It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study of Tongues in the New Testament

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: UnifiedSerenity

I am aware of all that, including the wording of the text.

…7In wonder and amazement, they asked, “Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8How is it then that each of us hears them in his own native language?

How would the author of Acts know the exact words used by the crowds?

It seems reasonable to me that the author is placing in the mouths of the crowds what seemed amazing to himself as he wrote up the account.

The Hellenized World was huge, I don't know how far spread the Septuagint actually was, that would be the limiting factor. However, not all heard them using intelligible speech, "they're drunk?" perhaps those who only knew Aramaic.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypicalSee
god is not the author of confusion and everything should be done decently and in order. We allow a time after the teaching for the exercising of spiritual gifts there I have seen and heard tongues being used.

I have a hard time believing that the Holy Ghost would interrupt the teaching that was inspired by the Holy Ghost to give something new from what he already knew was going on.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

The passage says what happened. You seem to want to look for every excuse to discount it. My answer is the understood some of those other languages, and saw what was happening as the people marveled.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: UnifiedSerenity

Not every excuse; the second excuse was an amplification of my first excuse.

But this thread isn't particularly dealing with the subject of inerrancy of each and every word in the book of Acts, so, I'll just leave it at that.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: NOTurTypicalSee
god is not the author of confusion and everything should be done decently and in order. We allow a time after the teaching for the exercising of spiritual gifts there I have seen and heard tongues being used.

I have a hard time believing that the Holy Ghost would interrupt the teaching that was inspired by the Holy Ghost to give something new from what he already knew was going on.

He surely does, and our pastor just waits quietly for the interpretation. And it came from someone else on the other side of the room. Pastor knew if the tongue interrupted the service an interpretation would be right after. And it wasn't the preaching of the word that was interrupted, it was right after the last worship song was finished. That's the vivid one I recall happening.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

in that case it seems it may be alright. I have seen it happen at the end of service

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

it was right after the last worship song was finished. That's the vivid one I recall happening.

Back in 1972-1973 I hung out in a Christian coffee shop, in the basement of a church. Featured live music, tongues all over, no interpretation, just individuals in the vibe(spirit?).

Not going to mention any names because last I heard the individual still has a thriving ministry. So this professional blows through, gets a special time slot for healing ministry, after which Afterglow, he goes off in tongues, and a seeming random woman gives the interpretation. After the Afterglow, they left in the same car. Just a little suspicious.

I had an uncle back then who knew a lot of tricks. I told him about the "healings" and he showed me how it can be done.

So, yeah. Thing is, a miracle is a miracle because it's a one time thing. If it's easily repeatable than it's magic, and in some cases sleight of hand illusion.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hello fellow Christians. I would like to share my testimony of tongues for those who would like to read it anyways.

I grew up in the faith and could always speak in tongues. But growing up I never really understood this speaking and thought it was to different. As I grew older I now consider myself a child of the Most high because of my Lord and Savior but I ended up going to a church that was always doing tongue speaking(Pentecostal). As I studied the scripture it seemed to me that the tongue speaking was a miracle gift in that you would speak literally another language. So that the people who speak the other language can understand you. This is what I then thought to be as truly speaking in tongues and thought it was strange how churches were doing it with just the 'noise' speaking. I thought they were just choosing the sounds that they wanted and not the Holy Spirit really doing this. But as well I thought maybe some where and was not sure. As I then thought it was just a gift for them and my gifts were just different. Because I just did not understand it.

Eventually I saw videos on tongue speaking and heard from some of them, call it the perfect prayer. Because no one can understand your personal prayer to God and not even the demons or devils. So a couple of days of prayer about this I asked my LORD Jesus. Jesus if this prayer is truly from you then allow the Holy Spirit to take complete control over me and have me do this. For I had told myself unless this happens I will not pray in tongues.

So one night I fell asleep and then soon afterwards I woke up automatically and I was just sputtering noises!!! I literally lost my free will and it took control of me. It was incredible. The next more on watching another video on it Cor 14:2 verse was mentioned. After reading that verse, I was like why have I never seen that verse before. I know I must have read it before but it just didn't jump out to me. Anyways before this miracle of possession of the Holy Spirit. I always thought this gift was not for me but I'm not one of those Christians that say you are not saved if you do not do it. Any pastor who says that is incorrect in my understanding of it. Though I must say I did feel out of place at times, when I was not doing it. Like it was a them or me type of mentality, when they would celebrate it with the ones that started doing prayers in tongues. But at the same time it's not like I spoke to them about my dilemma and I wanted to figure this out on my own. Either way it turned out well for me. It truly is an incredible gift from the Lord.

And even with my testimony if you still think it is not for you don't worry. There are many other blessing gifts like dream warnings, visions, revelations, protection, guiding, etc etc. God will not abandon his children even if we die. We are protected by resurrection into everlasting life!!!

Put all your trust, confidence, and hope in Jesus Christ! Peace to you all.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Created

I can only say this,

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1 Corinthians 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.
1 Corinthians 14:16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
1 Corinthians 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

So if you are by yourself then it is well and permitted, but if in the church assembly there must be an interpretation if there is none then it is not to be done in the assembly.

edit on 21-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Reading, was not a silent activity until much later than 1 Corinthians was written. All reading was out loud.

If one were reading a sacred text, then that could be viewed as a matter between the reader and the god, if the person were alone, or if someone were reading a Greek text in front of non-Greek speakers.

Reading_(process) History
Scholars assume that reading aloud (Latin clare legere) was the more common practice in antiquity, and that reading silently (legere tacite or legere sibi) was unusual.[42] In his Confessions, Saint Augustine remarks on Saint Ambrose's unusual habit of reading silently in the 4th century AD.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That is called prophecy or speaking forth the word of God.

I don't trust anything that starts with Scholars assume (that is they guess or opinionate it is not fact).

Secondly the letter were written and they were both read silently to one another and out load. And copies of these letters were made and remade to where people were able to have a collection of letter as well as copies of the OT.

I agree that greek and non-greek would have a hard time understanding another language without an interpreter. my beef is with todays unknown tongue that not only is not another language but is un-interpretable gibberish.

I was turning through the tv one night and came across one guy say over and over on TBN Hubba bubba. I thought hew must be looking at the pretty girl in t he front row.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I was turning through the tv one night and came across one guy say over and over on TBN Hubba bubba. I thought hew must be looking at the pretty girl in t he front row.

Maybe not a pretty girl.

Bubba
Because of its association with the southern part of the United States, bubba is also often used outside the South as a pejorative to mean a person of low economic status and limited education. Bubba may also be taken to mean one who is a "good ol' boy." In the US Army and Marines, bubba can mean a lay soldier, similar to "grunt", but with connotations of endearment instead of derision (e.g., "Can you make that device easier to work with, 'cus every bubba is gonna have to use it.").

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: pthenathe term hubba bubba was used when referring to a good looking woman in the 40's and 50's. Later became tomatoe, fox, now sexy.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Lol, a tomato? 😆

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
You seem to have a good understanding of tongues and the proper use. I am glad for believers llike you. I would like to remind you that in 1COR13 when perfection is come that which is in part shall be done away with. Now abideth these 3: faith, hope and love/charity; and the GREATEST of these is love/charity. I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ for it is the power of salvation to them that believe. Side Note: All you scoffers and unbelievers are nothing but a heap of lemmings waiting to jump off the edge of a cliff. Don't knock it until you've first tried it. Steven S. reply to: intrptr

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SeedofYah9

Hi, Stephen S. Thanks for the reply...

ummm, welcome to ATS?

Just FYI, not really wise to give too much personal information.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
This is actually a human thing, more than anything else. You're a mother. How many times did one of your children say something when they were little, and to everyone else it sounded like gibberish, but to you it was plain as day what that baby was saying?

The idea of tongues is less of a biblical phenomena, and more of a heart/subconscious phenomena. It's the language of the heart that can't be spoken with intelligible words, but can only be uttered in sounds that vaguely express what is being felt. To the credit of the biblical writers, and others throughout history, they understood the marriage of thought and emotion as a coherent communication that was beyond words, yet was still understandable by others on a level the conscious mind was unable to grasp. The fact that it is hidden in plain sight in the bible is a testament to the bible's metaphysical and gnostic foundations, and should be read from that perspective. IMHO.

Try listening to FM stations from across the world using Internet radio. They maybe in a different language but you can tell when something is a news report, an interview, a chat or a telephone caller.
That's just from the tone, pitch and speed of talking.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Tongues are a symbol of speech or actual languages.

The forked Tongue of fire are forked because they are serpentine representing higher and lower wisdom.

See James.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The tongue brings happiness and sadness.

Enigmatically they both make you cry.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Oh that is sick!!!!

I have to give you a star n that one.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join