It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Oliver to Trump: Drop Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: thinline exactly! Why don't each of us start a threat to demand that the candidate we don't like drop out! It would mean just as much as what John Oliver is requesting.

Not really. Their is a thing called the "John Oliver effect" You should look into the effect he has on the FCC creating net neutrality rules and declaring broadband internet as public service. You might want to even thank him. Courts have sited his show in rulings, Congress has credited him with getting bills passed, And this segment on Trump Donald Trump: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Is HBOs most watched segment in history with 28 million views on You Tube and over 62 million views on Facebook.

So he does have a bit more indfluence than each of us.

Ironically he met his wife at the GOP convention in 2008 where she as an Iraq War Veteran as a part of the Vets for Freedom a right wind vets group.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Wow.

Since 1938, I've wondered exactly how the German people could have so widely supported an obviously unhinged and thoroughly dangerous demagogue.

Even with the availability of the internet and the instant research opportunities it offers, there are people who are bound and determined not to look at the evidence, to interpret any commentary against their candidate as bigotry and knee-jerk opposition.

While I'm quite sure your candidate won't win since by every metric, he's tanking in the polls and is a laughingstock when he's not the object of fevered pleadings by his own party to simply 'act like an adult', the possibility that so many adults of voting age are taking their responsibilities to learn about ALL the available candidates, from ALL angles, so casually, like it's a football game their team should automatically win, because USA,USA! is horrifying.

I guess every generation has to learn this one for themselves.

Too bad you've never run across the saying 'those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.'

Prepare to bury your dead. It might be more difficult this time, since given the kind of wars THIS GUY can start, Global Thermonuclear War is not out of the question. And all you testosterone-soaked 20 somethings that are pushing this guy? You planning on being drafted if Donny says so? Do you know the term 'cannon fodder'?

And Hillary's no better, but for different reasons.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

What's you point exactly??

That the term doesn't fit.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Too bad you've never run across the saying 'those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.'

I have. The phrase is from philosopher George Santayana "The Life of Reason". When he used it, he was referring to an individual's personal history, and not history in general. Too bad you've never run across it, and have been using it wrong this whole time.
edit on 22-8-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So ignore it and answer the rest of it then.

Where is it written that he must be tolerant toward everyone???

Trump wouldn't tolerate him anymore than he tolerates Trump.

People here don't tolerate John anymore than he'd tolerate them.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It strikes one ,how EACH side is so DESPERATE to convince the other about Hillary.
ONE is suspected of being capable of causing great damage,based on his Rhetoric,The other has threatened NATIONAL SECURITY,with her choices....

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Where is it written that he must be tolerant toward everyone???

Trump wouldn't tolerate him anymore than he tolerates Trump.

People here don't tolerate John anymore than he'd tolerate them.

Nowhere.

I'm only saying that to use the phrase, while at the same time being intolerant of someone's views, is hypocrisy. But ignore that.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I have the personal IDEA, they are easy victims from those who HAVE.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

To use what phrase??

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

To use what phrase??

I meant "word".

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well, for me, John Oliver is so left leaning he could cart wheel.

For example, he could make me look like Hitler.
And I hate Hitler.

But one thing I've noticed, is that John just isn't really that funny anymore.

When he was in the UK his schtick, while similar, was a lot less dumbed down.

I still watch his show sporadically, because I think it's fresh.
But I rarely laugh.

More to round up my week on all things US nowadays.

No, Trump shouldn't drop out.
That's a desperate ask.

Let him lose, or win, with grace.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

LOLOLOL

Ok. What word???

You can be so difficult sometimes.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

LOLOLOL

Ok. What word???

You can be so difficult sometimes.

Bigotry, m0j0m.

The word he used is bigotry.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

LOLOLOL

Ok. What word???

You can be so difficult sometimes

The word I've been talking about the whole time. The word I defined from the dictionary in my post. And you call me difficult?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Here os an example of bigotry and xenophobia.

Remember that time Trump resaerched Oliver's ancestry and discovered his ancesteral name was actually Herr Zoliverph?

Trump thought it sounded scary and foreign and reminiscent of dark shifty german stereotypes so he insisted on calling Oliver "Zoloverph" from then on.

I doubt we've ever agreed.

But spot on.
First time for everything I guess.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Thank you.....

I'm not sure if I even remember why I was asking now though.

But thank you.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Thank you.....

I'm not sure if I even remember why I was asking now though.

But thank you.

No problems, matey.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

I have. The phrase is from philosopher George Santayana "The Life of Reason". When he used it, he was referring to an individual's personal history, and not history in general. Too bad you've never run across it, and have been using it wrong this whole time.

Works both ways, does it not?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
So are you saying that since John labeled Trump a Bigot he's then obligated to agree with him or be called a bigot himself??? Or a hypocrite more specifically???

edit on 22-8-2016 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: thinline exactly! Why don't each of us start a threat to demand that the candidate we don't like drop out! It would mean just as much as what John Oliver is requesting.

Not really. Their is a thing called the "John Oliver effect" You should look into the effect he has on the FCC creating net neutrality rules and declaring broadband internet as public service. You might want to even thank him. Courts have sited his show in rulings, Congress has credited him with getting bills passed, And this segment on Trump Donald Trump: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Is HBOs most watched segment in history with 28 million views on You Tube and over 62 million views on Facebook.

So he does have a bit more indfluence than each of us.

Ironically he met his wife at the GOP convention in 2008 where she as an Iraq War Veteran as a part of the Vets for Freedom a right wind vets group.

Never seen the show and he's not a US citizen. Do not care. Trump is going up in the polls this weeks. Still a ways to go to slice into her but it's happening. Waiting for the 50cal. leaks to send her into a death spiral.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join