It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I seriously dislike my generation.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Thank you, Tarzan.

You actually impress me, to be honest.

To be able to go into rants, the mud pit, and such - And still offer constructive advice to a person who may or may not have a thick skull, it's admirable. Thanks.

link   
a reply to: opethPA

I get your point.

Money makes some people happy, some like working with their hands.

Only a few make millions selling furniture or clothes, it's also true of the IT trade.

There isn't a better approach, there's the one's your more comfortable with. Same can be said for self-employment, some can't be bothered with the hassle. For some it's the only way.

A point the op was making is if for instance a x-class flare hit the earth, you're f*****.

link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: deadlyhope

"I don't like 'libtards' or 'SJWs'."

Fixed your OP for you.

Ummm...funny...neither do you...I mean I...I mean...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I don't like anybody, including you.

And I don't create new threads about it.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

The ability to wire a house - or even an outlet.
To plumb a house - or even fix a leak.
Build a wall. Or cabinets. Or table.
The ability to run machinery like tractors.
The ability to farm, grow gardens, raise animals for food...
Hell, just add 90% of manual labor skills onto this list. ( you know, the skills required to actually live )

Its not really their fault, designed into the system. They stopped teaching that stuff in schools a long time ago so you have to call xyz corporation to do it for you.

Then go deeper in debt. Debt slavery is the future. Where the corpratocracy owns everything and everyone.
Thats called slavery, serfdom, peasantry.

Working at menial tasks forever for free to get out of debt, a crust of bread and bowl of gruel for your wage.

Nazis perfected that, heres the end product...

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

Haha.

Materialism vs practicality.

If the power grid fails for a few months, we all have to learn just how worthless our stupid IT abilities really are.

Not all.

In a modern world having an aptitude in the IT world is just as practical as the things you are proud of..

I look st someone thst makes cabinets or works with their hands and I admire their abilty but that ability is no more noble or useful than an IT career.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Kids these days...pfft.

Back in my day, when we wanted to moan about our entire generation, we had to do it standing on a box in the town square with a bullhorn we made out of cardboard...in the cold..while barefoot...and we were proud for that! now you millenials with your forums and your tweetfaces and all that having it soo easy cursing your generation..pfft!!

and cut those sideburns off while you're at it!!!

/curmudgeon

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

This is where we disagree, then.

Technology is not necessary. It's cool, but not needed other than for those on life support.

I more admire a person who can do things without tech. Grow, catch, hunt their own food. Build there own shelter. Find a good source of water.

The modern day equivalent of these? Skilled laborers. They build our shelter, transport our water, and make life more convenient.

Technology... Doesn't do much at all.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Thank you, Tarzan.

You actually impress me, to be honest.

To be able to go into rants, the mud pit, and such - And still offer constructive advice to a person who may or may not have a thick skull, it's admirable. Thanks.

I'm just being my typical self. No need to thank me for being something I don't even like being. :p

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

A point the op was making is if for instance a x-class flare hit the earth, you're f*****.

I can play what if also..

Great the OP feels having those skills is,more practical ..how useful would they be if he cut off his fingers using one of those tools..

So something that happens frequently vs an x class flare..

My whole argument is pretty simple..thinking you are more useful because you use your hands is just as ridiculous as thinking you are more useful for using your brain.. It takes all types equally to make the world go around.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Technology is not necessary. It's cool, but not needed other than for those on life support.

I more admire a person who can do things without tech. Grow, catch, hunt their own food. Build there own shelter. Find a good source of water.

The modern day equivalent of these? Skilled laborers. They build our shelter, transport our water, and make life more convenient.

Good luck with living in the real world believing that tech doesnt do much at all.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Not everyone has business acumin. Try opening a restaurant without any knowledge of health & safety, without a food hygiene certificate then come back to me and tell me education is for employees.

Hand made wooden boats are in steep decline, I could probably count all the master shipbuilders left in the UK on my two hands, maybe one now. Once they are dead (soon) only text books exist, you'd have to go to a third world nation to learn these skills.

It was just an example, but hey don't take my word for it... Go look up the cost of a handmade longbow. There's money to be made and not enough being made for demand.

I mean no offence but you're coming across narrow minded.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Imagine a world where humans never grew smart enough to know how to grow and harvest food... We wouldn't exist.

No imagine a world where Facebook doesn't exist...

Big difference, eh?

link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Ummm...then that makes three of us...

YouSir

link   

I'm with deadlyhope on this one. If you can survive in any time before the 18th century easier than in 2017, you're my kinda thinker.

I personally feel it is much more hell for a well rounded individual to survive in this time. Even 20 years ago, this wasn't the case. When the lights go out, you don't want "Erudite" to be the largest population.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I agree.

Snobbery between trades has always existed though hasn't it?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Imagine a world where humans never grew smart enough to know how to grow and harvest food... We wouldn't exist.

No imagine a world where Facebook doesn't exist...

Big difference, eh?

If you think posting on Facebook is indicative of the skill required to have a successful IT career then you are being purposely ignorant..

Imagine the real world where it takes trades people and technology people to make the world survive and grow.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
All this talk of hypothetical catastrophes is funny. The person who is going to survive is not the one who can build a house but the one with the ammunition.

I don't need to build a frickin house when you did me the solid of keeping yours all nice and warm for me.

edit on 18-2-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Not everyone has business acumin. Try opening a restaurant without any knowledge of health & safety, without a food hygiene certificate then come back to me and tell me education is for employees.

Hand made wooden boats are in steep decline, I could probably count all the master shipbuilders left in the UK on my two hands, maybe one now. Once they are dead (soon) only text books exist, you'd have to go to a third world nation to learn these skills.

It was just an example, but hey don't take my word for it... Go look up the cost of a handmade longbow. There's money to be made and not enough being made for demand.

I mean no offence but you're coming across narrow minded.

I don't mean to say that things aren't needed and that employees aren't needed.

But deadly has mentioned wanting to start a business. All those boat makers aren't talking right now, deadly is.

Also, information and skills are much cheaper and easier to access outside of school now. The time is soon coming when I won't care whether a surgeon is certified or not.

Society doesn't run that way because ignorance is rampant. I don't work that way. I judge based on reality, not opinions. I have opinions, but those don't interfere with my senses.

It's not narrow minded to make sure the truth is said in the face of cultural or social reasoning.

But I do comprehend your point.

That being said, one could start a business building anything.

Find out for yourself if you must - but there is no school teaching anything you can't learn for yourself, except for surgery, and that as long as you're not a sociopathic murderer.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

All this talk of hypothetical catastrophes is funny. The person who is going to survive is not the one who can build a house but the one with the ammunition.

I don't need to build a frickin house when you did me the solid of keeping yours all nice and warm for me.

Only assuming your ammunition will be better than someone else's, perpetually...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join