It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Just Teleported a Photon from Earth to Orbit for the First Time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
China seems to be leading the way in so many technologies, we need to focus on science, divert the huge sums of money that were going to researching the global warming hoax, and direct them back to real science.

Next Step: Beam me up Scottie.

Researchers from China successfully teleported a photon from Earth to a satellite 500 km away. The work is an essential step towards establishing a global-scale quantum internet.

futurism.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: XStraw

Can you go into a little more detail over what this means for us here on earth?

Thankers.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Well, truly, I don't understand it enough to put it into my own words, is there some physicists guys or gals or here?

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
They were experimenting with this technology to rekey satellites at Los Alamos back in the 80's.
Might be the most secure system available for small bandwidth key transfers.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: XStraw
a reply to: silo13

Well, truly, I don't understand it enough to put it into my own words, is there some physicists guys or gals or here?

It's simply Quantum entanglement of photons. They entangled two photons down on Earth, then reflect one up into space towards the satellite. The sensors on the satellite can detect the quantum state of that photon. The sensors on the ground measure the quantum state of the Earth-bound photon. The researchers can compare the results from the two sensors and tell if any have been intercepted in a satellite-in-the-middle attack.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I got a photon up my nostril.
Making me sneeze.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It is a small step towards bi location or in other words to be in 2 places at once...
Should mankind ever see this progress far enough to control the already known abilities of said particles truly fantastic abilities would be available to be harnessed...
For example remote viewing of planets so distant that the measurement which exceeds even our imagination would be possible at thought speed and return imaging in real time even...
If that is not enough for you to think upon...
To those of other worlds whom we may one day view in this way may be left in awe by the strange light array which seemingly blinked into existence from out of nowhere dazzling any observer then leaving them dumbfounded as it winked out and vanished...
Sounds kind of familiar huh?

edit on 13-7-2017 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

This doesn't mean faster than light communication does it?

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

It most certainly does atleast at the extremes of its potentialities...
edit on 13-7-2017 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle

It most certainly does

Cool, Einstein finally proven wrong with his nonsense about nothing faster than light.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

It most certainly does

Riddle me that? It's using photons as the transport, that's not faster than light...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The same particle existing in two seperate locations at the same time is reality... This is just a step in the right direction towards understanding that...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Welcome OP. Did you arrive on a photon? You're quick to post topical threads, I'm sure the quantum entanglement has somewhere a "Hi!" thread

May the photon be with you. and you. at great distance.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Well you certainly kicked down the door and came in with a bang.
This could lead to some real mind bending technology and capabilities. Some we may have already witnessed 2nd hand. Fookin cool stuff.

edit on 13-7-2017 by Illumimasontruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

It most certainly does

Cool, Einstein finally proven wrong with his nonsense about nothing faster than light.

Wrong entangled photons don't move any faster.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Quantum entanglement of photons is one thing. Being able to recreate an object from information is another

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It most certainly does

Unfortunately, quantum teleportation (which one should note is not teleportation of a subatomic particle but rather the instant transfer of state from one particle to another) is not thought at present to be capable of allowing for the faster than light transfer of classical information.

Unfortunately, spooky action at a distance does not appear to enable spooky communication at a distance: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 13-7-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Geeez, why won't these people overdose on drugs, have an outer body experience and learn how to sway the average durable headed dupable nimrod. Well that's because they would rather pander to children that believe 3d printing over the Internet is teleportation.

No teleportation in quantum entanglement. Just recreating the wave detection property of one photon in another, different photon far away.

edit on 14-7-2017 by BigBangWasAnEcho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I remember reading somewhere that if you encoded a human into information suitable for "beaming" or "transporting" a la Star trek, and you put that info onto 2.5 in floppy disks, the resulting stack would make it all the way to alpha centauri.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

They should do the same to Hillary Clinton....just sayin

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join