It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists create fluid with 'negative mass'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
If you spray gasoline on a fire, the fire will travel towards you.

Maybe the substance actually makes laser light "catch-on fire" but instead of fire, it is catching on this substance.

More accurately, I wonder if they weighed the substance after the experiment... If I'm right, it should have gained something.

In other words, maybe in an odd way, I am suggesting that this substance converts laser light into matter or substance; whereas fire is the breaking down of matter into light, among many other things.

Wild, yeah. Just using that good ole-fashioned intuition.

ETA - further speculation: considering the substance is near Absolute zero, and considering its superfluidity, it seems like the conditions are right for the substance to trap light energy which it absorbs and maybe even convert that light energy into matter.

No your kind of describing something called band theory which granted would explain the results. Band theory uses conduction much like your fire and now that i think about it could possibly explain the results. But that would mean they didnt change matter to a negative charge it only seemed that way.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
If we live in a simulation overlay, all you science guys are outdone. Cause then anything can be true or false, dependent upon what is most efficient.....
regards,
tetra
and that's a negative turned into positive matter, for sure.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

In theoretical physics, negative mass is a hypothetical concept of matter whose mass is of opposite sign to the mass of normal matter, e.g. −2 kg. Such matter would violate one or more energy conditions and show some strange properties, stemming from the ambiguity as to whether attraction should refer to force or the oppositely oriented acceleration for negative mass. It is used in certain speculative theories, such as on the construction of wormholes. The closest known real representative of such exotic matter is a region of pseudo-negative pressure density produced by the Casimir effect.

General relativity describes gravity and the laws of motion for both positive and negative energy particles, hence negative mass, but does not include the other fundamental forces. On the other hand, the Standard Model describes elementary particles and the other fundamental forces, but it does not include gravity. A unified theory that explicitly includes gravity along with the other fundamental forces may be needed for a better understanding of the concept of negative mass.

The properties of negative mass were first demonstrated in late 2016 by a team of physicists at the Washington State University led by professor Peter Engels.[1][2]

In fact, negative kinetic energy exists in some models[28] to describe dark energy (phantom energy) whose pressure is negative. In this way, the negative mass of exotic matter is now associated with negative momentum, negative pressure, negative kinetic energy and faster-than-light phenomena.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 18-4-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
This article is extremely misleading, no they didn't make negative mass, they didn't break Newtons second law. They created a system with negative EFFECTIVE mass, which is something complete different. (but still pretty cool). It still has positive gravitational mass, so no warp drives and anti gravity. Newton s second law is based on conservation of momentum, which is still valid I this system. I don't know where they got the idea that it breaks it.

This is still a world first, but crap journalists like this just talking bull are either just lying for views, or know nothing about science and shouldn't report on things they know nothing about.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Maybe the substance actually makes laser light "catch-on fire" but instead of fire, it is catching on this substance.

More accurately, I wonder if they weighed the substance after the experiment... If I'm right, it should have gained something.

In other words, maybe in an odd way, I am suggesting that this substance converts laser light into matter or substance; whereas fire is the breaking down of matter into light, among many other things.

ETA - further speculation: considering the substance is near Absolute zero, and considering its superfluidity, it seems like the conditions are right for the substance to trap light energy which it absorbs and maybe even convert that light energy into matter.

No your kind of describing something called band theory which granted would explain the results. Band theory uses conduction much like your fire and now that i think about it could possibly explain the results. But that would mean they didnt change matter to a negative charge it only seemed that way.

Indeed, I considered that not all movement is necessarily what it seems.

Don't know band theory, I'll check it out. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This is an excellent documentary about the history of liquified supercold gasses, both He and H.

It's prsesnted as a historical study, which is pretty interesting, then ends at superfluids and Boze-Einstein condensates.

PBS, so it's pretty good, a few years old. The history goes far back, to 1600s.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quaria
This article is extremely misleading, no they didn't make negative mass, they didn't break Newtons second law. They created a system with negative EFFECTIVE mass, which is something complete different. (but still pretty cool). It still has positive gravitational mass, so no warp drives and anti gravity. Newton s second law is based on conservation of momentum, which is still valid I this system. I don't know where they got the idea that it breaks it.

This is still a world first, but crap journalists like this just talking bull are either just lying for views, or know nothing about science and shouldn't report on things they know nothing about.

Yeah, I based my vision on the idea that the author(s) didn't understand force in a visual sense.

I'm not really one to talk, but I do wonder why someone would write about something they cannot envision.

At any rate, I tend to move towards pizza at an alarming rate. Any mathematician would be in awe over the amount of force a slice of pizza applied to me!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
This is an excellent documentary about the history of liquified supercold gasses, both He and H.

It's prsesnted as a historical study, which is pretty interesting, then ends at superfluids and Boze-Einstein condensates.

PBS, so it's pretty good, a few years old. The history goes far back, to 1600s.

I can't handle the slow and idling pace of documentaries. My mind will wander. But thanks for the lead for reading!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Indeed, I considered that not all movement is necessarily what it seems.

Don't know band theory, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Have not read the paper but i have a feeling they are being misleading and talking about effective mass.
see you can simulate negative mass by say moving electrons to one side of an atom. You create an area that seems to have negative mass. But it requires the constant use of laser to keep one side of our atom empty creating a void.

There is actually programs that write these articles i suspect one was in use here. Used to be writers would do research talk to others before publishing. Now the computer program helps them write the science involved and throws in big scientific words.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quaria

Yeah, sadly this is all too common nowadays. Science related news that don't care about presenting the information understandably to the public, where one often gets the impression that the reporter does not understand what he is reporting.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
So what I gather from this is they used a "cooling laser" to essentially suck energy out of the particles and cause them to form a Bose-Einstein condensate. However I find it very hard to believe that is equivalent to actually creating particles with negative mass, I highly doubt the laser sucks all the energy from the particles and then sucks some more so they have less than nothing. The laser may slow down the particles substantially but it doesn't stop them moving completely so they must still possess some positive energy.
edit on 18/4/2017 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Newton's law is a set of "laws" based off of observations, mathematics, and physics of man. We are so in the Stone Age in the grand scheme of the universe, multiverse, inter-dimensions and just in existence. We have no grasp on anything that is really going on we only have theories and educated assumptions.
I guarantee you in the far future we're going to look back on einsteins theories, newtons laws, and most of the current laws of physics , and laugh at ourselves on how ignorant we really were.

The universe is FAR stranger then our brains can compute.

edit on 18-4-2017 by Matt11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
So what I gather from this is they used a "cooling laser" to essentially suck energy out of the particles and cause them to form a Bose-Einstein condensate. However I find it very hard to believe that is equivalent to actually creating particles with negative mass, I highly doubt the laser sucks all the energy from the particles and then sucks some more so they have less than nothing. The laser may slow down the particles substantially but it doesn't stop them moving completely so they must still possess some positive energy.

They use lasers to make a bunch of atoms in the condensate behave as if they had "negative mass". That is why the actual paper is talking about the negative effective mass.

No physical laws are violated in the process. The condensate itself still has positive temperature, energy, mass.
edit on 18-4-2017 by moebius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Or they are just messing with the magnetic fields. Oh look our massless (negatively charged) lint is drawn to our positive object. LOL

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to come back to this, because....wow...!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Rubber band or an arrow does the same thing. Pull one way, object goes another...should be some correlation.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Tractor beam on the cheap...

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
They are using laser cooling on the lightest elements of Helium and hydrogen.
This shows the wave nature of matter being manipulated at extremely fine resolution.
In the case of anti stokes cooling they probably boost the wave energy just enough so that it emits more energy than it absorbs.
We could learn a lot from experimenting in those dimensions but its all unobtainum technology.
Could be something bad happens they don't want us to know about if you laser cool a mass of atoms below the energy needed to keep them having the property of mass?

declassified

(Vavilov, 1945 and 1946)

Could have been in time for the enolA gaY
edit on 18-4-2017 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So..."Mass Effect" here we come? Could humanity be taking the first steps in that direction? With the discovery of the Higgs Boson we might be reaching a truly special time in human history. As our knowledge of what gives particles mass and how this occurs increase we could indeed be seeing the evolution of our species in almost real time. If we can figure out how to dictate the amount of mass a particle gets than the sky is the limit in terms of what could be created. If we have learned to make negative mass, then this could mean a leap forward if they could figure out how this occurs and how to harness it for their newest line of ion Engines especially the "Impossible" one (EMDrive) that "breaks the law of physics.
It really does seem that what we are learning and what humanity can achieve is reaching a focal point and converging at this point in time. The faster we achieve things, The faster we are learning thus the faster we can Achieve things. This cascading effect is creating a chain reaction of knowledge that keeps getting faster and stronger with each new discovery. And so long as we can keep the Nukes and Tyrants at bay, this trend is likely to continue.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: sean

Are they trying to prove
a dark matter

By the electric can opener fluctuation?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join