It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn the House to Kill a Fly - Notre Dame grads don't know the meaning of Sacred

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: 00018GE
They walk out to protest Pence's beliefs, but want a diploma from a catholic school that holds many of the same beliefs.

Holding beliefs is different from passing laws and policies that discriminate against the minority.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Sure they can wait until after but why should they have to sit through and listen to him?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

They walk out to protest Pence's beliefs, but want a diploma from a catholic school that holds many of the same beliefs.

Holding beliefs is different from passing laws and policies that discriminate against the minority.

You mean like they did in New Orleans with the Confederate Memorials?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I now feel so petty with all this since the bomb in Manchester.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Sure they can wait until after but why should they have to sit through and listen to him?

Because that's what adults do.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: The3murph

LOL What a way to deflect. I don't know how I feel about that but I don't think they really removed history because they will still be in museums.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

So it would be immature to walk out if it was Richard Spencer?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Richard Spencer isn't the duly elected Vice President of the United States. No college in the world would have him as a graduation speaker. Nice strawman attempt though...

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The two didn't refuse to speak cuz they were skeered. The point is, there are plenty of conservative speakers eager to speak. I wouldn't worry about them.

Well, since you brought in Berkeley... they weren't just forbidden to speak (although that was tried), they were threatened to the point of taking their lives in their hands if they did. So, are you saying that we should try shaming first, then forbidding, then violence if all else fails?

Peaceful protesting is not disrespectful. It's a constitutional right.

Where does the Constitution say that?

I never said you called me any of those things. Gosh, you sure are sensitive.

Calling someone a low-information voter is not calling them stupid. It is saying they don't have (or don't want) the information needed to make adequate decisions.

Sensitive? No. Accurate.

It's the assumption that is offensive. Your statement insinuates that anyone who doesn't agree with you is not well-informed. I think I was plenty well-informed when I made my decision. By and large, I disagree with Hillary's policies, and by and large I agree with Trump's. I consider Trump somewhat of a wild card, impulsive, but plain-spoken and capable of finding ways to accomplish his goals. I consider a Hillary a murderous, lying, manipulative, hate-filled elitist who thinks she is superior to every other human on the planet. Easy choice with that information.

I want good jobs, a lower debt, immigration under control, less international policing, and less crime at home. The Democrats can have my vote when they show me they can give me those things instead of calling folks names and padding their pockets.

The students were protesting someone whose ideology and actions they feel will hurt others, just like why I was protesting.

So you were protesting the person, then? I honestly am confused as to what or who you were protesting.

What was the goal of your protest?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

LOL What a way to deflect. I don't know how I feel about that but I don't think they really removed history because they will still be in museums.

Don't know where you got that from. Right now they are sitting in a trash dump.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Richard Spencer isn't the duly elected Vice President of the United States. No college in the world would have him as a graduation speaker. Nice strawman attempt though...

So you don't want to answer my question. Instead you incorrectly accused me of using strawman argument.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Don't know where you got that from. Right now they are sitting in a trash dump.

False. If you want to prove me wrong then post in one of those threads and I'll respond.
Now let's get back on topic shall we?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Most likely those students don't even know why they were walking out. The media or their professors told them they should, and like good little drones they obeyed. Or more likely they did it just so they could brag about it on Twitter or Facebook.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
Most likely those students don't even know why they were walking out. The media or their professors told them they should, and like good little drones they obeyed. Or more likely they did it just so they could brag about it on Twitter or Facebook.

Oh yeah those students are as dumb as a bell.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ManufacturedDissent

I am glad to hear they weren't permitted back in. If I were a Dean at Notre Dame, they wouldn't be allowed to apply to Grad school either after such a show of disrespect.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: ManufacturedDissent

I am glad to hear they weren't permitted back in. If I were a Dean at Notre Dame, they wouldn't be allowed to apply to Grad school either after such a show of disrespect.

TheRedneck

And yet the right complain about universities suppressing free speech.
Now I am confused.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The ignorance is strong with this one.

No one gets a diploma when they go through commencement. They get a blank cover. Commencement typically occurs before all the grades are posted, and even once they are, the University needs time to verify credit hours, financial requirements, and so on. Then the order for the diploma is forwarded to the printer, and voila! a couple months later the diploma comes in the mail.

Commencement is a celebration, akin to a bar mitzvah, a wedding, or a funeral. The difference is that it is a celebration for many instead of few, but it is still highly choreographed and executed. Everyone knew well ahead of time who would be speaking... they specifically asked that the speaker not be Trump. That request was granted. If they had a problem with Pence to the point they couldn't ignore him, they should have stayed home.

No, I don't think any protest should be violent.
No, I don't think a protest should interrupt the daily lives of others.
No, I don't think a commencement is the proper venue for a protest.
No, I don't care how much you disagree with me.

There is such a thing as decency.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

It seems extraordinarily unlikely that any Univ. would invite him to speak at all, much less at a commencement ceremony...

C'mon, now...

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Deaf Alien

It seems extraordinarily unlikely that any Univ. would invite him to speak at all, much less at a commencement ceremony...

C'mon, now...

Oh he was talking about the students.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

they were on their own time.

No, they were at a university function. There are standards one must adhere to if one wishes to attend.

Have you ever even been inside a university?

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join