It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists create fluid with 'negative mass'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Not arguing, the law says nothing about mirroring.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

No you input the negative values in it and you get the opposite effect.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

It must be beyond me. And thanks OK.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The "inertial" mass of the fluid is negative but is the gravitational mass negative? This could be tested by seeing if another object with negative mass is repelled from the first object with negative mass through the gravitational field alone.
edit on 17-4-2017 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I could be wrong but that's what I understand about it. Even if it violates Newton's laws it will be improved just like relativity improves upon them. Relativity is more accurate but that doesn't change the laws.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I highly doubt this story's claims. Until they provide a repeatable method for creating it and it's verified by other sources, I say bollocks.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

That is what is cool about modern science (usually). If there is additional info, evolve.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

I can understand that.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This is not unexpected. It's been predicted by theory for some time.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Wow that means we have something with negative momentum. Be great for space flight. In fact im a bit skeptical because this means we could create wormholes and even time travel. Negative mass means negative velocity and well frankly that is a useful tool to have.

Well, guess what, the concept that UFO create a negative mass field around themselves just starts to rattle some heads.
My god, that took a long time of my pestering ATS with that realistic, rationalistic explanation for the unexplainable!

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

originally posted by: dragonridr

Wow that means we have something with negative momentum. Be great for space flight. In fact im a bit skeptical because this means we could create wormholes and even time travel. Negative mass means negative velocity and well frankly that is a useful tool to have.

Well, guess what, the concept that UFO create a negative mass field around themselves just starts to rattle some heads.
My god, that took a long time of my pestering ATS with that realistic, rationalistic explanation for the unexplainable!

You wouldnt create any field thats just stupid. What you would do is use its attraction to positive mass to move your space ship.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Probably dates back to KamerlinghOnnes and superfluid helium climbing the walls of Beakers.
Some kind of tiny dimensional redirection or capillary effect.
Laser cooling should have been invented in about the 1950's?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Looks like Newton's law is not a for real law?

The experiment would seem to indicate just the opposite.

"The law" is f=ma. If m is negative, you get that behavior. So, it's acting just the way it should.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Yeah. a = F/m and if m is negative then a is negative which makes it accelerate in the opposite direction.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
On top of which, you're going to find that sustaining this behavior requires external energy input that will magically balance out the books.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Yeah it requires laser to do it but I am curious about it's behavior if it collides with something.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Not magically as the PDF file at present requires joining nature and otherwise.

You mean balance it out; so we could make a battery?

edit on 17-4-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
it's amazing how we keep pushing the boundaries of science.

oh yeah....

Breaking the law, breaking the law

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I wonder if this could be applied to some sort of Inertia dampening technology, obviously the fantasy type such as in star trek is much further away but this could lend itself to a high tech suspension type technology and perhaps has some application's in the energy sector as well.

Thank you for this very interesting thread.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If you spray gasoline on a fire, the fire will travel towards you.

Maybe the substance actually makes laser light "catch-on fire" but instead of fire, it is catching on this substance.

More accurately, I wonder if they weighed the substance after the experiment... If I'm right, it should have gained something.

In other words, maybe in an odd way, I am suggesting that this substance converts laser light into matter or substance; whereas fire is the breaking down of matter into light, among many other things.

Wild, yeah. Just using that good ole-fashioned intuition.

ETA - further speculation: considering the substance is near Absolute zero, and considering its superfluidity, it seems like the conditions are right for the substance to trap light energy which it absorbs and maybe even convert that light energy into matter.
edit on 4/18/2017 by TarzanBeta because: Ridiculous ideas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join