It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Blaine and a fabulous lesson on the truthfulness of ‘news.’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Hmm.

No word yet from Penn Jillette on all this FAKE NEWS noise...

Gah, I bet he has some interesting thoughts on the issue!

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: Hazardous1408

If you don't think he's going market his world tour to sell tickets because it's a given every show will sell out, you are off your rocker.

I am off my rocker but that's irrelevant.

Performing a trick & selling a show, and faking news to sell a show are not the same thing.

You've spent an entire page being cynical.
Deconstructing Disinformation usually takes evidence.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
To be clear, I am not dissing David Blaine. He's great at what he does...fooling people.

This thread is a testament to that!

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

If you don't think he's going market his world tour to sell tickets because it's a given every show will sell out, you are off your rocker.

Performing a trick & selling a show, and faking news to sell a show are not the same thing.

The clues are right in front of you. He's a professional trickster starting a world tour and he's going to include this 'trick' that *cough* nearly killed him and made international 'news.'

Please, believe it all you want. I don't care. But, I think it's fakety fake fake.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

A trick he's been performing since 2010?

Way to break new ground there, eh.

What clues exactly?
Your word isn't a clue.

I either believe he did it, or I don't.

Ockham' Razor tells me he doesn't need to impress people with "fake news".

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The clues are right in front of you. He's a professional trickster starting a world tour and he's going to include this 'trick' that *cough* nearly killed him and made international 'news.'

Please, believe it all you want. I don't care. But, I think it's fakety fake fake.

It's as genuine as a nine Bob bit, as my good old Grandad would say. (whilst trying to spend said nine Bob bit)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Occam's razor should tell you he didn't fire a bullet at his head, he tricked you into believing he did.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Occam's razor should tell you he didn't fire a bullet at his head, he tricked you into believing he did.

I guess I shouldn't believe he spent 3 days in ice either?
Or that he stuck a spike through his own hand?
Or that he suspended himself above London for weeks without food and water?

Even though many many people saw these things happen.

You picked the wrong "trickster" in an attempt to be cynical about whether he'd actually go through with extreme stunts.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
As a very small time dabbler in stage illusion I can put a dent in this. That's not how the trick is done. You don't put a bullet in your mouth via gun, but rather by hand. This is all just a publicity stunt.

And yes I do have an issue with Blain, but that's not any ones business here.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I guess I shouldn't believe he spent 3 days in ice either?
Or that he stuck a spike through his own hand?

/ded

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Not everyone is insane on ATS, good luck with that.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Well, as Blaine was performing a trick, then I think the first assumption is that this near-death experience is part of that trick.

Or you can believe he really has magical powers and suddenly he didn't and nearly killed himself.

Yes, it's all a trick, but I still don't see how this is "fake news". It appears to be sensationalized marketing for his tour.

What's become obvious to me is that too many people have jumped on the bandwagon of "fake news".

Let's not conflate this sort of "journalism" with the actual fake news that was coming out of foreign nations in order to troll the Right Wing.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Well, as Blaine was performing a trick, then I think the first assumption is that this near-death experience is part of that trick.

Or you can believe he really has magical powers and suddenly he didn't and nearly killed himself.

Yes, it's all a trick, but I still don't see how this is "fake news". It appears to be sensationalized marketing for his tour.

What's become obvious to me is that too many people have jumped on the bandwagon of "fake news".

Let's not conflate this sort of "journalism" with the actual fake news that was coming out of foreign nations in order to troll the Right Wing.

Ah, yes. It was reported as news and it's fake, but it's not 'fake news.'

Got it.

ETA: And if you think fake news is confined to the right wing...then I just feel kind of bad for you. You are smarter than that.

edit on 8-1-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Grandad was a wise man learning a lesson on the spot and not beating his head repeatedly against a wall.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Got it.

It would be fake news if the illusion or act had never been performed at all, yet was still reported on as if it had.

And if you think fake news is confined to the right wing...then I just feel kind of bad for you. You are smarter than that.

I haven't seen any kiddos from the East making websites solely for the purpose of trolling the Left.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Got it.

It would be fake news if the illusion or act had never been performed at all, yet was still reported on as if it had.

And if you think fake news is confined to the right wing...then I just feel kind of bad for you. You are smarter than that.

I haven't seen any kiddos from the East making websites solely for the purpose of trolling the Left.

Oh, so the trick can never change. Once it's been done it can never ever change ever-ever to generate interest. It can never 'go awry' to make him more marketable. /sarc

And if you think the 'left' hasn't been trolled by fake news...you are wrong. Obama and Factcheck trolled the Left: Link

Believe it or not.

edit on 8-1-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
First suppose that he actually shot a bullet into a cup in his mouth...How is it that when a "magician" does this act, it is not thought to be possibly causing bodily harm to oneself or others, or attempted suicide? If any one else tried this and lived, they would be sent to a loony bin for evaluation at the least.

It has to be a trick/illusion to be cleared to perform this live. No law agency, or venue can just let him "try". And what about discharging a firearm in public? Free pass because he is a magician?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jappee

Great points.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

You're wrong actually. It happened just like he said it did. You can watch it as there is a video documentary about it. On his team is a guy who makes the mouthpiece for him. It's a custom fit mouthpiece that is supposed to stop the bullet. It's a real bullet too btw.

However, on one performance the mouthpiece shattered as it stopped the bullet sending fragments to the back of his throat. This was always a possibility and one of the reasons why so many people close to him don't like that he does it, but he does it anyway.

It normally doesn't shatter like that but this time it did.

Rather than just guess about what you think happened you should just watch the whole video about it.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You are further reinforcing my argument. IF it happened as you say, as it is perceived, then he caused himself bodily harm. That should be grounds for psych eval. Or charges of breaking some law common plebs have to conform with. Him charging an audience to watch is just as absurd.

I didn't know that famous magician equates to a free pass to perform suicidal stupidty.

ETA; Even though i LOVE to watch extreme stunts like jumping a canyon, i still don't understand how it is allowed to even happen. Base jumping IS against the law in most anywhere, but not flying a motorcycle 50ft+ high in a triple back flip? Jumping from a plane with no parachute? Most of these sports are just as suicidal at one point or another. I know insurance does play a role in liability, but what about the rest of the rules/law....negligence if others are injured?
edit on 1/8/2017 by jappee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join