It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can be fined $250,000 for not calling people ‘ze’ or ‘hir,’ pronouns if they demand

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Why make it so complicated? I am as welcoming as anyone on this topic, but really. If I ever am in this situation, I think I will simply refer to the person as "Sapien < Last Name >". If they are identifying as anything other than Homo Sapien, then they have no expectation of common human courtesy from me.

SMH

edit on 12/5/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: omniEther

Has a penis - bloke.
Has a vagina - Sheila.

Questions?

Ze can take zor Xi/Zoi namez and shove them where the sun don't shine.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: omniEther
Fortunately for me, I don't live in New York City. I don't even want to visit.

link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Is call freedom of expression.

link   
I don't see anyting wrong with someone asking you to call them by "ze" or something. I read an article recently about trasgenders and he described how on one day he brokedown emotionally after being called "her" several times. Now, this is going to happen since it was a random place and nobody knew he was undergroing work to change his body. But if somebody repeatedly calls you by the wrong pronoun or doesn't listen to you? That's harassment or something similar. And that could fall under a hate crime.

What I'm against is prosecution being too quickly handed out. If somebody doesn't know you and uses the wrong pronoun? That's ok. If they only just leanred about it from someone else and inadvertently forgot? That's ok too. People DO forget. IF the law leaves no room for mistakes then I'm against it. People aren't machines. We're flawed. We can't mind read either.
edit on 12/5/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Horsehockey!! Grow a pair (back) if needed. Perhaps if nobody simply spoke to someone that demands this they it will be considered some sort of harassment too??

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I think I am about to breakdown too for been insisted to bend over for a small group in this nation.

how about that, all my suffering and piece of mind I am about to cry, I am confuse and can not tell he for she and viceversa because this darn new generation can not make their mind on what they want to be.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I'm sure this is going to come up all the time, because, like 50% of the population wants to be referred to as ze or hir.

I'd be willing to bet you could go through your whole life in NYC and never have a situation come up like this.

Another one of those dumb arguments that is a thinly veiled attack on transgender people.

Just like the dumb arguments against the legalization of same-sex marriage: "If we let gays marry, we'll have to let people marry their dog, or their toaster, or the Eiffel Tower!"

Seriously? 50% of the population wants to be called ze or hir? I've never met anyone in my entire life that wants to be called that. Not saying that there isn't people who want to be called ze or hir, but come on.

link   
State compelled speech.

This country is unrecognizable.

link   

You gonna demand to look in everyone's underwear? Dude, I think there might be a law against that.

I shouldn't have to.

If you were a man that transitioned into a female, meaning you now have a vagina, wouldn't you be dressing like a woman?

If you're a drag queen you get called mam as well.

edit on 12/5/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I really think it has to do with people deliberately and knowingly using the wrong pronoun in order to bully someone, and it needs to happen multiple times for there to be any case. Someone forgetting once and apologizing for it won't have a problem.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I prefer Doctor/Professor. Even though im neither lol.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Some transgender people transition in every way except for the sexual reassignment surgery. They may take hormones, and they may have breast implants, but don't change anything "down there".

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
I read an article recently about trasgenders and he described how on one day he brokedown emotionally after being called "her" several times.

Being trans sucks, it's a difficult life. No amount of wordplay is gonna change that.

All you're gonna do with these word games is make people more uncomfortable around the trans folk, which in turns make it harder for the trans folk.

These word games are just to make "progressives" feel better about themselves at the cost of those they claim to help.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
I prefer Doctor/Professor. Even though im neither lol.

I am partial to flight commander, or perhaps your highnes.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Then that isn't really a legit transition? Is it?

Drag queens don't tell people they've 'transitioned' because they dress up like women.

If you're going to say you've 'transitioned' it should imply that you've had the reassignment surgery. If they haven't then they are just confusing people and making it harder for society to accept trans folk.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I considered this some years ago as it relates to correspondence or invoicing at work. I no longer use anything other than the full name and have done for maybe ten years. It just makes sense.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: jonnywhite
I read an article recently about trasgenders and he described how on one day he brokedown emotionally after being called "her" several times.

Being trans sucks, it's a difficult life. No amount of wordplay is gonna change that.

All you're gonna do with these word games is make people more uncomfortable around the trans folk, which in turns make it harder for the trans folk.

These word games are just to make "progressives" feel better about themselves at the cost of those they claim to help.

I am not homophobic or trans anything. People are people, making others conform is a losing proposition. Where lesbians are involved, I would like to watch sometime. Is that ok? I'll call them her, if it helps.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Hey if you miss the target, "penis or vagina" I guess you can always say, "sorry I can to tell what the hell you are".

Or here's a thought: you could politely ask. To hell with manners, though, right?

Sure comes up all the time when I meet new people. First thing I ask is do you have a penis or a vagina.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

How is it confusing people? If they live in every way as a female, you would not know they had a penis unless you looked in their underwear.

Drag queens may or may not live in every way as a female. Most just dress up sometimes and the rest of the time live as the other gender. Drag queens are not the issue here.

If they tell you they are female, and they have a female name and they dress as a female all the time, it would be gracious to refer to them as female. You don't need to know whether they have their original plumbing or not. Some are waiting for the right time to have the surgery, some are afraid of having the surgery, some are content with living as a female in every other way. It's really none of your business what they have in their underwear. If they tell you they are female, and they have a female name, and they dress as a female all the time, refer to them a female.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join