It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Blaine and a fabulous lesson on the truthfulness of ‘news.’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

It's fake. Any critical-thinking person can see this.

It was reported by the Daily Mail as legit news and jam packed with 'tweeted' endorsements.

I think it's a fine example of fake news and also a great lesson.

I like that it isn't a partisan or political example of fake news. It really serves the nice purpose of clarity.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I know magic isn't real. But I didn't think this was supposed to be an illusion to start with. I thought the point of it was that it was all set up so that it would work as long as he didn't get off target. As in the bullet was specially packed and the cup and all that was made to withstand the impact.

I didn't think it was supposed to be an illusion but more of a stunt. But I could be wrong. Although I don't see what the trick would be in that case. Why go through all the extra work of having a steel cup and mouthpiece and stuff. If it's an illusion then catch it in your teeth or something like that.

But like I said, I don't always understand the point of some of his stuff anyway. I don't see this as a trick. I see it more of a stunt like getting shot out of a cannon or something.

All the "extra work" is to get people to believe it.
It's all smoke and mirrors, Good Sir.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Fine. Let's say it's fake then. I still think it's a bad example to use. If it's fake who's to say that the people reporting it knew that???

Or if they did know it, maybe them reporting it as real is also part of making that illusion real so it works.

I mean if they reported it as fake wouldn't that also stop him from doing the trick in the first place???

I guess I don't see this as being news in the same sense as other news. This is infotainment.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

In that case I don't see what it has to do with being a magic trick. Magic is supposed to make you think you witnessed something impossible. But if you set up the trick with the idea that it's totally possible, I don't see what makes it so special anymore.

I mean someone could create a special mouthpiece and special loaded round that would allow someone to catch it in in their mouth. The only trick then is making sure it shoots on target. Meaning all that it requires is someone willing to take that chance. Like a stunt that might kill you. Like the guy walking a tightrope across the grand canyon. Although that took skill too. But basically nothing magic about it. Just a crazy guy willing to risk his life.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Fine. Let's say it's fake then. I still think it's a bad example to use. If it's fake who's to say that the people reporting it knew that???

Or if they did know it, maybe them reporting it as real is also part of making that illusion real so it works.

I mean if they reported it as fake wouldn't that also stop him from doing the trick in the first place???

I guess I don't see this as being news in the same sense as other news. This is infotainment.

Was it reported as infotainment? NO!

Jiminy criminy!

This is fake news and should resonate with anyone regardless of their party affiliation.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I don't know. You said it was reported on the Daily Mail right??? Well isn't that a questionable source to start with??? Like tabloid news???

I didn't read any news reports of it so I don't know. I just say the video of him doing it. I didn't know anyone was reporting anything about it at all actually until you mentioned it.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I don't know. You said it was reported on the Daily Mail right??? Well isn't that a questionable source to start with??? Like tabloid news???

I didn't read any news reports of it so I don't know. I just say the video of him doing it. I didn't know anyone was reporting anything about it at all actually until you mentioned it.

They are all questionable. The DM is a major news outlet.

ETA: People Mag, FOX, HuffPo, Yahoo...this story was picked up by several mainstream news sources.

edit on 8-1-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

In that case I don't see what it has to do with being a magic trick. Magic is supposed to make you think you witnessed something impossible. But if you set up the trick with the idea that it's totally possible, I don't see what makes it so special anymore.

I mean someone could create a special mouthpiece and special loaded round that would allow someone to catch it in in their mouth. The only trick then is making sure it shoots on target. Meaning all that it requires is someone willing to take that chance. Like a stunt that might kill you. Like the guy walking a tightrope across the grand canyon. Although that took skill too. But basically nothing magic about it. Just a crazy guy willing to risk his life.

Think about it. It's only possible because of some gear that was invented. Gear that is better than Kevlar or anything else that solders have?
I'm sorry to say you were taken by a master illusionist.
There isn't a special mouthpiece or loaded round.
It is all press, and illusion.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I just don't see it as a trick. It seemed more like a stunt to me.

That's what I said earlier about some of his so called "magic" not even being magic at all. I guess I don't get it.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

The plain and simple is every trick is a stunt and every stunt a trick.

For this one specifically:

What if I told you the cup had a tongue trigger with a spent bullet to show?
I do not know the ins and outs of this gag, but I do know you cannot catch a bullet in your teeth (or mouth).
And I know many will not risk their life on a steel cup when steel armor didn't protect people from arrows shot with renaissance long bows. That doesn't even get into modern firearms.

As much as I hate to admit it. There is no such thing as magic (that I know of).

He posed it as a stunt for publicity. As he has done before for other things.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Yeah. I don't get it. I think he should stick with doing magic. Actual card tricks and slight of hand and stuff.

Locking yourself in ice or starving yourself or whatever, I just don't get it.

He should bury his head in concrete next and then when it dries have someone smash it open and see if he's alive. I might watch that.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Did anyone actually see the stunt. There is video of it. In slow motion.

Don't know if its real or not, but the real version has been done before. People started doing it all the way back in the 1800's. And they were doing it for real because sometimes when doing the trick, people would die.

Now-a-days its almost always fake. Criss Angel said his version of the cup in mouth, that people thought was real, was actually fake. But like I said there is slow motion video of David's version of the bullet catch. So who knows. Unless he faked the slow-mo video.

Most magician will tell you that what they are doing is a trick and illusion. The magic community is very serious about that kind of stuff. So within the community they all say that the bullet catch is a trick. The only modern bullet catch that I have seen controversy on is Carl Skenes version. Carl Skenes version is the only version that I know of that magicians argue about whether it is real. Its where the distinction of bullet catch illusion and bullet catch stunt comes from.

Carl Skenes and everyone around him say its real, and some magic historians and magicians think it might be real. A stunt not an illusion. And they are the professionals who should know. But you didn't hear any of that from me.

Penn seems to not be sure if its real or not. He says he hopes its not. That If it was an illusion and David is trying to sell it as a stunt. Then that it is wrong. And if it was real, then its not magic and still wrong.

edit on 9-1-2017 by karmicecstasy because: MAGIC!!!

edit on 9-1-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy
Penn just said everything I was trying to say. But with Pennache.
"Don't insult your audience"
9:30 into the Penn video "If your doing a trick and you get hurt...then you're a shltty magician.." Penn Jillette

TRUTH
edit on 1/9/2017 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I dont know if this would qualify as news much less fake news. Maybe if it went along the lines of David Blanes kills himself in gun stunt, his burial will be held next Tuesday. And if come Tuesday turns out he was alive and kicking then maybe it was fake news for whatever wacky reason.

This may qualify as a stunt and just to get draws, or hype. But who knows, I dont think shooting yoursefl in the mouth into a steel cup even with all kinds of protection is very smart, even using a .22. But its likely a trick, there are all kinds of .22 rounds, and even all kinds of riffles, and you can modify both bullet and riffle to not any design you so choose.

Lets just say I dont think this magic trick will work or sit to well with mister David Blane if some random dude just showed up to his show and asked to shoot him in the mouth with the riffle and bullets he just happen to bring along. If you know what I am saying.

.22 are not the deadliest bullet you can get shot with, but I agree with the guy in this vid who did a test on the caliber, though I think the riffle they used and what Blaine uses for his particular magic trick as well as the bullets are different. But I got to agree with the guy in the vid at about the 6:00 min mark "A .22 will kill the crap out of you" Quite well said.

Also maybe they should do a how its done vid, the run over by a truck trick is pretty cool, though if some of those weights come off while in motion, it would end quite differently for Teller, also the tires seem a bit deflated as well. But you know, magic.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I would not classify this as 'fake news', but rather 'self promotion'. Anyone remember a magician named Harry Houdini? He was a MASTER at self promotion. Hes remembered more for his ability to draw a crowd, more than his act as an escape artist. I also think you wont find a magician/illusionist alive today that wont cite him as an inspiration. Blain is just trying to re-hatch this old technique.
The other reason for this, has been mentioned several times in this thread already. How much $$$ would it cost to do all that advertising in all those sources? Now how much does it cost to pretend a trick went bad, appealing to the publics bloodlust? (Not meant to be negative, just being honest, we all have a lil bit)

Speaking of illusionists, whatever happened to that d-bag Cris Angel? Is he performing somewhere, or just out gelling his hair?
The guy does some amazing stuff, but i can't stand his personality, and fake persona.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

GREAT Video!!!

I always loved Penn for his ability to cll it as he sees it and not care what others think. After watching your lik, my respect has grown for him even more. It takes skill to show respect and praise a performer, while simultaneously demeaning certain aspects of their act.
Penn is clearly a man who takes great pride and respect in the art of entertainment. If someone taking as much pride in their work as he does isnt admirable, i dont know what is!

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
Penn seems to not be sure if its real or not. He says he hopes its not. That If it was an illusion and David is trying to sell it as a stunt. Then that it is wrong. And if it was real, then its not magic and still wrong.

I bet Penn knows exactly how it was done.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real
I would not classify this as 'fake news', but rather 'self promotion'.

I think fake news is almost universally intended to promote something...a person, groups, politics, ideologies, products, fear, etc...

I agree though that 'fake news,' like this, has always existed...that's why I raise my eyebrow at the sudden interest in the issue.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Did you actually watch the stunt? I did and he did in fact fire the bullet and it did break the mouth guard and propel the cup into the back of his throat

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andrew778

Oh, good. The trick was very convincing!

ETA: Still a trick though.
edit on 9-1-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join