It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn the House to Kill a Fly - Notre Dame grads don't know the meaning of Sacred

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: The3murph

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: The3murph

There should be consequences for exercising your free speech?

There are ALWAYS consequences for exercising free speech. Walk down the street in Harlem with a "I hate black people" sign...

Not what you meant and you know it. Of course there's always consequences to free speech. You are suggesting that there SHOULD be consequences to free speech.

edit on 5/22/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

[ I just said that there should have been consequences for their actions that were beneath the decorum expected from adults.

anything else besides having their diplomas held from them or is that enough of a consequence?

you are really blowing my mind right now

these people broke no laws and made no disruptions. they quietly walked out of a place they no longer wanted to be and you want to punish them for that.
this is a free country dude....you dont seem to get that...

that is a crazy stance to have on this...
punish them for being free

wow

75 people getting up at once and leaving is by definition a disturbace.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

There are ALWAYS consequences for exercising free speech. Walk down the street in Harlem with a "I hate black people" sign...

yeah cause that is the same as quietly walking away from a place you dont want to be.

you know what the consequence is(and the only one their should be)? that they missed the ceremony.
they knew the consequence of walking away yet they used their freedom of choice to make the decision.

you want to hold their diploma from them

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

[ I just said that there should have been consequences for their actions that were beneath the decorum expected from adults.

anything else besides having their diplomas held from them or is that enough of a consequence?

you are really blowing my mind right now

these people broke no laws and made no disruptions. they quietly walked out of a place they no longer wanted to be and you want to punish them for that.
this is a free country dude....you dont seem to get that...

that is a crazy stance to have on this...
punish them for being free

wow

75 people getting up at once and leaving is by definition a disturbace.

says you mr citadel man
75 out of 76....yeah maybe

75 out of more than 3k
hardly

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
I am not a respecter of persons. I look at actions.

TheRedneck

You know, this is an interesting point.. It seems that condemning people wholesale has become common, rather than judging each individual item as it comes up.

A big part of me assumes that its not a conscious act, but I might be wrong. Maybe some think that doing things that way is superior across the board?

It seems this is a core behavior in acts like this. On some level, these students must think this is an effective path to.. something? I'm not at all convinced it is though.

We see the same thing in so many arenas, from acts like this to AGW. People are expending not insignificant amounts of time and effort on these topics and really aren't getting anywhere. Its turned into habit, I think, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. At all.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

yeah cause that is the same as quietly walking away from a place you dont want to be.

you know what the consequence is(and the only one their should be)? that they missed the ceremony.
they knew the consequence of walking away yet they used their freedom of choice to make the decision.

you want to hold their diploma from them

If they didn't want to be there then why did they show up to begin with? I'm pretty sure that Mr. Pence wasn't a surprise speaker...

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Blazemore2000

What is wrong with you that you can't respect their right to choose to stay or leave?

I have already said they have every right to do as they did. I have every right to think it was inappropriate.

Do you say I must agree with them in order to respect their rights?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

If they didn't want to be there then why did they show up to begin with? I'm pretty sure that Mr. Pence wasn't a surprise speaker...

clearly they wanted to be there up until the point pence took the stand and then they did not want to be there.
its not an all or noting thing...
they decided to go and then they decided to leave.

thats the beauty of living the the states and not north korea

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

What is wrong with you that you can't respect their right to choose to stay or leave?

I have already said they have every right to do as they did. I have every right to think it was inappropriate.

TheRedneck

i know you are not addressing this and it does not matter but still.
for me, you and your issue is totally cool.

thinking it is inappropriate(like you do) is a far cry from wanting them punished(like others)

you know?

punished...come on

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

clearly they wanted to be there up until the point pence took the stand and then they did not want to be there.
its not an all or noting thing...
they decided to go and then they decided to leave.

thats the beauty of living the the states and not north korea

I hardly ever go anywhere I don't want to be.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

TheRedneck

i know you are not addressing this and it does not matter but still.
for me, you and your issue is totally cool.

thinking it is inappropriate(like you do) is a far cry from wanting them punished(like others)

you know?

punished...come on

Life is a series of choices. We must live with the consequences of those choices.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I hardly ever go anywhere I don't want to be.

sometimes places i want to be become places i do not want to be...so i leave

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Life is a series of choices. We must live with the consequences of those choices.

i agree.
the consequence of their choice is they miss the ceremony. they knew and they chose.
my problem is you want them to be punished further than that for doing nothing wrong.

you are not happy with the consequences of their choice. you want more severe consequences

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

i agree.
the consequence of their choice is they miss the ceremony. they knew and they chose.
my problem is you want them to be punished further than that for doing nothing wrong.

you are not happy with the consequences of their choice. you want more severe consequences

Tangible consequences were in order.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Well good for them for invoking their right to peaceful protest! I'm sure they had good reason as Mr Pence is about 2 bowls short of a whole box of fruit loops. He has his name stamped on to some pretty heinous legislation and holds antiquated and archaic views of women. Another dusty old dinosaur long overdue to be put out to pasture.

Guess I am too old to understand this one. Even if all you say is true, the vice president of the united states is speaking at your function which sure sounds like some kind of honor, why not protest what he had to say after or something?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Well good for them for invoking their right to peaceful protest! I'm sure they had good reason as Mr Pence is about 2 bowls short of a whole box of fruit loops. He has his name stamped on to some pretty heinous legislation and holds antiquated and archaic views of women. Another dusty old dinosaur long overdue to be put out to pasture.

Guess I am too old to understand this one. Even if all you say is true, the vice president of the united states is speaking at your function which sure sounds like some kind of honor, why not protest what he had to say after or something?

That would have required these children to actually act like adults.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
They walk out to protest Pence's beliefs, but want a diploma from a catholic school that holds many of the same beliefs.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 00018GE
They walk out to protest Pence's beliefs, but want a diploma from a catholic school that holds many of the same beliefs.

Dizzying isn't it...

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Tangible consequences were in order.

if you say so

we are not getting anywhere

clear where we both stand

catch you later

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link