It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ramifications for humanity if there is no God

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
weather the Gods are the creator of us, or if we are the creator of Gods, their existence, or at least the belief in that existence has played a vital part in man creating civilizations. the least that God could be is a tool, created by man to serve his needs. I don't think he will fade from our existence until we no longer have any needs the tool can be used to serve. he might not be the lord of thunder or the one pulling the sun across our sky anymore but he is the one that draws humans to come together into sacred spaces in brotherhood and faith.. provides hope for many. and well, he still seems to give mankind a reason to go to war often.
but, can one actually claim that he doesn't exist when the belief in him has so dominated the events in our history and present? no, I do believe that the gods exist...

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
If there is no God is it all just a waste of time?

Yes. But on the other hand, even if there was a God, it would still be a waste of time. Literally. Since an all-powerful, transdimensional creator being would know and control the action of every person (or atomic particle) in the universe, what would be the point of having it all play out? God knows the beginning, and the end. Why bother going through the motions?

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven
NO, there is no god as in the god that religion has created, no face in the sky that judges and no heaven in the clouds with trumpets playing...its not like that.

there is however a vast universe in which we know very little about, we also know very little about our own brains.

If when Jesus preached about "God" (the best word to describe it at the time), he could have been preaching about the universe (still probably not the best word for it), and in that case...yes a "god-like, larger than life" energy exists.

To act like you have read the bible and know all there is to know about god and life and judge what others do is extremely ignorant. No one knows, we thought the world was flat at one point and the earth was the center of the universe.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

You're only seeing one frame of the film from your point of view while God sees the whole reel. God can't be all knowing without something there to know. Thus the purpose of this all "playing out". IOW, God can't know the beginning and the ending if the beginning and ending never happen. God is the knower and we are the known.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Yes. But on the other hand, even if there was a God, it would still be a waste of time. Literally. Since an all-powerful, transdimensional creator being would know and control the action of every person (or atomic particle) in the universe, what would be the point of having it all play out? God knows the beginning, and the end. Why bother going through the motions?

That's brilliant, bringing nihilism to religion.

Well Done.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
World peace or the earth finally becomes an apple core.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

If there is no god there is absolute zero ramifications for humanity. There will still be belief. There will still be fanaticism. There will still be condemnation.

In general humans need to feel like part of a group. Religion gives that to them. It's all a part of tribalism, which we will never escape. I heard a saying on a TEDTalk: "Me against my brother. Me and my brother against my cousin. Me, my brother and my cousin against a stranger." This kind of sums up the human condition quite a bit, no matter which side of the political spectrum anyone is on. As humans we need to feel as if we are a part of a group, even if that group is not part of any of the prominent groups. Religion makes this possible in the most non-commital way. All one has to do is "believe." Acting on the beliefs isn't even necessary.

So even if there is no god, there will be belief. And belief is more dangerous than no god.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The only Ramifications would be the Ones Humanity puts on itself. Nothing more. Till it all fades away.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

If there is no God then EVERYTHING is permissible.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
One thing is certain....

God has a strange sense of humor.....

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: plaindoughnut

First and foremost does that make us bat# crazy?
Has our belief in God condemned us to extinction due to our believed destiny with God?

Post your thoughts.

Yew belief in God is crazy and yes it will be what causes our extinction.
And no...when we are all gone no one is going to heaven.
We are the 6th major extinction event.

How does it feel to be worthless.

Your existence is an accident and only worth what others can get from you.

You are a fluke of the universe, you have no right to be here.

Whether you can hear it or not,

The universe is laughing behind your back.

At least it's comforting your dog is getting enough cheese.

ETA; one of these vids is a portrait of a disappointment.

Why are you here. Why do you deserve to go anywhere else?

edit on 12 21 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't have a religion so I have no specific idea of God...I just know that if there is no divine purpose then we have no purpose at all.

Why would we need a purpose, divine or otherwise ?

To eat according to your need and worth.

Because someone will decide what you are worth.

And it won't be you.

ETA; and it won't be fair.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Has our belief in God condemned us to extinction due to our believed destiny with God?

Post your thoughts.

IMO, god or no god, your life is meaningless to everyone but you & those you directly impact, so make it something YOU are happy with. Don't bother brown nosing a deity or pandering for human praise, you got one shot in the vicinity of 80 years or so (give or take a few) to enjoy your stint and make it worth your while. Life (and therefore you) is only a waste if you put in no effort to at least reach your happiness low bar.
I find it alarming and telling of a person if they say they need godly reassurance & inspiration, or human groveling to enjoy life. That tells me they have no real drive or willpower to seek anything in life without a reward kick to the ass. Those are the most disappointing people on the planet, wasting their own potential on the what ifs of superstition or "what do I get out of it" gratification.

Celebrities aside, the every day person can be easily forgotten in the short term. Historical figures aside, the every day person can be forgotten in the long term. All manner of recognition considered, everyone will be forgotten over the millennia whether there's records or not. You, the individual, in the grand scheme of the universe, don't matter much. Except to you & yours.

For further perspective, the current approximation is that over 100 billion humans have existed since we came forth. 100 billion. That's a s#load of souls for a single deity to give a rip about all at once. Do you really think one would? That's a lot of damns to give, critical mass would come at some point even for the omnipotent.
edit on 12/21/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Post your thoughts.

IMO, god or no god, your life is meaningless to everyone but you & those you directly impact, so make it something YOU are happy with. Don't bother brown nosing a deity or pandering for human praise, you got one shot in the vicinity of 80 years or so (give or take a few) to enjoy your stint and make it worth your while. Life (and therefore you) is only a waste if you put in no effort to at least reach your happiness low bar.
I find it alarming and telling of a person if they say they need godly reassurance & inspiration, or human groveling to enjoy life. That tells me they have no real drive or willpower to seek anything in life without a reward kick to the ass. Those are the most disappointing people on the planet, wasting their own potential on the what ifs of superstition or "what do I get out of it" gratification.

Celebrities aside, the every day person can be easily forgotten in the short term. Historical figures aside, the every day person can be forgotten in the long term. All manner of recognition considered, everyone will be forgotten over the millennia whether there's records or not. You, the individual, in the grand scheme of the universe, don't matter much. Except to you & yours.

For further perspective, the current approximation is that over 100 billion humans have existed since we came forth. 100 billion. That's a s#load of souls for a single deity to give a rip about all at once. Do you really think one would? That's a lot of damns to give, critical mass would come at some point even for the omnipotent.

Really?

There are 100 bil stars in our galaxy.

I have no idea what limits your God has.

Mine has none. That's why we call Him God.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Really?

Yes, really. If you want to go the extra mile and include all potential intelligent self-aware extraterrertrial life, that number goes even higher for all all intelligent self-aware lifeforms that have ever existed. To assume you ever get any individualized attention and recognition at all is rather self-centered at best.

Let me ask you something. Have you ever acted solely of your own volition in life? Chosen to do something because it gave you a sense of satisfaction? Or did you rationalize with "god's plan, not my problem" or "I'm god's plan, gotta do XYZ!" Would you bother in the first place if there was no god in the equation at all?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

You still haven't justified your existence.

You are just here, taking up space and good O2? You can be replaced by the govt.

You do see what you have been given, right?

Why are you here? Seriously.

No idea?

Make money? Provide for progeny?

Live to the fullest and die like a man?

Why should I or anyone you don't know give a crap about you?

Tell us why?

You have no other purpose than an accident of birth?

And I give a crap, why?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Really?

Yes, really. If you want to go the extra mile and include all potential intelligent self-aware extraterrertrial life, that number goes even higher for all all intelligent self-aware lifeforms that have ever existed. To assume you ever get any individualized attention and recognition at all is rather self-centered at best.

Let me ask you something. Have you ever acted solely of your own volition in life? Chosen to do something because it gave you a sense of satisfaction? Or did you rationalize with "god's plan, not my problem" or "I'm god's plan, gotta do XYZ!" Would you bother in the first place if there was no god in the equation at all?

Sure I have and it mostly ended up badly.

Then again. I didn't blame my Lord. You get to choose this way or that way.

If I knew what was in store for me at the end of my life, I think I would have tried to get there sooner with my choices.

Because girls throw themselves at me because I get better looking everyday, doesn't mean I dump my wife that loves me.

Do you ever say to yourself, "I shouldn't do that?"

Why?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Another thread with people fighting about the existence of God.

God is just so popular this time of year.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

See, that's your idea of God. He/she/they/none is limited to your own hardware.

You science people know jack.

You rip off His work and call it your own.

WTF?!

I get face time. You can too.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst
Another thread with people fighting about the existence of God.

God is just so popular this time of year.

Cheers!

Ask the people at the Mexican fireworks market if God exists.

Big Badda Booms.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join