It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I seriously dislike my generation.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

No I am more implying that remove all house builders, we'd be screwed.

Remove all Mark Zukerbergs.. And we'd be just fine.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
Only assuming your ammunition will be better than someone else's, perpetually...

The law of averages is in my favor since I live in New Jersey and non-gun owners outnumber us crazies.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Guns are useless against an APC, well the guns most people have access to.

Nothing quite like renovating with a 30mm cannon.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
Nothing quite like renovating with a 30mm cannon.

I know. Me and Mr. Fifty Mike Mike gonna have some fun. I already have me eyes set on some cush new digs when the asteroid comes.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Most guns people have access to are more useful than most APCs people have access to.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Hah, all this talk of end-of-the-world times.

Imagine realistic situations. A Tsunami or Hurricane is going to hit a coast - Who's more useful, the guy who can type 200 words per minute, or the one who knows how to properly protect his property from the worst damage, if possible - Or knows how to get by in the meantime if his house is bound for being destroyed.

A power grid failure that lasts a few weeks - Which family member do you rely on, Mr. Can program in five languages, or the guy who has candles, matches, food storage, dried foods, etc?

It also depends on what we call technology - To me, a vehicle is mostly mechanics and the ability to work with ones hands, it's not computer-driven, it's not based on the latest and greatest technology ( well, doesn't need to be - stupid cars these days that rely on more and more computers aren't proving to be "better" ) - Invention and technology are not the same thing to me, though. Technology these days mostly deals with electronics, computers, systems, and the like.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

No I am more implying that remove all house builders, we'd be screwed.

Remove all Mark Zukerbergs.. And we'd be just fine.

Im sure if you removed all the Bill Gates, Zuckerbergs, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos types and their corresponding companies we wouldnt be fine but its okay you only seem interested in fantasy what if's..

Alright keep feeling superior cause you can use a hammer while typing on a keyboard on some tech device and posting to a web site over a connection to the Internet. I would put out that in that equation it took people that use their hands and people that use their brains but you want to deal with fantasy what if's vs the real world so it seems like we have hit an impasse..
edit on 18-2-2017 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

A Tsunami or Hurricane is going to hit a coast...

We had one of those here in New Jersey, you may have heard of it, it was called Hurricane Sandy.

You know who was the most useful? This guy, because I had a generator, plenty of gasoline and food. My neighbors loved me because I let them charge their phones, iPads and what have you when they did not have power for upwards of a week. I was even a total mensch and offered them a cold beer.

A power grid failure that lasts a few weeks - Which family member do you rely on, Mr. Can program in five languages, or the guy who has candles, matches, food storage, dried foods, etc?

Uh, what does that have to do with having trade skills? Nothing. That is called being prepared. I do not know how to frame a house but I can sure gas up the genie when I need to.

To me, a vehicle is mostly mechanics and the ability to work with ones hands, it's not computer-driven, it's not based on the latest and greatest technology ( well, doesn't need to be - stupid cars these days that rely on more and more computers aren't proving to be "better" ) - Invention and technology are not the same thing to me, though. Technology these days mostly deals with electronics, computers, systems, and the like.

Great, they still sell antique cars, have fun screwing around with a solid cam/lifters. I can tell you I would rather drive my Honda most days than my Sting Ray.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

You really think anyone born within the last century ... Is necessary?

Necessity and luxury are way, way different.

Craftsman for ages have made surviving possible.

IT for years have made life... more convenient.

Convenience is not equivalent to the big things.

You give up your in-house plumbing, and I'll give up my computer. We'll see who lasts longer.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

You really think anyone born within the last century ... Is necessary?

Cool story..
This statement above is about as clueless as people on here that claim the Earth is flat..

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

To use my example, you could go print off your own fake hygiene certificate doesn't stop an inspector closing you down.

You can't be a cop without the training. You're not training aspiring pilots without being vetted, nor are you allowed to play with electronics or plumbing without the pieces of paper that say this person is legally qualified.

My point about boats, wooden boats is nobody is making them, here anyways. Why would they when fibre glass is king.

You can learn yourself, in fact if that's the point you are making I fully agree. A good portion of my knowledge wasn't learned in a classroom scenario.

I'm not sure about the US but here, saying I'm a bricky doesn't make it so. Especially if you plan on being self-employed.

I mean, you might get lucky but chances are you'll screw up a building regulation then get hammered. My dad thinks he can do any construction trade. Fact is he can, doesn't make him qualified though.

You might be of the opinion the education system is a monopoly on making money and "qualifications", it's not the case. Education and regulation serves a purpose.

My father ain't getting near my electrical circuits, it's not the way I wanna be bouncing off the walls.

But I agree to an extent, you don't need no stinking qualification to make pottery or fix bycicles but nobody is giving loans to unqualified fishermen for boats, nor are they jumping to hire " mechanics " who have worked with engines all their life... You're not getting a workshop unless your qualified, you just won't be legally touching engines.

You know who is self-employed in the UK without qualifications?

White van men, bouncy castle hirer's and cleaning agencies, even taxi drivers are vetted and licensed. If your caught taxiing without your paperwork you're screwed... See my point?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Point I was making is gubment wantz ya digz.

If it all collapses, those with access to military stockpiles are the winners, if they know how to use what they have.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

This is what I don't understand. This has now morphed into survival skills.

You know what I can pick a book up and do after one reading? Plant a garden. Remember how far to dig my crap-hole from where I'm sleeping. Tie a fishing lure.

Know what I can't do by picking up a book and reading it once? Restore the power grid.

It's freaking apples and oranges man. Necessity is the mother of invention. Put me in a situation where I need to hunt to have meat? I can do it. I can garden. I can dig a trench. I can put up a frame solid enough to live under, but it probably won't be solid enough to house 12 families without somebody else helping me. What I can't do is restore power to my entire community, or run a medical facility, or fix transoceanic lines of communication.

I don't know why this has now turned into "manual labor is more important than anything else!" Mike Rowe, the king of manual labor, doesn't pretend the guy cleaning out a sewage tank is more important than Barsky being willing to go into the sewage tank with him and get it on camera.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
This is what I don't understand. This has now morphed into survival skills.

That and some Luddite-like fetishization against technology.

'Me no likey tech, me typee this on tech machine, ugh!'

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hmm?

I think people got lost somewhere.

Forty years from now, I feel there will be a huge lack of people to fix pipes, wire houses, build things - technology might replace people over time.. But that's not exactly a good thing, either. Automation has its benefits and draw backs, I'm not pretending it's all bad.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hmm?

I think people got lost somewhere.

Forty years from now, I feel there will be a huge lack of people to fix pipes, wire houses, build things - technology might replace people over time.. But that's not exactly a good thing, either. Automation has its benefits and draw backs, I'm not pretending it's all bad.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Forty years from now, I feel there will be a huge lack of people to fix pipes, wire houses, build things - technology might replace people over time.

Doubtful. But either way it will still get done.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: seasonal

It's because we are pissed off and not sure why.

We ain't stupid either, if it comes to violence it happens fast.

Yeah, that new Call of Duty is a bitch, ain't it?? That, and GTA ver.7.09 beta.

That being said, everyone has the learning curve to climb. We ain't paying for your crap, we'll pay for our own.

Yeah, you stole it ALL, allowed your government to spend all those old guy's retirements, along with yours, your children's and your children's children's.

Some might say we are greedy demanding more, ...

YEP!! Selfish and lazy too! Narcissistic, egotistical and arrogant as well. Unprofessional, impolite (downright rude in fact), unskilled...and did I mention LAZY??? Damn straight!

I say the last generation were thick and a bit yellow-bellied.

I'll bet you wouldn't say that to the last generation's face, now would ya??? To the guy with the welding hood on, or the ironworker coming down off the steel, or the roughneck on the drilling platform...or the combat hardened veteran who's spent the last 10 years in the ass crack of the Universe to preserve your right to say that...now would ya?

Like all generations though... The next one will be even scarier.

Well, we're not worried about it. We'll all likely be dead, so it our turn to be selfish and say...ALL YOUR PROBLEM, YOU DEAL WITH IT!!

edit on 2/18/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Get with the times...

Trump has already told ya, China China China!

Now let's think of some stereotype jokes about Chinese plumbing...

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Haha.

I don't play CoD, kinda boringly repetitive, like vet's protecting my freedom by fighting peasants in some far off land.

I'll qualify for my state pension at 70 maybe later how things are going but I'm not fussed about that, I plan on brewing my own gut rot and seeing how long I last if things are that good by then

I'll bet you wouldn't say that to the last generation's face, now would ya??? To the guy with the welding hood on, or the ironworker coming down off the steel, or the roughneck on the drilling platform...or the combat hardened veteran who's spent the last 10 years in the ass crack of the Universe to preserve your right to say that...now would ya? 

Not all of them, just the lazy f****rs who let Maggy Thatcher screw over our communities whilst others were protesting and striking.

Well, we're not worried about it. We'll all likely be dead, so it our turn to be selfish and say...ALL YOUR PROBLEM, YOU DEAL WITH 

Nah the next gen can, I'll be pissed off homebrew laughing at the kids spending all of their £800 quid pocket money on craper gut rot than mine.

Talking about how their was only 3 sexes when I was at your age.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join