It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate confirms DeVos as Education secretary Vice President Pence breaks 50-50 tie

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
This administration is going to destroy America.

Pence the deciding vote. Of course this disaster would be confirmed.

I hope people refuse to work for her. And boycott everything she puts out.

You understand that thank to Harry Reid'd rules changes, there really hasn't been much opportunity for there to be a tiebreaker in the past?

So it's not like this is a huge deal. Prior to Harry Reid's rule changes in 2012 (remember, Democrats still held a majority but not a 60 vote one then), cabinet noms needed 60 votes. This is only a first because of that.

The press is making a mountain out of a molehill, and you can thank Harry Reid for this.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

This administration is going to destroy America.

Pence the deciding vote. Of course this disaster would be confirmed.

Good thing the new people in government are actually concerned about children.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

But of course, it's all about the children...

It's definitely about the children for me.

She is about God and white privilege.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: shooterbrody

Humm, I used to teach Spanish in the county I live in for years, the school meetings are not all that, school board meetings are a lot of hoopla but people don't do much.

And as for the school lessons or what is done in the classroom, well every school year it came in a box and all I had to do was to follow the instructions.

What that tells you.

If school is failing the children lets find out who makes those stupid lesson books that read like recipe books.

Who decided to use that particular curriculum?
local board?
state?
fed?

What ever you do .....by all means DO NOT HOLD YOUR LOCAL OFFICIALS ACCOUNTABLE
sarc

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
So if DeVos gets her way that means that religious schools will be receiving federal funding. Does that mean I can opt out of paying for schools since some of that money is going towards a religion I don't believe in? Or will any religious schools that receive federal vouchers be forced to pay taxes and conform with federal mandates (ie IDEA)?

Either way I can definitely see lawsuits coming down the pipeline pretty quickly.

Why does it matter to you since if you were choosing where to send your kids you could very likely end up sending them to s school I would not approve of, but you are paying taxes for the education and so long as your kids come out reading, writing, and doing arithmatic (ie knowing the core subjects at entrance level exam for a college) what does it matter to your where that education comes from or what else is taught alongside it?

If you want to send your kid to Littl Beelzebub's Hail Satan Academy, it's no business of mine if you can take the SAT and ACT at enttrance exame levels for college.

Similarly, if I'm using St. Mary's Catholic School, you can stuff it if mine can do likewise.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

"White privilege"

Lol. Alright then.
edit on -060002pm2kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Because that's a false equivalency and, quite honestly, getting rid of many government agencies would open up a broader ability to choose. It really is The State that limits choice, even if some of the choice could have negative consequences.

It's not the place (or, at least it shouldn't be) for the federal government to try and protect us from making choices that it deems to be inappropriate--and by "protect us from," I mean prohibit.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: Annee

What has she done specifically that would warrant people boycotting her?

Being affiliated with Mr.Trump is enough reason to now a days, haven't you heard?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Wonderful news. Lets hope she gets the busy bodies out of education by removing all discussion from the classroom about social justice.
Time for kids to learn maths, languages, sciences, history, geography and religion.
Trump administration wins again. So much winning!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Most curriculums are followed by national guidelines, the only thing most states have control is when it comes to their individual history.

Something that I never seen before I started working for the state where I live in, even my children that attended DOD school didn't have an individual state history class.

Because their education was not control by the state.

edit on 7-2-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

Then that choice would be the wrong choice if the parent can't afford any non-covered tuition, or even the peripheral costs of attending a private school. So, if necessary, they may have to default to the nearest public school, or find one that's a in-between, where maybe it's not the public school, but not the massively expensive private school, either.

Keep in mind, if there was more choice in the education system, you'd see more non-public schools entering the market, and in doing so, would generally drive down the cost as they competed against each other. But that's getting into supply-and-demand economics and how it could apply to a hypothetical situation that has yet to occur, and that's not really what this thread is about, per se, so I'm going to refrain from further derailment.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Despite the popular perception that private schools are pricey institutions, they are, in fact, significantly less expensive than public schools. The average tuition for private school primary students is $4,700 while high schools charge $7,800. In contrast, the state foundation allowance for every public school pupil is about $7,400 while the total spending of the average district is around $13,000 per student each school year.

The lower spending levels do not come from employing an uneducated or unqualified workforce, however. The study found that 98 percent of private school educators hold at least a bachelor's degree, and 82 percent are accredited by the state of Michigan. Additionally, private schools constantly administer student achievement tests — exams which measure students against their peer groups — to ensure that education standards are met. They tend to rely more on private assessments, such as the ACT or SAT examinations, than on Michigan’s official test, the M-STEP.

More importantly, said White, "Private schools are not taking a one-size-fits-all approach to tuition.” Many schools use a sliding scale based on income, and some charge each family a percentage of its income. The study also found that private schools that serve more underprivileged children cost less and provide more financial aid than private schools serving fewer underprivileged students.

Private schools often offer a central location for outlying areas to gather and obtain transportation to their school. Quite similar to head start bus pickups/dropoffs locations.

I had the opportunity in my childhood to actually attend one year in a private school. I hated the dress code, but loved the different style of teaching. I was able to excel 2 grade years of education in that one year. The teachers were able to give one on one attention to students who needed assistance. All students were able to learn at their own pace. No one was held back nor forced to go beyond their actual levels.

As far as folks upset about religious private schools, the win/win/win solution is that in the private field, demand creates opportunities. Demand non-secular private schools and it will be supplied in creating a new school, jobs, and opportunities.

I am actually excited to see what changes DEvos can create for the betterment of our children's / grandchildren's education. She never had any real pull as a non-politician to really make a real difference. Money withstanding, she was still an outsider.

Source Link includes presentation and PDF links for budget specifics

edit on 2 7 2017 by CynConcepts because: Oops forgot link

link   
The education department needs to be whipped back into shape.

I have alaways been one of Devo's biggest fans.

Here is a clip of them playing a free show at SF Civic Center I went to.

edit on 7-2-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Annee

White privilege?

You understand that the voucher programs she champions stand to benefit inner city minority children the most?

Most of the similarly disadvantaged white children would likely be rural ... you do know this right?

You aren't just talking out your rear because the language sound right to you?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Oh dear. What a strange comment.
Perhaps you should leave it to the professionals. De Vos is now in charge.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

They probably had to cut that class in order to spend more time teaching for mandated tests required by the federal government that can then be used to show that our education system is mediocre at best on the world scale.

link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Didn't you heard, anything Trump is racist now a days, you know the usual propaganda.

Nothing new really.

edit on 7-2-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I seem to recall the Christian Right throwing a massive fit when they were told that their taxes would help provide birth control. Were they being whiny little babies then?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Controversial Betsy DeVos has been confirmed by the Senate.

She will be the Education Secretary.

The Senate voted 50/50 and for the first time, the President of the Senate (VP Mike Pence) cast the tie-breaking vote !!

First time a tie-breaker for a Cabinet Nominee !!

BREAKING: Senate confirms Betsy DeVos as Education secretary after Vice President Mike Pence breaks 50-50 tie

I guess this is what it's going to take when your political opponents are all a bunch of spoiled 10 year old brats that are gonna cause delays just because they don't like you.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

My state controls ours.
I guess the states that take the federal aid get boxed in by it and lose their ability to make their own decision.

guidelines are great when they are that
my experience is that they are not

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join