It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists create fluid with 'negative mass'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Looks like Newton's law is not a for real law? A fluid that has negative mass has been created, it does the opposite of Newton's second law.

April 17 (UPI) -- A team of physicists at Washington State University have created a fluid that ignores Isaac Newton's Second Law of Motion. The fluid has "negative mass." When it's pushed it accelerates backwards.

Almost all matter in the universe obey's Newton's second law -- matter accelerates in the direction of the force applied to it. The new fluid does the opposite.

This fluid behaves like a superfluid, meaning that particles move in unison without giving up energy. During an experiment a "bowl was broke", the fluid was spilled and the scientists (instead of saying OH sh!t) continued with the experiment and put more lasers on the fluid, this resulted in neg. mass. When the fluid was "pushed" it came toward the force. Odd indeed.

www.upi.com...

The liquid consists of rubidium atoms cooled to a temperature barely greater than absolute zero. The cooled atoms formed a Bose-Einstein condensate, a phase of matter characterized by slow-moving particles that behave like waves. The matter behaves like a superfluid, meaning its particles move in unison without sacrificing energy.

Researchers used lasers to cool the liquid in a tiny bowl. When scientists broke the bowl, the rubidium atoms rushed outwards. Scientists applied a second set of lasers to alter the spin of the out-rushing atoms. As a result, the atoms took on negative mass.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wow I wonder what they will be able to do with something like this!

Cool, hopefully we hear more about this.

-Alee

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Love the science posts, I suppose like the great sayings

"The more you tell me not to do it" or "Rules are made to be broken"

I can imagine a time in the future where many of todays current laws may have to be updated

If we manage to just get along instead of showing of ICBMs to each other

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

What does trump have to do with this?

Anyway op great thread. I wish there were visuals.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm still wrapping my head around how I feel about this but thanks, interesting find.

I had never heard of laser cooling before and was thinking this couldn't be real so I'll leave this explanation here for anybody else that may be confused by that one. Very interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Almost all matter in the universe obey's Newton's second law -- matter accelerates in the direction of the force applied to it. The new fluid does the opposite.

A new era of G suits.

Faster fighter aircraft with pilots being able to take more g's.

??

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

What does trump have to do with this?

Apparently because he has 'brain juice'.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Would a substance having negative mass have negative gravity?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The OP is a staunch supporter so I'm ribbing him a bit.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Sounds like the force is strong with this one.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
absolutely fascinating!
will wonders ever cease to amaze...
thanks for the share

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Hey that is an excellent question! Basically would it be repealing everything around it? And how would the space-time curvature look like?

Maybe apply that substance to a board and make it a hoverboard?
That'd be so awesome.

edit on 4/17/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Wow that means we have something with negative momentum. Be great for space flight. In fact im a bit skeptical because this means we could create wormholes and even time travel. Negative mass means negative velocity and well frankly that is a useful tool to have.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Wow that means we have something with negative momentum. Be great for space flight. In fact im a bit skeptical because this means we could create wormholes and even time travel. Negative mass means negative velocity and well frankly that is a useful tool to have.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Wowo a NEGATIVE MASS EFFECT lol!!! OH WAIT..... lol

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'd kind of like to see them make this fluid out of liquid vantablack. It just seems appropriate... and metal af.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Hey that is an excellent question! Basically would it be repealing everything around it? And how would the space-time curvature look like?

Maybe apply that substance to a board and make it a hoverboard?
That'd be so awesome.

No its not anti gravity its still effected by gravity and will slow its momentum. However its possible to use negative momentum to defy gravity. but i doubt a hover board would be possible.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

This isn't a violation of Newton's second law, i don't think. It appears to be more like some sort of quantum capillary action or something.

Cool article...thanks for the share.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

Yes, is that what you want to hear?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join