It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump's Budget Betrays His Pledge Not To Cut Social Security

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump’s proposed budget for next year would cut Social Security Disability Insurance, despite Trump’s vaunted campaign promise not to make any changes to Social Security.

A summary table indicates the Trump budget would cut disability insurance by $72 billion over 10 years, or about 4 percent of the program’s projected cost. “It’s my absolute intention to leave Social Security the way it is,” Trump said during the presidential campaign, a promise he repeated several times. Nancy Altman, president of Social Security Works, a nonprofit that advocates for expanding Social Security benefits across the board, said in a statement on Sunday that the budget amounts to “a flagrant violation” of Trump’s campaign pledge.

The budget would make significantly larger cuts to Medicaid, which Trump also promised not to cut at various junctures on the campaign trail. Trump already broke that promise, however, by backing Republicans’ Obamacare repeal bill, which would cut over $800 billion from the program over a 10-year period.

More at link.

Found this today and not exactly sure what to make of it.. Can this even happen? What are people to do who genuinely cannot work because of a disability? I understand going after fraudsters and all, but everyone? Maybe I am reading things wrong or it was reported wrong. Ats?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

People on social security are not the strongest rioters so there won't be much problems.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Trump has promised regularly to cut govt waste and fraud. That will more than make up the 4% proposed cut over 10 years. That's it. 4%. The media is acting like the entire program is scrapped.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The numbers don't lie, right?
Hopefully there is a rational explanation for this(reducing fraud, cutting waste, ect.), but I have not seen one yet.

+3 more 
posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

If it makes you feel better, I don't think it will pass. It does call for cuts though.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

A summary table indicates the Trump budget would cut disability insurance by $72 billion over 10 years, or about 4 percent of the program’s projected cost. “It’s my absolute intention to leave Social Security the way it is,” Trump said during the presidential campaign, a promise he repeated several times. Nancy Altman, president of Social Security Works, a nonprofit that advocates for expanding Social Security benefits across the board, said in a statement on Sunday that the budget amounts to “a flagrant violation” of Trump’s campaign pledge.

Intention.

That is almost the direct opposite of a promise. (well, it is not, but when talking about level of commitment to a stance, it sure is)

edit on 24-5-2017 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Do you know how hard it is to get on that program? I have cancer and have been out of work for over a year... about at the end of all my benefits from SS and trying to switch to disability. I have a very hard time believing there is enough fraud to justify those cuts.

+6 more 
posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

These numbers are people. Not everyone is a fraud like our leader. People are sick.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
I have a very hard time believing there is enough fraud to justify those cuts.

Google is your friend

Fra ud And Disability Equal A Multibillion Dollar Black Hole For Taxpayers

Improper payments estimated at $3 billion per annum according to Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget :

Fact Sheet: How much waste, fraud, and abuse is there in Social Security?

Assuming those numbers are anywhere near accurate, reducing some of that $3 billion of waster per year would produce savings that could easily surpass that $800 billion cut over a 10-year period.

But we won't know until we see the results, which wouldn't even be for several years.

edit on 24-5-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It still has to go through Congress and Congressmen need to get elected again. If they pass this bill without scrutinizing it our congress will be all Democrat after the next elections. I do expect some cuts but not as much as many say will happen.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Is this a cut from what is spent now?
Or is it a cut in the amount of projected increase?
We have seen that before, where a 'cut' ends up being a reduction in growth of planned spending increases.

You know, Grandma and Grandpa will be forced to eat dog food stories.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I read through the opinion piece and he refers to a study but not how to access this study or the date it was done by the senate. Further reading suggest the fraud comes from the billing part of the equation, not the people. The boomers are retiring and getting sicker every day.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Those articles rail against qualifying conditions as waste, mainly. That doesn't equal fraud.
edit on 5/24/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This surprises anyone why exactly? The man is incapable of truth.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Do any of you know WHERE those cuts are being made or is this all knee jerk reactions?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
He's not cutting anything he's trying to slow the growth so the future costs don't go up as fast, morons in the news don't understand the difference between cutting money and trying to slow ballooning future costs. The latter we have to do with social programs because if you look at the rate of growth it's unsustainable. They're pulling the same BS with Medicaid, funding isn't going down. They''re just trying to keep it from going up 8-10% every year which is impossible to keep up with.
edit on 24-5-2017 by PepeTalk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Is it administrative cuts, or is it cuts on payouts?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Reduction of growth.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
This surprises anyone why exactly? The man is incapable of truth.

He said he intended, not promise.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Get. A. Lawyer.
One who specializes in disability. I tried going through all of it on my own and got rejected every time. Hired a lawyer to handle it and after going through an Administrative Judge, finally got it.

On Topic :
Cut SS benefits? Yeah, all that money they give us and those Huuuge cost of living raises each year.

edit on 24-5-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join