups (with some exceptions) and especially to test pilots who have flown said aircraft. I actually happen to have a few myself...That and a few other goodies

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

There are marked differences between the far right model and the one on the desk..If only one could enlarge the pic enough to see what it says on the desk model stands nameplate

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Ots super pixelated when i enlarge the photo. But the one on top has got something going on just off to the port side of its upper fuselage. Either its the engine intake or a tail. I just see a square pixel when i enlarge it. Also it could be the angle but the starboard wing looks like its not as swept back as the port side. I dunno im squinting on my phone looking at the image.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: EBJet

In my experience, there have been a good number of models given out, mostly to higher ups (with some exceptions) and especially to test pilots who have flown said aircraft. I actually happen to have a few myself...That and a few other goodies

Were any of those models just a concept though, fair play if they flew, like i said I had an EAP one but noone got a Replica one AFAIK. I think this thing flew hence his model and they arent saying otherwise, just it was a concept.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   

They almost look like the same fuselage with different wings. Almost. At the same time, the more I look at the one on his table, the more the planform looks like the Amarillo bird. What I'd give to see it's trailing edge.

Also, having the high res image does nothing to clarify that lump on the top right model.
edit on 8-9-2017 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

The second one in on the right looks like a quite boom demonstrator or my eyes are playing tricks on me

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Yes, there were conceptual models that never flew, for instance, various gestations of JAST, JSF, ATF, ATA etc..

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
It also looks like this:

articles.sae.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join