It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for help for a friend with a colostomy (& skin issues from the pouch adhesive)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
My friend had a colostomy 8 years ago and recently had surgery to correct her prolapsed stoma. She has been dealing with skin irritations from the adhesive used to seal the pouch to her skin.

I searched online and found many ostomy patients complaining of the same issue and most had decided that they were allergic to the adhesive itself. For 8 years my friends' doctors have said "It's excema" and have over prescribed steroids and she has suffered extreme repercussions to her health.

I have seen her skin red raw and painful and she is forced to stick another pouch on somehow, whilst worrying about seepage from the stoma onto her skin and sores. After a frustrating appointment with her doctor today, I bought her a bottle of pure aloe and told her we would fix this naturally.

I mentioned the issue to the health food store employee (and said that I was looking for products that were made using natural ingredients and were non-allergenic), she told me that flanges with manuka honey were available in England and that if I googled it I would find the information online.

I thought I would inquire here to see if anybody has had any similar experiences and advice, and also to see specifically if anyone from ATS who is in England is aware of such products.

She has been treated so badly by her 'medical professionals' that I am now hell-bent and determined to help/heal her naturally. I've personally had amazing results with coconut oil and aloe gel and I'm aware that manuka honey is also healing. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate the information.
jacy

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Yes, my mom had that problem. That is when I first tried tea tree oil diluted. The most important thing is to let the wound air a while.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Instead of sealing the pouch directly to her skin, put a wide piece of tape [ or several narrow strips ] on, then seal the pouch to that. Keep the adhesive away from her and that should do it.
As far as healing the sores, wash with gentle soap and water, my Mom uses Ivory or a good glycerin soap and then use Silvadene cream.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Hi MOMof3...thank you!

Could you possibly tell me what ratio you used for diluting the tea tree oil? I've used it before myself and didn't even think of that.
How long would your mom leave it on? I'm assuming it would have to be wiped off before attaching the flange?
(That's why I suggested the aloe, it dries without leaving a greasy film on the skin)

Sorry, one more question...did your mom find a brand to use that didn't irritate her skin, or is it an ongoing issue requiring tea tree applications regularly?
I really appreciate your help and will be showing my friend the information that I get from this knowledgeable community!
jacy

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Hi DAVID64...thank you!

I've heard of Silvadene cream, isn't that what the hospitals use on burn patients? (I could be confused about that...?) I need to search and find out how available that is in Canada.
She apparently has always had super sensitive skin and is even allergic to some brands of the pouch itself (and has to tape it away from her skin).
I'm not quite sure what you mean about sealing the pouch to tape instead of her skin...at some point the adhesive needs to touch her skin to keep the flange attached. (Sorry, I'm not experienced with flanges & pouches and am learning as I go).
I really do appreciate the help!
jacy

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Hi Jacygirl!

I looked after my dad for several years at that time he had a Storma bag that was changed every 3 days or so (depending whether it burst or not)

he also suffered from irritated skin caused by the adhesive, we inquired about it and they gave us a different type of storma bag (which was meant for sensitive skin) less abrasive adhesive supposedly. That seemed to help a little but he was irritated all over his body due to low immune at that time, I began to use coconut oil on his skin and it soothed and cleared it right up!

this is the stuff i use - just rub into the area let it dry and put the storma bag on

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AMNicks

Hey AMNicks, thank you!

I use coconut oil myself and it's been wonderful. My only concern was the greasy residue left behind...what would you suggest using to remove that afterwards, because the flange won't stick unless the skin is dry...? (am I correct?)
I'll have to ask if she's tried glycerin soap, like DAVID suggested. I'm pretty sure even Ivory soap irritates her.

Has anyone heard about the ostomy equipment that has manuka honey in/on it? I will google it, but am interested in finding out if anyone has tried them (or heard of them).

I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond!!
jacy

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Read this. This lady seems to have it down pat.

theklappfamily.blogspot.com...

ETA - My ex wife is a 20+ year R.N. I'll check with her and see if she has any secrets and get back to you later.
edit on 9-2-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I used half tt and half water. The skin absorbs tea tree oil unlike mineral oil. We would let her skin dry with it before attaching flange. She had hers from 1970 til 1993. Skin issues were always a problem but the tea tree oil worked better than anything else at the time. And there were not that many brands at the time, so I don't remember the name.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That link is awesome, thank you! I haven't read it all yet but I can tell it's good information. Will send that link to my friend so we can talk about it when I see her later today.

I would appreciate hearing any of your ex-wife's suggestions. In the past I had a bunch of nurse friends who seemed to know so much more about medications/side effects, etc. than the doctors. (no offence to any doctors here, speaking about personal experience)
jacy

MOMof3...Okay, that's great...thank you. I have tea tree oil here so will take it to her. I actually got rid of a cyst behind my earlobe using tea tree oil. (couldn't believe how well it worked)

edit on 9-2-2017 by jacygirl because: more to add

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This barrier lotion is just for folks with skin sensitivity. You apply it, wait for it to dry, then go ahead with the regular application of the adhesive.

www.vitalitymedical.com...

3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film is a dry skin lotion that protects damaged, sensitive skin from body fluids, friction and adhesives. This fast-drying, alcohol-free liquid barrier film forms a breathable transparent coating on the skin, protecting wounds and ostomies from dangerous moisture buildup and body fluids. This dry skin lotion is non-sticky, hypoallergenic, non-cytotoxic and will not sting even when applied to damaged or denuded skin. 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film is designed with a unique 3M terpolymer that forms a breathable, transparent protective barrier film on the skin that dissolves smoothly into a solvent system. If you're searching for a fast-drying, non-sticky protective film, look no farther than this breathable, skin-protecting no-sting film.

It may look like I'm going out of my way, but being a chronic pain sufferer myself, I hate to see anyone in pain if I can help.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

It may look like I'm going out of my way, but being a chronic pain sufferer myself, I hate to see anyone in pain if I can help.

Aww, same here with chronic pain. That's why I decided to start a thread about it...many good people who understand pain and suffering and are willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

You may be going out of your way, but I'm grateful for that. My friend is a wonderful person, kind and generous. She has been treated really badly by her doctors, especially regarding her last surgery.
She was told to prepare for a week in the hospital, operation was on Dec. 23. The hospital released her the next day, Christmas Eve...with NO pain medication. Everything was closed for 2 days and no nurses were available for a home care check. Her surgeon and family physician were both on vacation and our local emergency dept. would have shipped her out of town.

So I've been trying to help but I'm no expert. Your good intentions are being directed towards someone who deserves them and I'm grateful for that. I will show her this thread when I see her later. That 3M Barrier Film sounds fabulous, I hope it's available here.
jacy

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Since there are a few folks here a work with Ileostomy and colostomy, I called my favorite RN buddy (yes, this was an excuse LOL) for advice.
She suggested that there are many products that your friend may try but, she may have to try several brands until a suitable one is found. UGH!

There are lots of different brands of 'skin prep' products.
There is a stoma paste and stoma powder. The paste acts like a 'caulk' so that may be what is needed.

Also, there are adhesive powders and she may want to try cutting the hole in the wafer a little bigger.

Good luck!
Let us know how it goes as time permits, please. Your friend is lucky to have you for her advocate!

wellandmedical.com...
edit on 9-2-2017 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Aww, thank you sweetie...I appreciate your help and kind words!

We are in a small town and there is only one medical supply store here. Although she is on government assistance she has to pay for her supplies and only gets a small allowance towards the cost. (really expensive too, just blows my mind because it's not like she can live without them)

She has requested samples to try from a couple of different companies but all of them irritate her, some worse than others.

I told her we had to think bigger...see what's available worldwide and then see how we can go about getting them sent here. She's got numerous health issues and is feeling pretty defeated. I'm like a dog with a bone now, lol...determined to ask around and it's already paid off here (thanks to you and the others).

When I visit her after mama's lunch, I'm just going to pull up this site and let her read the thread (and the personal messages I've received with helpful information). I've already been made aware of products that I didn't know about, and I've got coconut oil and tea tree oil too.

It's wonderful how ATS members help with real life issues. (no wonder we hang out here, eh?)
jacy

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

That 3M Barrier Film sounds fabulous, I hope it's available here.

If you can't find it locally, you can get it on Amazon.

www.amazon.com...=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Cavilon+No+Sting+Barrier+Film

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Jacy- Here is the website:

www.medline.com...

They have the adhesive bandages, lotions, etc. etc.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

You guys have been so helpful!!
I can't wait to show her all this new information.

My friend has a credit card and has made online purchases, so that's good. Apparently she's useless at digging for information though, lol...so I volunteered for the job.

I'm feeling pretty confident now that there are alternatives to try and I thank you all for helping.
If I can every help with anything, please send me a message!
jacy

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I have no experience with what you are requesting..but..your friend is so lucky to have you be her advocate and helping her.....hope you find something that will work well for her....post an update when you get a chance
edit on 9-2-2017 by research100 because: deleted duplicat part of post

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

Oh hey, thank you research100!! What a lovely thing to say.

My friend is a really genuine good person who's always doing things for other people, so I'm lucky to have her.

I've sent her all the information that I've received here so far, and tomorrow we will look into what she wants to try first, and how to purchase some of the products that aren't available locally.

I will definitely update when she gets some good results.
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

jacy

top topics

join