It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Just Teleported a Photon from Earth to Orbit for the First Time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: XStraw

Can you go into a little more detail over what this means for us here on earth?

Thankers.

Hopefully someday it will mean more secure transmissions of data, kind of a better way to encrypt them.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: 5StarOracle

It most certainly does

Riddle me that? It's using photons as the transport, that's not faster than light...

Moving the photons isn't faster than light.

The change in their quantum state, however. That is instant, no matter the distance.

So if you had a bunch of entangled photons on your starship at, say Proxima Centauri, and their matching pairs at space command on Earth... You could send a message instantly by messing with the states of your entangled photons in one location or the other....Then they would instantly change in the other.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I got a photon up my nostril.
Making me sneeze.

I knew it. Every time scientists develop a new technology, someone tries to weaponize it. They hit you.
edit on 14-7-2017 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Blows my mind all this.
I hope in about 10 more of my lives we are somehow using this to travel the universe.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: XStraw

It most certainly does

Cool, Einstein finally proven wrong with his nonsense about nothing faster than light.

You are both wrong. No information was transmitted FTL.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

So if you had a bunch of entangled photons on your starship at, say Proxima Centauri, and their matching pairs at space command on Earth... You could send a message instantly by messing with the states of your entangled photons in one location or the other....Then they would instantly change in the other.

When you initially entangle the Photons it destroys the quantum coherence returning the system to a classical state.
Any state changes in Photons (for useful information transfer) would therefore need to be compared locally (i.e brought back together, physically)- which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
edit on 14-7-2017 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone

originally posted by: SprocketUK

When you initially entangle the Photons it destroys the quantum coherence returning the system to a classical state.
Any state changes in Photons (for useful information transfer) would therefore need to be compared locally (i.e brought back together, physically)- which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

Yeah, good old Heisenberg.

There seems to be a way of sidestepping his uncertainty principle though.

phys.org...

So it is conceivable that we could send information ftl

ETA isn't there a difference between them being particles and waves which is where the coherence bit comes in? Isn't that related to waveform? I must admit that the maths flew over my head like a blackbird at Mach3 when I looked at it.

edit on 06pFri, 14 Jul 2017 04:14:06 -050020172017-07-14T04:14:06-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: moar!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Blows my mind all this.
I hope in about 10 more of my lives we are somehow using this to travel the universe.

I bet if it ever happens, it won't take long for speed limits and space driving laws that make life miserable.

And huge taxes on space fuel...

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The Ultimate Weapon!!!
you telephoto a Laser beam.
and destroy Any thing from the inside!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

It does not really "sidestep" the uncertainty principle.

Entanglement does not allow FTL coms. It is an unfortunately widespread misconception. As mentioned before you have to compare the measurements of the entangled systems to see that there is entanglement. You wouldn't know if you only have access to one half.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

It most certainly does atleast at the extremes of its potentialities...
no information is communicated so as of now it doesn't.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
somehow old already, but many people seem to be unaware of it:

astroengineer.wordpress.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Warning: Not a Quantum Physicist

Is entanglement really the same thing as teleportation? The former requires two particles at different locations acting in concert with each other for reasons yet unknown. The latter is the movement (instantaneous) of one particle from one location to another.

I thought Einstein indeed predicted or at least agreed with this? He called it spooky?

The action of the two particles is instantaneous regardless of distance between? This could be faster than light for reasons yet unknown?

...but what do I know?

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

It's not faster than light because there is no time or speed.

Spooky action at a distance.
edit on 14-7-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Again, I am not an expert.

Understood the concept of time could be largely a human construct, not quantum.

Given that the particles could be vast distances apart and the action simultaneous, could that not occur FTL as we perceive it?

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

So how fast is the speed of thought?

I do agree that fantastic abilities and new technologies can and will materialise from this type of science however none of them will circumvent the speed of light or allow us to remotely view planets 100 or 1000s of light years distant.

You do realise that photons consist the basic packets of light hence are bound by the same limitations.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

When an action is performed instantaneously reguardless of distance it trumps light speed therefore it is faster than light speed...

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Also I am not speaking on this particular experiment nor of photons in particular...
I believe I stated quite clearly that this is pathway to unlocking the secrets of which I have mentioned...
If you cant grasp what Im saying thats ok... Just dont say Im saying something im not...
Of course this could and will lead to teleportation of information first... And even lead to transfer of information which breaks the laws of current physics by being able to teleport said information back and forth through time...
But I dont expect you to understand that or believe it either...
But if you are lucky you will see it happen in your life time...
edit on 14-7-2017 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Thanks - I think I'm starting to get it.

I know - spoon feeding and all - but there ya go.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Keeping in mind you would need an entangled particle, more like entangled particles for communication purposes, at the destination point for any kind of instantaneous effect to occur(entanglement to be perceived back on our end).

How do you get said participles to a location light years distant?

You don't in any meaningful time period without circumventing relativity and the FTL barrier.

You require some kind of Einstein Rosen Bridge/wormhole to send said entangled particles through for the idea to hold any merit im afraid.

I don't think you quite grasp the problems associated or distances at play. But then again you seem to believe that thought has a speed.

What is that speed again? Exactly how fast do our thoughts propagate through space-time?

Possibly worth sticking to actual physics instead of metaphysics considering the forum.
edit on 15-7-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join