It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever Burning Lights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

The Ever Burning Light.

A few days ago I stumbled on this subject matter..the ever burning lights. But it wasn't until last night as I sat through a severe thunderstorm that I finally read up on it a bit. As far as I know/have read, these lights haven't been figured out. They still hold some mystery even in our modern day high tech world. So, I decided to post what I've found so far, thinking that maybe someone has an explanation for them.

The problem I have currently is that all the explanations out there may explain a few in some areas/settings they were found in..but none of the explanations fit every account of them. Maybe it is simply that they used different things in different areas, maybe it is because they didn't exist at all...but I still find them fascinating. There is not much left in this world that we have yet to provide a definitive answer for. I thought maybe some of you would find the mystery of the ever burning lights of interest as well..

So, what are they? Some of you may have already heard of it, but for those who haven't:

According to the ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans tradition, a dead person might need some light on his or hers road to the Valley of the Shadow. Therefore, before the tomb was sealed it was accustom to place an ever-burning lamp inside. The lamp served as an offering to the god of the dead and it kept evil spirits away. Its light also offered the deceased the required guidance on the journey to the Underworld.
Hundreds of years later, when vaults were opened excavators found the lamps in perfect condition and still burning.

There are written records of them from way back in the days of the oracles, all the way up through the middle ages. From the times of Rome and Greeks to the times of St. Augustine. Written accounts/documentation can be found all over the world about these lights/lamps. A couple of passages in the bible and other religious texts speak to them as well.

As I worked my way through the numerous websites, I was only able to find the same quotes in each one though. So, as of yet, I haven't found these "numerous written accounts from all over the world" that people speak of. But the ones I have found were interesting non the less.

One of the bigger mysteries about the lights is what they were made of...what kept the flames burning? Some clues can be found in the texts themselves. From olive oil to mysterious clear liquid, they talk of not being able to put out the lights until all the liquid was drained. Some of the more interesting written documentation to what the lamps/lights were:

Written Accounts

Plutarch, de Defectu oraculorum

his man having not long before beene at the temple and Oracle of Jupiter Ammon, made semblance as if he woondered not much at any thing that he saw there; only he reported unto us a strange thing, worth the observation, and better to be considered of, which he learned of the Priests there, as touching the burning lampe that never goeth out: for by their saying, every yeere it spendeth lesse oile than other. Whereby they gather certeinly (quoth he) the inequality of the yeeres, whereby the latter is evermore shorter than the former: for great probability there is, that seeing lesse oile is consumed, the time also is in proportion so much lesse.

I would like to note that further down in this writing Plutarch mentions the fluctuation in brightness/burning due to weather conditions as well as using olive oil and the purity of it in relation to the flame:

And how is it that other men who adore the inextinguible fires, who keepe and preserve the same religiously for the space of an infinit number of yeeres, one after another, could not as well perceive and observe so much? And say that a man should admit this report of yours to be true, as touching the measures of the oile: were it not much better to ascribe the cause thereof unto some coldnesse or moisture of the aire; or rather contrariwise to some drinesse and heat, by reason whereof, the fire in the lampe being enfeebled is not able to spend so much nutriment, and therefore hath no need thereof? For I have heard it many times affirmed by some: That in Winter the fire burneth much better, as being more stronger & more fortified, by reason that the heat thereof is drawen in, more united and driven closer by the exterior colde: whereas great heats and droughts doe weaken the strength thereof, so as it becommeth faint, loose, and rawe without any great vehemencie and vigour; nay, if a man kindle it against the Sunne-shine, the operation of it is lesse, hardly catcheth it hold of the wood or fewell, and more slowly consumeth it the same. But most of all, a man may lay the cause upon the oile it selfe; for it goeth not against reason to say, that in old time the oile was of lesse nutriment, and stood more upon the waterish substance than now it doth, as pressed out of olives which grew upon yoong trees: but afterwards being better concocted, and riper in the fruit, comming of plants more perfect and fully growen in the same quantity, was more effectuall, and able longer to nourish and mainteine the fire.

I'm not sourcing each quote, as if you visit any of the sites I do source, you can find these same accounts in each of them. As I said, there is talk of numerous references to the lights, but I have yet to read more than these few...

Some of the lamps were enclosed in circular vessels for protection; and instances have been recorded in which the original oil was found in them, in a perfect state of preservation, after more than 2,000 years.

In a tomb on the Appian Way which was opened during the papacy of Paul III was found a burning lamp which had remained alight in a hermetically sealed vault for nearly 1,600 years. According to an account written by a contemporary, a body--that of a young and beautiful girl with long golden hair--was found floating in an unknown transparent liquid and as well preserved as though death had occurred but a few hours before.

In 140, near Rome a lamp was found burning in the tomb of Pallas, son of king Evander. The lamp, which had been alight for over 2,000 years, could not be extinguished by ordinary methods. It turned out that neither water nor blowing on the flame stopped it from burning. The only way to extinguish the remarkable flame was to drain off the strange liquid contained in the lamp bowl.

In India, the ancient Hindu temple of Jwala Ji, located in the lower Himalayan town of Jawalamukhi in Himachal Pradesh, has a constantly burning blue flame that comes from the rocks in various places within the temple, and is said to have been constantly burning since the beginning of its known history.

But, not all of the lamps were found within tombs, (although the majority of them were) a few were found to be burned at gates of cities and within shrines.

An ever-burning lamp was found at Edessa, or Antioch, during the reign of the Emperor Justinian. It was in a niche over the city gate, elaborately enclosed to protect it from the elements. The date upon it proved that the lamp had been burning for more than 500 years. It was destroyed by soldiers.

Continued....
edit on 29-5-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Explanations:

Mercury Gas:

How would such a mercury-vapor lamp work? A gas discharge lamp is a light source that generates light by creating an electrical discharge through ionized gas. In other words, ionized gas from the heated mercury builds up in the sealed tomb, creating a self-sustaining electrical charge that fuels the light. Mercury has thermal conductivity, gives off heat, and can act much like a fusion reactor under certain conditions.

Natural Gas/oil:

Gas and oil seeps have been part of religious and cultural practices for thousands of years. Seeps from which gas and oil escape were formative to many ancient cultures and societies. They gave rise to legends surrounding the Delphi Oracle, Chimaera fires and “eternal flames” that were central to ancient religious practices - from Indonesia and Iran to Italy and Azerbaijan. ...

Jwala Ji is Hindu temple located in the lower Himalayan town of Jawalamukhi in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. Dedicated to Hindu goddess Jwala, temple is probably the most ancient temple in India. It is mentioned in the Mahabharata and other scriptures. Unlike any other temple, Jwala Ji temple doesn’t have a statue or an image, but a constantly burning blue flame that seems to come from the rocks. The flame can be seen at various places in the temple and it is burning continuously since first date of its known history. Despite many scientific researches, the reason behind these natural flames couldn’t be found out. The scientists say there is a sleeping volcano under Jwala Ji temple and the natural gas coming out of that volcano is burning as flames, which Hindus revere as Goddess ...

The “eternal flame” at the Zoroastrian Ateshgah “Fire Temple” near Baku, Azerbaijan. The temple was built over natural burning seeps that are today extinct. The flame in the photo is now artificially fed via a gas pipe. Active natural flames are instead found at Yanardag, located approximately 9 km NE ...

Another place these lamps have been used that would add validity to the methane/oil/gas theory is in mining caves. The lamps help to alleviate the gasses inside the caves. Noted in more detail here

None of the accounts I read stated that they were filled with mercury and quite honestly, with the young girl floating in the unknown transparent liquid I don't think mercury is the answer. (I will note however that one archaeologist opened a sealed vault and found some shiny, liquid metal like substance on the ground...said to be from a leaking ever lasting light)

Alchelmy:

Alchemy also plays a role when looking into the explanation for the ever burning light. The texts ascribed to Johannes Trithemius (1462-1516), Abbot of Sponheim, an expert in cryptography and the occult arts tell two methods for how to make an ever burning light:

Hearuppon followeth the process & practica.

Take 4 unces of sulphur, & so much of calcyned alume, bruise them together, put it into an earthen sublimatorie, place it into a coale fier, well lited, let the sulphur ascend through the Alume, and in 8 houres is it prepared.

Thearof take at the lesse 2 1/2 unces, and one unce of good christallick venetian porras, bruse them two small togeather, put it into a flat glasse that it may lye flatly, poure uppon it a stronge sharpe 4 times distilled spirit of wine uppon it, & extracte it in ashes sofftly to the oyle, poure it uppon again, extracte it to the oyle, poure it uppon again & drawe it of agayne; take a litle of the sulphure, laye it uppon a red hott copper plate, and when it floweth like wax without smoking then is it prepared, if not then must thou extract theareof more of the spirit of wine, till it sustineth the proove & it is prepared.

Nowe take alumephume, make therof a top not as long as a little finger, and halfe as thicke, foulde it about with whyte silke, put it thus whole into a venetian little glasse, & joyne thearunto of the prepared sulphure, place it a day & night in hott sande, that the top be continually in the sulphur. Nowe take the top thearout, and put it into such a glasse, that the top looke out a little, adde thearunto of the prepared incombustible chyburals, place the glasse into hott sand till the sulphure melteth, and cleaveth beneath and upward about the top, that it be seene but a little above, kindle the top with a common light, & it beginneth to burne presently, and the sulphure remaineth flowing, take the light and place it where you wilt, and it burneth continually for ever. Second one found here

One thing that is unusual about the whole mystery is...there is not one lamp that has been found even though there are at least a hundred or so accounts of them from all over the world. Perhaps that is the biggest mystery of all...why do we not have any tangible proof of their existence?

As usual, thanks for reading and enjoy your Memorial Day. May the light forever be burning for you and yours...
blend57

edit on 29-5-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

edit on 5.30.2017 by Kandinsky because: Fixed typo (methane to mercury)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

we know exactly what they are

Two unquenchable eternall lights are founde and to be seen hearin, which I Bartholomeus Korndorffer have written of a disciple of Mr Trittemius Abbot of Sponheim, which did affirme with an oath that they were never published nor opened before, only that his Mr the Abbot had bestowed one of them unto a great potentat. this famous Maus Trittemius, which lived in time of the great Imperiour Maximilian the first, and none like unto him was to be founde in his age, hath done much good with his artes, not mingled with divilish worcke, as some malicious men doe accuse his, butt he did knowe all what was done in the world of what he desireth by the starres of ministerie, he hath also tolde of things to come manie times. Once as was travaling, came to S. Moritz, and found an acquaintance to whome I spoke, he was glad to see mee, he invited mee to dinner, and another named servatius Hohel, which had been with the Abbot at Sponheim and served him 12 years. He wwas vere civill, yet sometime he spoke a word of this arte. Now as wee came together, and dinner beying past Mr Hohell desireth mee to goe with him to his chammer, which i did discoursing of diverse matter of artes and seying he was an antient man, I desired to leave him allone to his studie butt he would not left mee, and bespoke a meale by his hostess, which wee two did take in his chammer. Mr Hohel did bestowe uppon mee that time, the handwriting of Mr Trittemius whearin thease two incombustible lights were wrytten, and some magick peeces, which I did trye 7 prouve affterwards & founde them to be vere true & right. Mr Hohel tolde mee also that his Mr Trithemius had bestowed one of those lights unto this great potentat the Emperour Maximilian, and placed it in a glass in his chammer, which the sayd potentat had keept vere well, and many had seen the lightning thereof. After that a sickness aryseth that the Emperour did departe from that place, & came not to this place again in 20 years: but as he came theather at the least, Mr Trittemius beying dead long before, he remembered this light & went presently to see it, which was found theare with all tokens unquenchable as Mr Trittemius had lefft it, & the people of that castel tolde the Emperor that they had seene continually a lightning in that place, licke a lampe in a church. Wherefore this Emperour lefft the light years still burning wheare it shall surne still at this daye, which is a great secret in this worlde. the Emperour Maximilian hath given 6000 crownes for those temporall everlasting lights.

From the which Raymond commands an oil to be drawn; from the lead of the philosophers, saith he, let there be an oil drawn of a golden colour

Alchemy also plays a role when looking into the explanation for the ever burning light

it is the explanation
they run on the Oil Raymond mentions above
you got to learn how to make the half finished elixir
to make a ever burning light
The secret of how they work is for Advanced Alchemists only
you wont find anything written that does not use a code

Archibald Cokren was the last to publically make one
he also made a unique tree
All evidence of his work was seized by us
to keep it safe and out of irritating hands
edit on 29-5-2017 by kibric because: boo

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Hundreds of years later, when vaults were opened excavators found the lamps in perfect condition and still burning.

If true, natural gas is one possibility. Although wells of the stuff are usually larger...

Heres one in somewhere-istan

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
What a beautiful and fascinating subject! Thank you for sharing, blend!!

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I've never heard of this before, pretty cool. No idea about the science behind it, but I have always found the burial rituals of ancient times really fascinating. Every culture has their own story and reason for why they do certain things. One of my favorites, if I can recall correctly, was in Egypt where they would bury a small figurine of some type of God/entity to help guide you in the afterlife. They did know more than we did, especially spiritually, so it makes me wonder..

Thanks for sharing blend.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I am sorry, I realized half way through my run this morning I made a mistake in the OP. One of the explanations I gave is titled "Methane Gas" which is not correct. It should have been Mercury. By the time I got back from my run I had exceeded the edit time window...

knowledgehunter0986, zosimov

Ancient burial sites/rituals fascinate me as well. The explanations based off of the artifacts we find and how they are presented. This subject doesn't seem to have any evidence for it other than personal accounts. Although they are from respected/notable people, it begs to wonder what they actually saw in those tombs. While I was reading, I had the idea that they could've very well witnessed fires burning from underground gas deposits. Yet, in other descriptions it talks about lamps and wicks. So, as I said, I haven't been able to find something that is suitable for all the descriptions of the lamps/lights. Thanks for your responses!

intrptr

I did look into some of the natural burning fires as you did. It is a possibility that they harnessed those and that the fumes of the gases mixed with the oils/fires of the lamps allowing them to burn for longer periods (one was thought toburn for over 1600 years) Much like the case of that town..

Centralia is a borough and near-ghost town in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its population has dwindled from more than 1,000 residents in 1980 to only 10 in 2010—a result of the coal mine fire which has been burning beneath the borough since 1962. .... The underground fire is still burning and may continue to do so for 250 years.

Thanks for the video and your thoughts!

kibric

I am sure there are still some secrets that people keep from the ancient days. Alchemy holds a lot of them. Not sure if in the second part of my post those are the recipes you were referring to. Either way..it is good to know that there are still some ancient, secret mysteries left in this world. Although...maybe you alchemists should think about sharing some of them every once in awhile..but then, that would ruin the mystery I guess.

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

blend57

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Could it be an oil or liquid that absorbs moisture (H2O) out of the atmosphere, separates the hydrogen from the oxygen, wicks the hydrogen up and when ignited, burns the hydrogen which then creates H2O and starts the cycle all over again - absorbing the water in the oil/liquid. Would work extremely well in an enclosed environment.

I would surely like to know what the oil/liquid is...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well candles can last for weeks.

Knowing the substance of candles is waxy liquefies under heat, I would imagine the oil of an ever burning lamp must come from some kind of more dense material than wax or "oil".. I feel it may be a combination of both. Perhaps some kind of Alchemised mineral + oil or tree sap or honey.

What I dont understand is how the flame will burn in enclosed spaces without oxygen to feed the flame. Perhaps there are small gaps in these spaces where the oxgygen get in.
edit on 29-5-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Not sure if in the second part of my post those are the recipes you were referring to

Most alchemical text use code

Either way..it is good to know that there are still some ancient, secret mysteries left in this world. Although...maybe you alchemists should think about sharing some of them every once in awhile

we do
Steve Kalec recently showed his Iron pyrite method of making make a medicine

en.wikipedia.org...

On the inaugural day he lit the fire of the stone stove, with a declaration that the fire be ever alive and the needy shall be fed forever

if you go to Tamil Nadu you can find it still burning
I did

There are secrets
The answers to your questions on ever burning lights
will only really be satisfied by talking to in person
an Adept who can make the philosophers stone
and I can tell you from experience
we aren't easy to find..

edit on 29-5-2017 by kibric because: boo

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
kibric

A very interesting person you linked. I liked his beliefs:

Through the notion of Suddha Sanmarga Sangam, the saint endeavored to eliminate the caste system.[4] According to Suddha Sanmarga, the prime aspects of human life should be love connected with charity and divine practice leading to achievement of pure knowledge.
They mirror my own in some ways.

A vegetarian, young scholar, and if I read it correctly, he shared what knowledge he could. All that was done back in the 1800s. There is one thing that I am uncertain of with regards to the ever burning light though. It says:

In 1867 he established a center for feeding the poor people. On the inaugural day he lit the fire of the stone stove, with a declaration that the fire be ever alive and the needy shall be fed forever. Around 1872 he established the Sathya Gnana Sabai, hall of True Wisdom Forum and ensuring it was entirely secular . This place is not a temple; fruits, flowers are not offered, and no blessings were given. It was open to people of all castes except those who ate meat, who were only allowed to worship from the outside. He wrote in detail about the pooja to be performed in Gnāna sabai. Those who are below 12 years or those who are above 72 years alone were expected to enter Gnāna sabai and do poojas. The oil lamp lit by him is kept perpetually burning. He said that our soul is blinded by seven veils.

Does that mean that it is something that needed tending to? The other ones were said to stay lit without attendance to them is why I ask. It is a serious question as I have no background in alchemy and I am unaware of how the ever burning light works. Thanks for the link and information...

0racle

Candles can last for weeks. There is a light bulb that has burned for over a 115 years ( here). It is really quite interesting that some of these lights have been said to burn for over 1500 years...without any maintenance. And as I said, there is no physical evidence to review, only personal accounts. The two stories I read about someone actually having one states that they either crumbled when they were touched or they got dropped and were destroyed. Understanding that we have been very busy digging up the tombs of the pharaohs and such, you would think that someone would have found one recently. That fact is very suspect... but maybe I am just unaware of one being found.

I will see if I can dig up a few more accounts that maybe aren't so spoken about and have some more descriptions of the actual lights.

Thanks for your thoughts!
blend57

edit on 29-5-2017 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

A very interesting person you linked. I liked his beliefs:

vallalar.org...

Does that mean that it is something that needed tending to? The other ones were said to stay lit without attendance to them is why I ask. It is a serious question as I have no background in alchemy and I am unaware of how the ever burning light works. Thanks for the link and information...

The oil lamp is tended to as a tradition
but the fire he lit on the stove
still burns unattended

On the inaugural day he lit the fire of the stone stove, with a declaration that the fire be ever alive and the needy shall be fed forever

edit on 2-6-2017 by kibric because: boo

new topics

top topics

join