It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn the House to Kill a Fly - Notre Dame grads don't know the meaning of Sacred

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Have you ever even been inside a university?

Are they like prisons?

Are people not allowed to leave?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

When Obama gave a commencement at Notre Dame quite a few students walked out too.

The only thing it says to me, is that people take politics way too seriously.

Then I would say we have a media problem as well. I never heard about that until now.

The same goes for them, though. Either stay home or stay outside and hold your widdle signs. Don't interrupt the ceremony.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

a reply to: TinySickTears

they were on their own time.

No, they were at a university function. There are standards one must adhere to if one wishes to attend.

TheRedneck

they were in fact on their own time. they were not under contract to be there. not paid to be there. not forced to be there.
apparently they 'must' not do anything cause they can and did leave. its just people like you and mr citadel complaining about.

thank you for the lesson in how their diploma is received. did that make you feel good?

ive passed by a university once.

awesome how some of you try to force your idea of decency and/or morals on other people

edit on 22-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Are they like prisons?

Are people not allowed to leave?

theyre not like prisons and people are allowed to leaved but apparently some dont think that should be the case.
stick around. you might get some sort of lesson on how credits are accrued or some other crap that really dont matter.
been a great thread so far.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Well, I have to say I can't understand your position... I figure I worked my butt off and paid a chunk of change, so I want the goodies at the end. I share your feelings about the knowledge, though.

I know several of my classmates who didn't attend, and I didn't understand their feelings either. But I respect their decision as I respect yours. They were respectful enough of me to allow me to enjoy my commencement without creating a disturbance.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I don't even remember who spoke at my graduation commencement. (1980's)

Well that is the thing, these children who walked out on their own commencement will in 20 years be telling their children about how they "showed" vice president Pence and President Trump...They will be talking about how much of a difference they made by walking out of the ceremony. IMHO all they did was show to the people in attendance that these are not in fact adults like most college graduates are but these are in fact spoiled children who didn't get there way.
edit on 22-5-2017 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

And yet the right complain about universities suppressing free speech.
Now I am confused.

Does the term 'decorum' mean anything?

There is no right to attend Grad school. One must apply and be accepted. Part of that acceptance is agreement to adhere to the rules of the University while in attendance. These students ignored the University's rules of decorum and should not be allowed to continue doing so.

They have every right to speak as much as they want. They do not have the right to disrupt school functions. The two are not synonymous. Free speech is also not without consequences, and they need to learn that.

(On a side note, I have to wonder how it is that the very same political ideaology that now screams "free speech" in support of disruptive intentional behavior also has banned books from schools... Huckleberry Finn?... because of words they determined were inappropriate)

The students also deserve their degree. They worked for it and earned it.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Odd that you see this as disruption. 50 students out of thousands? That's like a burp.
But anyway I am just pointing out that it's odd that people on the right complain about universities suppressing students' free speech and here we are with the same people complaining about THIS and being happy about the university refusing to accept them back in.

edit on 5/22/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

. These students ignored the University's rules of decorum and should not be allowed to continue doing so.

just cause you think it does not make it so
3k people there
50 or so left
that is not a disturbance

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

they were in fact on their own time.

No, sir, they were certainly not! They were in attendance at a University event. Attendance is not required, but adherence to policy is required for those who attend.

No one gets to just walk in off the street and sit down. The public is welcome, but may be turned away at the discretion of school officials. They are seated by school officers. Students are not guaranteed the right to attend; they can be denied for any number of reasons.

If you want to go to a football game, you can drink a beer, yell, and leave when you get ready. Commencement is not a football game.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
Most likely those students don't even know why they were walking out. The media or their professors told them they should, and like good little drones they obeyed. Or more likely they did it just so they could brag about it on Twitter or Facebook.

Oh yeah those students are as dumb as a bell.

I voted for Obama my graduating year. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in the political awareness of college kids.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

. These students ignored the University's rules of decorum and should not be allowed to continue doing so.

3k people there
50 or so left

This is how the right sees this:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

No, sir, they were certainly not! They were in attendance at a University event. Attendance is not required, but adherence to policy is required for those who attend.

No one gets to just walk in off the street and sit down. The public is welcome, but may be turned away at the discretion of school officials. They are seated by school officers. Students are not guaranteed the right to attend; they can be denied for any number of reasons.

If you want to go to a football game, you can drink a beer, yell, and leave when you get ready. Commencement is not a football game.

TheRedneck

go ahead and keep spouting off like you wrote the school policy.
obviously you are wrong
they can leave
they did leave

policy states that once you sit down you must not get up and leave until the event is over or else........

yeah i doubt it

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

3k people there
50 or so left

This is how the right sees this:

Nah we've actually been laid before.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

TheRedneck

My friend you just can't talk to these people. It is obvious they were not raised in the "Southern Way" where class and decorum mean something like we were.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: The3murph

TheRedneck

My friend you just can't talk to these people. It is obvious they were not raised in the "Southern Way" where class and decorum mean something like we were.

This is not about manners. This is about their right to free speech. Who are you to impose your morality on those students?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

TheRedneck

go ahead and keep spouting off like you wrote the school policy.
obviously you are wrong
they can leave
they did leave

policy states that once you sit down you must not get up and leave until the event is over or else........

yeah i doubt it

Bless Your Heart TinySickTears...

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: The3murph

TheRedneck

This is not about manners. This is about their right to free speech. Who are you to impose your morality on those students?

It is about manners, class, decorum, and good home training. It's obvious you have none of them.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

It is a disruption.

It is a highly-choreographed event. Students who attend are instructed at every stage what to do, where to go, when to stand or sit, etc. One person getting up to leave disrupts several as they make their way out; 50 probably disrupted a few hundred directly, and diverted the attention of several times as many.

As the names are called, they are called in the order seated. One person out of place causes confusion on the way to the stage... 50 missing? Which 50? That's 50 times the guy or gal next in line is getting ready to walk and hears the wrong name, stops, and has to wait while every else waits to see if that name is even going to show up.

Yeah, it is a disruption. A big one.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Did the speech continue without problem?
Did the people listen without problem?

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join