It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Just Teleported a Photon from Earth to Orbit for the First Time

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Keeping in mind you would need an entangled particle, more like entangled particles for communication purposes, at the destination point for any kind of instantaneous effect to occur(entanglement to be perceived back on our end).

How do you get said participles to a location light years distant?

You don't in any meaningful time period without circumventing relativity and the FTL barrier.

You require some kind of Einstein Rosen Bridge/wormhole to send said entangled particles through for the idea to hold any merit im afraid.

I don't think you quite grasp the problems associated or distances at play. But then again you seem to believe that thought has a speed.

What is that speed again? Exactly how fast do our thoughts propagate through space-time?

Possibly worth sticking to actual physics instead of metaphysics considering the forum.

I am not clear as to how one would maintain the integrity of the transmitted photons, for any period of time, at the receiving end...or how you could "tag" them individually in some way so that changes in their states (due to the change in state of their entangled partner at the sending end), could be interpreted, or organized into messages (as, say, ones and zeroes).

But if you could figure that out, then you would be able to communicate information digitally over large distances in zero time...which would at least "appear to be" an action/reaction at infinite speed. While it would be time consuming, using regular transportation methods (even if we are beaming the photons at light speed to their destination...it will take us considerably longer to get the mechanisms needed to act as communication devices to their destinations), once we had such a link set up ...say on Mars or Pluto...it would be quite astounding to be able to have instant communication with Earth.

I wonder if, in order not to have a crazy result like "infinite speed" or to break other conventions like the speed of light limit, we have to consider the possibility that entangled photons...even when apparently transported through space and time (from our vantage) are still actually right next to each other in space/time.

Sounds weird maybe, but so does "spooky" action at any/all distance.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

How the photons interact across such distance is indeed an interesting conundrum the answer i imagine lays somewhere in the quantum realm/foam.

Maintaining the integrity of the transmitted/reflected photons over any significant time period or distance would indeed seem to present an as of yet insurmountable technological issue.

However if entanglement does what it says on the tin, and we could somehow achieve such a feat, for all intents and purposes we would have an Ansible form of communication reminiscent of the device in "Enders Game".
edit on 15-7-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

So how fast is the speed of thought?

wait, let me think about that..

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

I wonder if, in order not to have a crazy result like "infinite speed" or to break other conventions like the speed of light limit, we have to consider the possibility that entangled photons...even when apparently transported through space and time (from our vantage) are still actually right next to each other in space/time.

Sounds weird maybe, but so does "spooky" action at any/all distance.

I think it's quite simple (waits to be corrected) if you change how you do the calculation:

Distance travelled from observer divided by time experienced by object.

rather than

Distance travelled from observer divided by time experienced by observer.

= FTL possible.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: 5StarOracle
a reply to: XStraw

It most certainly does

Riddle me that? It's using photons as the transport, that's not faster than light...

You need to read up on quantum entanglement; it's the only thing that is definitively FTL. If two particles are entangled it doesn't matter how far they are from each other in the entire universe, if you make a change in one particle, the other particle reflects that change instantaneously, again, no matter the distance.

This means one particle can be on Saturn and the other on earth, and I can send an instantaneous communication by signaling changes in the earth based particle which will be reflected instantaneously on Saturn. I.E. You can send coded messages easily this way, which is why we've been researching this for communications purposes for decades now.

P.S.

It's a coincidence that they used photons for the experiment, they don't have to be photons, just any two particles that are entangled.

That said; nothing is teleporting and there is no teleportation with quantum entanglement, so I'm not exactly sure that has anything to do with this thread.
edit on 15-7-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime

You

Can't

Send

Information

Using

Quantum

Entanglement

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
You cannot send information using quantum entanglement. It doesn't work that way. The "entangled part" is random. As soon as you attach anything non-random to the system it's wave function collapses.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 00018GE

You dont have to attach anything to send a message...
Instead of 1s and 0s... Think positive and negative...
Binary Code...
Its that easy...
Dont worry though its not happening yet...

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

That wont work either. An entangled particle(s) is random, it by its nature CAN NOT have ANY information attached to it.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
So-called quantum entangled particles are not known (as in fact) to communicate over distances we cannot quantify. its never been done, it is just a theory, and clearly, regardless of how they are interpreting the results of certain local experiments, it is not provable.

Five hundred kilometres are not equal to the distance of one hundred and eighty-six thousand miles, for which a photon travels in one second. If two photons are created at the same time, and they are entangled, with one of the photons sent to a distance and travel time of say...2 seconds, and if we alter the state of the photon we keep, it is said that the photon we sent will instantaneously alter its state to keep in sync with the state of the one we kept.

Currently we cannot do this experiment, and until we can, it remains nothing more than a theory. Logic alone states that there has to be a 'latency' effect, even between mass-less objects. The transmission of information about one photon to that of another cannot be entirely instantaneous until the action upon one photon is complete. Also, let us not forget that the actual 'action' upon a photon requires a transfer of energy from some source upon it in order to alter its state, is it also being stated that the energy we apply upon the one photon to alter its state is equally transmitted to the other photon to alter its state, too?

It is the interpretation of what is occurring that is wrong. By the way, one photon does not make a beam of light. Although sensors in our retinas can respond to a single photon, it takes between five to nine photons hitting the sensors within a time scale of 100 milliseconds to actually trigger a signal response to be fired towards the brain. The photons must transfer some of their energy in an amplification manner in order to build up enough of an energy value to cause a signal response.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

yes they have done the experiment. www.sciencenews.org...
www.quantamagazine.org...

edit on 16-7-2017 by 00018GE because: because its sunday

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
00018GE:

yes they have done the experiment.

...much that is written about the subject is just confused.

www.sciencenews.org...

They have carried out an experiment here on earth, which is different from carrying out an experiment that involves time and distance of 1 second or more. Also, photons only transfer some information (through changes in wavelength) about reality.

I remain dubious to the claims and interpretations.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: 00018GE
a reply to: elysiumfire

yes they have done the experiment. www.sciencenews.org...
www.quantamagazine.org...

Thanks for that link. I saw this before as well but could not come up with that quantum magazine article.

I really like how Andrew Friedman described quantum "freedom" :

The universe might be like a restaurant with 10 menu items, Friedman said. “You think you can order any of the 10, but then they tell you, ‘We’re out of chicken,’ and it turns out only five of the things are really on the menu. You still have the freedom to choose from the remaining five, but you were overcounting your degrees of freedom.”

It could be that you are never guaranteed a success even if you could insert a controlled state.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: XStraw

Does anyone have an idea how energy intensive this whole process would be? At first glance this would take a whole lot of energy, no?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join