It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grown adults obsessing over videogames, comics, superheroes annoy me!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

We had a Wii-U but that thing sucked so we ditched it

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: secretboss

Looks at avatar.

Considers that she and husband just bought his/hers "OMG, R2-D2 I loved him in Star Trek" tees with a dalek on it ...

I may not be the best person to ask about why some of us enjoy our geekery.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
To each their own. I don't get it but I won't bash it. It's entertainment just like an NFL game, the Olympics or a concert.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well while everyone is ranting over video games and what not.. I want you guys to know. I'm thirsty and 5 o'clock is still far off
can someone teach me time travel?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
They sing songs from Space Jam

I wasn't aware there was a fan base for this

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm sorry you feel that way and that you let it annoy you so much for some reason.

I'm one of the people you describe, but I fit both categories. Should I give one up? Should I sell my collection of comics/superman paraphernalia now to buy a gym membership where I can prance around in front of people showing them how strong I am? Or should I continue collecting and then sell it when I retire and have a nice nest egg? I have comics and collectibles worth a lot that I didn't pay much for, what's the gym membership/power tools going to provide me with?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Nice response...I feel I got a bit heated for a moment. Sorry there

Well that's an interesting question that deserves attention.

Are we individual. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you even included yourself in your inquiry. Damn that is attentive and introspective. A hundred stars just for that alone.

So I guess my counter questions would be these...

Is ANYONE free from a lack of autonomy? Are we all, on each side, just products of who we group around? I would even then ask OP, "if you believe a culture is fading or changing negatively, then how can you assure yourself that your visions of culture are appropriate?" I would want to know whether or not OP thinks that culture should be conserved and static. I would want to know if OP really wants us all to be part of what he wants as a culture. I, for one, won't accept that as an individual.

Funny...your question REALLY makes me want to do a rant or thoughtful post regarding individuality....you really made me pause here and I like you for that

At what point are we actually an individual? I know we all have tiny collections of unique factors that make us an individual whole....but to what extent?

I can say, "I am so unique....I LOVE anime" Well...that's not that unique....tens of millions of people love anime. I have to ask is anyone truly unique anymore?

Damn I am twirling into a hole...let me finish my point

I've already expressed that I can't stand his individual issue with what other people do. So let me relate to the larger question. If OP was really asking a question of culture, that I would say I still disagree. Because I am not sure I want to live in a culture where all men act as one and all women act as one, and we tell our children that at 18, they put away toys and pick up their oven mitts or tool belts.

Thanks for a great response

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm challenging myself to a video game for the next five years, its tuff, but actually you learn a lot... and in'm almost over the hill according to the media
After work, just me no. Kids..I deserve to play a video game, if I had human children, then they could play my game and ask questions about it.
Good for the whole family, in my opinion, of course..we all must get outside and smell the rain on it's way... smell the plants and flowers.
Note . Sure if I follow rant?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

When the Wii came out, it ended up breaking records for casual players. The Wii Fit game went on to sell to people who traditionally never bought video games. Including older people.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
The Wii Fit game went on to sell to people who traditionally never bought video games. Including older people.

Those old people probably went out and bought Batman shirts too due to this.

The Adam West style ones.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
You know it!

edit on 13-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t there are still places for traditional, WII... maybe I send open letter to public. About the health benefits.... it is fun...I like a baseball game... since the streets and roads where old and young once played outside, are. Clogged with vehicles.
In response to post, thank. You. Too much sunlight outdoors, good for video game day.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
My family has always used games to keep the generation gap small. My grandparents played games with us right up until their last years of life. We all played from the youngest to the eldest.

We still do.

I just got Superfight in the mail. I bought it specifically because it's a game everyone from my son to my parents (and everyone in between) ought to be able to sit a round the table and play in some fashion. But the OP would likely disdain it because it involves an element of geekery because it revolves around the geeky concept of two characters duking it out in a fight and the table voting in which one they think would win.

I think the other day I had a match that involved 100 K-Pop Stars who had to scream out their fighting moves before they made them v. a 100 ft. tall blob on stlts.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to: SteamyJeans

I bet you are a real hoot at dinner parties...

I wager you burned ants with a magnifying glass in your youth..

Some people enjoy silly things..

Who cares...

Who is harmed?

These people are enjoying themselves..

Who are you to judge why would u care enough to post this?

Inquiring minds want to know

~meathead

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Ignore the haters OP. I'm right there with you.

The phenomenon you refer to is merely a symptom of a larger problem - cultural decay and the destabilization of the modern family. Put Mom to work and give Dad lots of toys. Throw in Hollywood and over-consumption. There's tons of info out there about it but, sadly, even on a conspiracy site no one want s to hear it. It cuts too close to home.

It would force people to accept hard truths about themselves and the state of the world. It's much easier and convenient to deride you and feign outrage, like you just don't get it. They can't even see that the serious problems the U.S. and the World faces today is as a direct result of a plan set in motion decades ago. Their juvenile fetishes, cosplay and captivation by Hollywood are just one part of it.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JetBlackStare

Ignore the haters OP. I'm right there with you.

The phenomenon you refer to is merely a symptom of a larger problem - cultural decay and the destabilization of the modern family. Put Mom to work and give Dad lots of toys. Throw in Hollywood and over-consumption. There's tons of info out there about it but, sadly, even on a conspiracy site no one want s to hear it. It cuts too close to home.

It would force people to accept hard truths about themselves and the state of the world. It's much easier and convenient to deride you and feign outrage, like you just don't get it. They can't even see that the serious problems the U.S. and the World faces today is as a direct result of a plan set in motion decades ago. Their juvenile fetishes, cosplay and captivation by Hollywood are just one part of it.

What utter tripe.

I hunt, camp, fish, snowboard avidly and used to be an auto mechanic. And yes, i play video games.

No one forces anyone to play video games, drool over the Kardashians or become a bronie. I find it laughable you think it all a conspiracy that was set up 'decades ago'. Is called consumerism, and if people want something, someone will provide it.

What is it you suggest was done to feminize or make grown men children? Don't be so vague, I'd like to hear your grand conspiracy.

I for one am happy people have more outlets in todays day and age. I don't watch TV, but i don't begrudge someone who does. As a libertarian, i beleive we should all decide for ourselves how we want to live out our lives, and I'll be damned if anyone tells me i can't play Skyrim. The government has too much control over us as is.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JetBlackStare

It's a hobby. One of many. I also happen to enjoy crochet, fishing, aquariums, football and cooking among others.

My geeky side kept me out of the bars every weekend when I was in college. It kept me from attending the barn keggers when I was high school.

It exercises my creative side the same way taking off for a walk exercises my body.

Do some people take their hobbies too far? Of course, but I would say the same about all hobbies. It seems extreme to bag on one hobby simply because you don't understand it or it isn't your personal thing.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

I'll be damned if anyone tells me i can't play Skyrim. The government has too much control over us as is.

Just quoting that for irony.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Would you rather kids be doing this:

Or this:

Being a geek, I know where I would rather my kids be on a Friday night.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
JetBlackStare

That's funny. OP posts a thread about being annoyed by fandom, yet we end up the haters?

Flawless Logic.

I think it's hilarious that other people spend so much time brooding over what my hobbies are but I could give two bowel movements what yours are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join