It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can be fined $250,000 for not calling people ‘ze’ or ‘hir,’ pronouns if they demand

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So people can basically force us on pain of massive legal liability to say what they want us to say, whether or not we want to endorse the political message associated with that term.

But of course “ze” and “Ms./Mrs.” are just examples. We have to use the person’s “preferred … pronoun and title,” whatever those preferences might be. Some people could say they prefer “glugga” just as well as saying “ze”; the whole point is that people are supposed to be free to define their own gender, and their own pronouns and titles. Seems improbable that some people would come up with new terms like that? Well, 10 or 20 years ago it would have seemed pretty improbable that today New Yorkers would be required to call some people “ze.” Check out this list, which already includes “zie,” “sie” (not the German version), “ey,” “ve,” “tey,” “e,” “(f)ae,” “per” and “xe.” Why wouldn’t some creative folks decide they want to add still more?

The NYCHRL [New York City Human Rights Law] requires employers[, landlords, and all businesses and professionals] to use an [employee’s, tenant’s, customer’s, or client’s] preferred name, pronoun and title (e.g., Ms./Mrs.) regardless of the individual’s sex assigned at birth, anatomy, gender, medical history, appearance, or the sex indicated on the individual’s identification.
Most individuals and many transgender people use female or male pronouns and titles. Some transgender and gender non-conforming people prefer to use pronouns other than he/him/his or she/her/hers, such as they/them/theirs or ze/hir. [Footnote: Ze and hir are popular gender-free pronouns preferred by some transgender and/or gender non-conforming individuals.] …

Source
edit on 5-12-2016 by omniEther because: (no reason given)

+26 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm not gonna bother learning all that.

He or she from me.

+38 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
"Hey you" works for everybody.

2nd.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Oi works most of the time.

+28 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I prefer the highly interchangeable, 'Yo, jackass!'.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Oi works most of the time.

You wot, mate?

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You can call me Lord Pirhanna. I demand it!

These folks wont get a damned thing from me. Be prepared to be called "it" if you try to force some dumb speech thing on me.

Oi!
edit on 5-12-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: omniEther

you can call me by my prefered title. Mungus, Hugh Mungus

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
"Hey you" works for everybody.

2nd.

How do you respond to that on the job?
"Hey you" instead of Sir or Officer...

edit on 5-12-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
To me this is a whole bunch of crap, I am from the old school so I will not give two rat arses what they want, is what I see.

Male or female and that is all to it.

Don't like it I don't give a crap.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
I'm not gonna bother learning all that.

He or she from me.

Or it. If someone wants to get all in my face for saying he or she, I will call them 'it'.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'm sure this is going to come up all the time, because, like 50% of the population wants to be referred to as ze or hir.

I'd be willing to bet you could go through your whole life in NYC and never have a situation come up like this.

Another one of those dumb arguments that is a thinly veiled attack on transgender people.

Just like the dumb arguments against the legalization of same-sex marriage: "If we let gays marry, we'll have to let people marry their dog, or their toaster, or the Eiffel Tower!"

+10 more 
link   
If I saw a Tranny as a courtesy I would call her she but the second anyone demanded or even asked me to call them some nonsensical made up term id just call them "F*** off moron" and move away, I try to spend as little time around crazy people as possible
edit on 5/12/2016 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

link   
Here is how it works for me:

If you have a penis, I'll call you sir.

If you have a vagina, I'll call you mam.

It doesn't matter to me when you got your penis or vagina, only what sexual organs you have in the moment that I am addressing you.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
Here is how it works for me:

If you have a penis, I'll call you sir.

If you have a vagina, I'll call you mam.

It doesn't matter to me when you got your penis or vagina, only what sexual organs you have in the moment that I am addressing you.

You gonna demand to look in everyone's underwear? Dude, I think there might be a law against that.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Hey if you miss the target, "penis or vagina" I guess you can always say, "sorry I can to tell what the hell you are".

edit on 5-12-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I thought this would be a post from another country, but nope. It's the good ol US of A.

With that said, my preferred pronoun is she/her.

And I fully expect to be addressed by my title: Lovebeck Queen of Awesomeness.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Funny I am call spicy latina in my favorite Starbucks.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
I thought this would be a post from another country, but nope. It's the good ol US of A.

With that said, my preferred pronoun is she/her.

And I fully expect to be addressed by my title: Lovebeck Queen of Awesomeness.

Gonna have to shorten that to Lqua.

It sounds exotic

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: kaylaluv

Hey if you miss the target, "penis or vagina" I guess you can always say, "sorry I can to tell what the hell you are".

Or here's a thought: you could politely ask. To hell with manners, though, right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join