It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grown adults obsessing over videogames, comics, superheroes annoy me!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: secretboss

Possibly worth keeping in mind that it takes all sorts to make the world go round.

Just because you fail to fathom the logic behind there actions does not mean its somehow wrong.

Keeping in mind most adult males(myself included) of any and all ages are essentially big kids at heart.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I do not see any problem . My wife and I shoot with our kids, we fish with them, we play Pokemon Go/Overwatch (fun kicking their butts sometimes) with them. Nothing wrong with it. Other parents look at us strange, but I can bet we have a closer bond with our kids than many parents do.
edit on 13-7-2016 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Boooooo

I go balls to the walls when the old lady aint home.

Party on Garth!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I work my ass off every day and I buy myself a collectible (action figure or whatever) once every couple of months. I also play video games and am expecting a child.

Oh yeah did I mention I work every day ? I don't see what makes you so keen on judging someone else's choices regarding what they buy themselves with their hard earned money.
edit on 13-7-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Many use these things you are complaining about as something to fill a hole in their life, or simply because it is something they enjoy.

The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked and did the same thing. In fact, I'm very happy that there are "grown men" out there that still enjoy playing video/computer games, reading comic books, and being excited about superhero movies.

The world would be a extremely drab and weary place if instead all they did was calculate spread sheets, read books by James A. Michener, and watched nothing but docus.

So as one of the grown men that does these things you're ranting about (and I'm almost 50.....omg, guess the world is going to end for you), the cool thing is: I'm able to talk to my kids and grandkids about these things....and know and understand what they are talking about.
All my cub scouts that I teach, I'm able to get on their level, and they have a blast. Why? Why because I can actually talk to them about things that they are interested in.

As for any that look down their nose at me.......pppppppt. Like I really care.

Now excuse me, I've got some more Fallout 4 to play, and am super excited while waiting for the Vault-Tec DLC to finally get here. That and Mass Effect 4 (which my wife is also waiting on......and is playing Fallout Shelter, Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas while waiting...and she's 46, and goes crazy over X-Men and Avengers movies.....)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I have to go along with you boss. I marvel (get it?) at the huge amounts of money that are tossed about in this entertainment culture on comic book heroes. One might even suspect that it is part of a plan. A plan to keep people in a childish or juvenile mental structure.

Now I do not know as this is true though I do think it worth considering. I enjoyed my comics when I was young and absolutely thrilled to the first modern big screen Superman. Then the second one too. But I knew it was the child in me that was being held captive by these big screen treats and not my adult self.

I have no problem with tickling our childhood fantasies once in a while but this over the top inundation of comic book and video game stream of consciousness is concerning to me. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to suck billions of dollars from peoples pockets by feeding back to them versions of their childhood dreams has left a bad stench in my mind. Making movies out of goofy little TV shows that were designed to placate infants is just mind boggling to me. And video games. Block buster movies based on simple video games.

It may be that people are being held in thrall to that which they already know. Just make it bigger and flashier and more violent and their development as maturing adults will be held in check. Or maybe it is the other way around, that for too many people, growing up is not in the cards at all. Maybe they have reached their limits of growth and will rely on the thinking and appreciation of their childhood selves through out their lives.

And now this new Pokeman bit that is said to be sweeping the nation. I am a loss other than to think of it as the " eloi-ifaction " of the population.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
And now having gone back and read the replies to your rant I can understand another point. That there is little else in this culture to entice people. Hard work and major responsibilities and people want only a little time to just forget about it and spin off into fantasyland. I get it.

Another thing I noticed in the replies. How so many defend their 'individual' choices for happiness. And while I am in agreement with individuals having their own 'tastes' , it is not the individual tastes that you are talking about here. It is the larger social and cultural trend that is disconcerting. Those things that people have to 'choose from' that seems to be more and more limited in it's scope.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
hmmm well thats funny.

Im 33 and play video games. I also get to fly a drone for a living...and make pretty good money doing so.
Also I have 3 kids and am married.
I wonder what my wife would rather me be doing, sitting in the bar on a friday night. Or home playing video games with the kids.

I quit drinking years back, so playing video games is my release.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

The social and cultural trend?

All the OP presented was what seems like a super-personal, whiney post that effected zero change, It wasn't something like..."I am bothered by all these adult men playing PGO because I am worried society may be missing fathers...or art...or something."

All OP did was whiny post about what people do with their free time. It comes off as exceptionally childish. He said "waaaa people are doing something odd and weird that I don't like."

Where did you get that OP was making a grand statement about danger to society? His examples were three personal ones.

Either way, why does OP care that much? PGO is not killing culture or art. I still go to the museums and they are chocked full of extraordinary art, fossils, scientific experiments, film, movies, music, etc.

People have really got to leave other things alone. Like I said, if the person is driving and playing, then absolutely! Call the police! That person is going to kill someone...

Otherwise, if nobody is being harmed, I am almost jealous of OP that he has so much time and energy to worry about such a tiny issue

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
57 YO who loves playing. Lets me back on the field again.
Get some of the same rush as when i was playing soccer for real. Gooooooal.
Then i turn it off and get back to the real world.

Try it you will like it.
edit on 7ffWednesday12201607America/Chicago by nfflhome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Google "Bronies" if you want to see some weird stuff. It is straight, adult men who obsess with my little pony, dressing up all flamboyant. I think this kind of thing is being done on purpose. Make a generation of men who act like girls and tptb wont have to worry about resistance from a population of sissies.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 13-7-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Right. Having gone back and re-read the OP I can understand how so many are taking it as only a personal dislike on OPs part. Even so, for me at least, the overall cultural trend was implicit in the OP, and one that whether or not it is the larger sense of things on the part of the OP, it is still one that I find interesting.

I for one have to wonder at the repeating cycle of information presented to the public as entertainment.
For me, one of the most threatening assaults on people's individuality is the onslaught of entertainment on or conscousnesses. That though we may be thinking of ourselves as individuals, thinking that we have a mind of our own, how much OF that individuality is really just a reflection of this larger culture in which we not only live but have been formed from infancy to be part of.

So while one person may think of themselves as autonomous, are they really, am I, really. I take these thoughts about individual development and hold them up to developing social and cultural trends and can see a real possibility that we are all being held from more fully developing our own individual maturity by the almost remedial nature of our entertainments.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Finding your inner child would probably do you a lot of good.

I'm married, 4 kids, pushing 50 at this point. We play board games, video games as a family. We watch movies and just act like children in general around our house.

It's good of us, it works for us, everybody is happy and the best thing is it doesn't affect us in any kind of negative way, at all.

So, to each his own my friend. The whole 'age roles' thing doesn't work in the 21st century.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is funny, folks with children should have grown out of childhood glee at games and the like and focus on raising their own children since of joy and peace about things that are fun and what not..why be a big kid when there are little ones that need a childhood?..guidance and attention, too?
Not that I hate playing video games or reading comics, myself... everyone has inner child and inner grown up too... moderation and balance?
A man with batman shirt..lol! I'll buy a wonderwoman tee-shirt and maybe make someone in public all bent out of shape... they will be all, ''your too old for that!'' okay so a tie and jacket?... great rant.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You have your view of how men should be, but that's all it is, your view. Other people are going to live their lives how they want. Everyone is different and are part of different subcultures. My advice is to try and get over it. Do you feel that these video game loving men are hurting anyone? Even though you don't get it and can't understand it, you can understand that people have interests and passions other than what you approve of.

There is way more to life than doing "man stuff". Although, I think that a lot of these gamers do, what you call manly activities, as well.

I'm an adult and I get very excited about all things Fallout. Right now, I am wearing a Mortal Kombat shirt. Yesterday, I saw a 30-something man walking across a bridge wearing a Batman shirt and it made me happy. In my head I was like, "That guy's alright".

You mention that men should be "working out at the gym". Believe it or not, some people want to spend their life enjoying the pursuits of the mind, rather than sweating away in some stinky gym. So what?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I think the OP is neglecting his inner child & is upset that other people embrace theirs.
The OP is also dismissive of people who have healthy obsessions. My sister has an obsessive personality and when she puts her mind to something my god she sees it to completion. Is that a bad thing?

Loving your inner child and letting it come out from time to time is healthy and I find it quite endearing also.
The Chewbacca Mom is a classic example of someone letting their inner child come out. Do I think that she is like that all the time? Of course not, I'm sure she acts mature in other circumstances, when required, but I don't look down upon her just because she lets her inner child come out from time to time.

You see it in the animal kingdom as well, regardless of age they still have that child like wonder and sense of fun.
Here's a perfect example.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

You sound like a huge stick in the mud. I want you to know that I play Street Fighter V competitively. I enjoy it immensely. I'm 31 and have sunk over 100 hours into the game. I love comic book heroes and comic book movies. I enjoy anime and manga. Hell I used to play World of Warcraft near religiously when I was in the Army. I am a geek through and through.

Sorry that you lost your sense of wonder and imagination when you grew up, but stop trying to pigeon hole other people's likes and dislikes.
edit on 13-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Sometimes it is just nostalgia thing ya know?

Ohh on that note am 35 and have a console gaming wall with 4 flat screens, Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Game Cube, PS1, PS2, PS3, 3 XBox 360, Xbox One Between them all probably over 1000 games. My wife and I play, my kids play, hell we even through parties to do console link and play tournaments. Ohh and Batman Rocks!
edit on 13-7-2016 by sycomix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I would rather have people addicted to video games and superheros than have them out raping and murdering.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
And now having gone back and read the replies to your rant I can understand another point. That there is little else in this culture to entice people. Hard work and major responsibilities and people want only a little time to just forget about it and spin off into fantasyland. I get it.

Another thing I noticed in the replies. How so many defend their 'individual' choices for happiness. And while I am in agreement with individuals having their own 'tastes' , it is not the individual tastes that you are talking about here. It is the larger social and cultural trend that is disconcerting. Those things that people have to 'choose from' that seems to be more and more limited in it's scope.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here, but there is more to do and occupy your free time today than at any other point in history. The choices aren't narrower... They are broader. MUCH broader, and they grow broader with every passing year.
edit on 13-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join