It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Aspartame still on the market?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wow, zabilgy, you certainly take comments personally!

"Pardon me your highness..."

Please. Either "your Excellency" or "Honorable Sensei Street" will be sufficient. My good looks, musical talent, sex appeal, and intelligence are equalled if not surpassed by my modesty and humility, an assertion to which almost everyone here can attest.

"... if my link didn't satisfy your colleague's wishes. Check out this whole thread."

I did. As I said, I'm not denying that Aspartame could be dangerous -- maybe it is (although I haven't seen any hard evidence, just anecdotal stuff).

And I'm not saying that there aren't any real scientific studies out there (although I haven't seen any and you haven't showm me any -- not yet, anyway).

"There has been tons of data posted regarding the fact that Aspartame is a known poison."

I guess it depends on how you -- or the authors of your "research" -- define "poison".

What I'm trying to find here -- as I thought I had stated in my previous post -- are some scientific studies.

You know, the ones where they publish the methodology, including control groups, good statistical analyses in the reduction of the data, names and data about the authors, and a reasonably good journal where it was published.

"If you don't like what I posted or what others have posted, then look up your own information. There's plenty out there."

Does that mean you can't find any data that fulfills the requirements of a sound scientific study? If not, shouldn't you, well, say so?

"Why don't you post some "SCIENTIFIC STUDIES" that prove Aspartame to not to be the poison it is."

Because that's not the way that science works, Zabilgy. If I want to convince the world that I am really the Long-Lost King of France, I'm kind of expected to give some good evidence that I am. No one will buy my assertion if I were to say, "I'm really the Long-Lost King of France, and if you can't prove I'm not, then I really am. nyaah nyaah nyaah!"

No. That won't convince anyone, will it? It is up to the people making the assertion to come up with sound evidence that their assertion is true, valid, or both. Maybe yours is, but you haven't shown me any acceptable evidence.

"By the way your snooty attitude is funny!"

So are my one-liners and some of my monologues. However, personal attacks will hardly advance your cause or your credibility on this issue.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I ask myself that same question every time I light up a smoke. Just like the big tobacco companies, they slick the hands of our congressmen and senators every chance they get.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Gazrok, I'm not saying that aspartame will kill you.
I'm saying that people who use artificially-sweetened food can defeat the purpose. It can cause weight gain. And, perhaps, insulin spikes.

Since switching to diet soda vs. regular, I've only lost weight...

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Street.....whatever. Take what you want and leave the rest. I'm not going to be your puppy and bow down to you and jump when you say jump. You want your "scientific evidence" then you go get it. Does this mean I am incapable of getting it? No. It means I don't care to take the time especially when asked by an arrogant #$%& like you.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
"Does this mean I am incapable of getting it?"

Yes.

"... I don't care to take the time especially when asked by an arrogant #$%& like you."

I guess this means the engagement is off. Do I get the ring back?

[edit on 11-2-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Heh, people want some scientific studies, I'll give you some studies!

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

In the past two decades brain tumor rates have risen in several industrialized countries, including the United States. During this time, brain tumor data have been gathered by the National Cancer Institute from catchment areas representing 10% of the United States population. In the present study, we analyzed these data from 1975 to 1992 and found that the brain tumor increases in the United States occurred in two distinct phases, an early modest increase that may primarily reflect improved diagnostic technology, and a more recent sustained increase in the incidence and shift toward greater malignancy that must be explained by some other factor(s). Compared to other environmental factors putatively linked to brain tumors, the artificial sweetener aspartame is a promising candidate to explain the recent increase in incidence and degree of malignancy of brain tumors. Evidence potentially implicating aspartame includes an early animal study revealing an exceedingly high incidence of brain tumors in aspartame-fed rats compared to no brain tumors in concurrent controls, the recent finding that the aspartame molecule has mutagenic potential, and the close temporal association (aspartame was introduced into US food and beverage markets several years prior to the sharp increase in brain tumor incidence and malignancy). We conclude that there is need for reassessing the carcinogenic potential of aspartame.

Link

Got these links from Google Scholar.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by sardion2000]

[edit on 11-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sardion, that is a good post and good data. I conclude, based on the evidence, that we should, indeed, look further at aspartame to determine if it does post a danger to us, and if it does, is that danger enough to place some sort of controls on it?

I only hope that more research is done, this time with human subjects using large statistical samples and (hopefully) minimizing variables.

Now, Zabilgy, see how easy that was? All you have to do is come up with some evidence that even suggests a correlation, and real scientists -- and anyone else in finding out the truth -- will be willing to take another look at it.

Of course, your first post is still completely bogus. You have no proof that aspartame is as dangerous as you'd like us to believe it is, and, even if there is a correlation, does the danger from the health effects of Aspartame justify the government telling us we can't have it?

Maybe you're a fan of Big Government and all the crap like the Patriot Act that goes with it; I don't know. You sound like you approve of having a Big Powerful Government tell us what we can and can't put into our bodies.

I don't happen to believe that, myself.

But in the final analysis, we still can't be sure of how dangerous aspartame is, and even the folks that Mr. Sardion cited are not saying yea or nay; they just want more research.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy
CaveScout...what are you doing to help those starving and dying children?

A: That is not of your concern.

B: I have done much more than most people would with means as limited as mine.

C: It was a stupid question, one which you are in no position to verify the answer to.

D: Don't call me CaveScout, ZabilBoy.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Of course, your first post is still completely bogus.

Street....you are completely bogus! You're a blow hard who thinks he knows everything. You're obviously a control freak and I pity anyone that has to come in direct contact with you in this life.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
"Street....you are completely bogus! You're a blow hard who thinks he knows everything. You're obviously a control freak and I pity anyone that has to come in direct contact with you in this life."

Zabilgy, is this your idea of debate and discussion? Is this the way you defend your theses when someone question them or the (lack of) research underlying them?

Listen to yourself, Zabilgy! All that your personal attacks are accomplishing here with most people is to lessen your credibility still further. You've already said in a previous post that you would refuse to post any scientific proof and that we must all find it for outselves; now you're sinking to invective.

You're certainly not going to win any serious converts to your cause by raising your cardiac enzymes and blood pressure, having a hissy-fit with people who disagree with you ...

...and still fail to provide any serious evidence for your beliefs.

I suggest you read Mr. Sardion's posts carefully; he is courteous, provides sound evidence, and doesn't lose his temper.

[edit on 12-2-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Street.....and I if I lose points for this, I could care less...they can take all of my points away. Go F#@K YOURSELF!

[edit on 12-2-2005 by Zabilgy]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm afraid it's the IGG&Y Rail-road for you, Zabilgy. You simply aren't capable of carrying on a courteous and coherent conversation.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'd like to apologize to everyone on here for my behavior, but I had just had enough of that particular person. He has ignored me as if it is some sort of punishment. I thank God he has ignored me so I no longer need to be harassed by him and his holier than thou attitude.

In the future I promise to follow the rules and behave in an appropriate manner. I apologize for allowing that person to get me off the topic. A topic which I believe to be very important.

Aspartame = Poison!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Yeah nothing to worry about guys, the holes it causes in the brain tissue of mammals are only microscopic ones...

Did you guys even read the links I provided, i wouldn't een handle that crap much less drink consume it.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
oh it was such a big new thing.oh yes for those who cant have sugar.you know some countries dont use sugar at all.aspartame was widely known to give tumors in lab rats.now with the new laws you think that this nero toxin would be band.it makes ya wonder why they shove this stuff in our food.i say pull it off the shelves.i get really mad when i ingest some of it by mistake.i can tell by the yucky taste.remeber if you can lol dont believe everthing that they say is ok.......

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Once again, profits are the most important thing. Honest people would cancel the progression of known potentially harmful substance from entering the market.

Troy

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Honest people would cancel the progression of known potentially harmful substance from entering the market.

Why? Look at what you just said. You said "known." If it is "known," then why do you drink it? You probably don’t, so there is your answer; if you think it is bad, no one is forcing you to drink it! Don’t buy it, but don’t worry about those that choose to ignore the possibility that it is harmful in small doses. Stay out of my kitchen, and I in turn will stay out of yours.

BTW, you said "potentially." You would advocate hurting people over something that is "potentially harmful," and that is wrong. If you shut down the makers of aspartame, people will loose jobs; there is no potentially about it. Without controlled studies, you cannot say for sure that it is harmful. Every cancer patient breaths air and drinks water, but that is not enough evidence to say that air and water cause cancer; to get to that conclusion, you have to do a controlled study and rule other things out.

Now I will admit that it may be harmful, however if you start banning harmful foods, why not start with fast food? I guarantee more people die because of hamburgers than Diet Cokes. In fact, let’s ban all foods except little pills from Taco Bell; let life imitate art so we can fry up nice rat burgers in a sewer. Not what you want? Well, where do you draw the line? Today its aspartame, in few years its "all restaurants are Taco Bell."

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well I've been drinking 4 to 8 litres of Diet Pepsi a day (if I have no choice diet coke which isn't as good as diet pepsi by the way.)
I'm 32, started drinking diet pop cause my anorexic girl friend kept it in the fridge while I was in University. I started drinking it to stay awake while studying. I am totally addicted to the stuff. Sometimes my head is cloudy but that is from lack of sleep and stress from my job. I'm 6'2", 175 pounds, bench press 300 pounds, full head of hair and healthier than most conspiracy nutz out there. Just make sure you drink equal amounts of water so you don't get dehydrated cause the stuff will turn your stool black.
mmmm diet pepsi!!! I think I'll have a litre or two for beakfast.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
(if I have no choice diet coke which isn't as good as diet pepsi by the way.)

Actually, it is a proven fact that Diet Coke is better than any form Pepsi out there (Diet Pepsi tastes kind of like mold.) I don’t feel like finding the studies, but they are there! Find them yourself!

Anything that tastes like mold is obviously harmful to your taste buds and causes fungus to grow in your stomach, and should therefore be banned worldwide! Also, they once forced a lab rat to take in 1 gallon of diet Pepsi per day, and it died, so it is obviously deadly. Anyone who disagrees with me is retarded!

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Got ya, drink it if you want to. And dude, that's a lot of soda in a day? Aspartame products should at least be labeled. Perhaps I stuck my foot in my mouth, because I do drink alcohol sometimes. But you've got Aspartame here that is marketed to a broad audience as safe, and the cool thing to do. And it may not be safe at all, with no labels or warnings.

My mom is a diet pop addict. Headaches, side pains, part of her reproductive organs removed, and weight gain. So I avoid it as much as I can. I don't take chances with it. I just don't need soda that much anyway.

I prefer to take care of myself. That doesn't mean I don't go party sometimes and wobble around a bar. It just means I'm not an idiot about it. I'm not drinking all the time and tearing up my liver. I could end up on a hospital bed like my dad who nearly killed himself by drinking excessively for years. This experience was not fun for him, he gave up drinking permanately after this. I guess the point of this paragraph is to take care of your body, and not fill it full of crap all the time, because it can come back to haunt you.

Troy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join