It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British are frantically Googling what the EU is, hours after voting to leave it

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
they thought they were voting against scary brown people

oops

BINGO

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: TerryDon79

Shouldn't they have been asking those questions before the election?
Why should they? I've never googled "how many countries are in the EU" and I don't need to. It's not something that effects day to day life. The googled questions are interesting to know and were probably triggered by the vote, but still not a big deal.

It's like asking "what is a tsunami". Most people have a rough idea, but I can promise you that after the tsunami, people will google it.

I don't need the premise of the questions explained to me, but to sum up my general response to your response about why they might ask such question...
Should United Statesians need to Google how many states there are in the US?
You're on about a single country with multiple states. The EU is a political entity with multiple countries. Bit of a difference there.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Ha, I knew what I was voting against before Maastricht...I just had to wait for my chance.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Wrong mostly anyhow.
I know a lot of people in Bradford who voted out and they are brown I and others can see the EU failing and getting out now is what I think is best for our country.
Sure I bet a portion of racists did vote out but please don't say everyone who voted out made the choice due to race.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
That is a problem with voting; a majority rules and a majority of people are simply stupid.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

BTW, If you check the link, the stats (if you can call them that) are in direct response to the query.

Example
"Top UK questions on the EU referendum.

How do I vote in the EU referendum?
What is Brexit?
Who can vote in the EU referendum?
When is the EU referendum?
Where can I vote?"

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Define State. Here I'll do it for you:

state
noun
2. a nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government.

"Germany, Italy, and other European states" synonyms: country, nation, land, sovereign state, nation state, kingdom, realm, power, republic, confederation, federation

"an autonomous state"
an organized political community or area forming part of a federal republic.
"the German state of Bavaria"
synonyms: province, federal state, region, territory, canton, department, county, district, shire

"the country is divided into thirty-two states"
informal term for United States.
plural noun: States; plural noun: the States
3. the civil government of a country.
"services provided by the state"
synonyms: government, parliament, administration, regime, authorities
"the power of the state"
the legislative body in Jersey, Guernsey, and Alderney.
plural noun: the States
4. pomp and ceremony associated with monarchy or high levels of government.
"he was buried in state"

adjective
modifier noun: state
1. of, provided by, or concerned with the civil government of a country.
www.google.com...

Ever member that joined the EU, or ever will, were ALL states before joining the EU.

Country, State, Nation all mean the same thing. Although I like to argue it as the word "country" is a mostly an "American" jingoist term. So in that light a FEDERATION (i.e. the FEDERAL Government of the USA) might be a more proper word for "country". Following this logic, if the EU is a federation (no doubt about that), then they would also be a "country".

Now to make my point clear, the nations / states that join the EU federation / country relinquish their national sovereignty. EU law becomes the rule of the land. And even worse for the citizens in the states in the EU federation, the citizens in the states in the the US federation at least get to "vote" on who runs the US Federal Government ("on paper" we do anyways), where citizens in EU member states do not. That's just sick.
edit on 24-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom
Thank you Knight. That was a sweeping generalization and and added little to the conversation. I needed to be called out on that even though I was only quoting another.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Why are you arguing a case that I didn't bring up? I couldn't give a monkeys if you think Europe is a continent or not.

My point was that the EU is not a land mass and we weren't voting to be in or out of Europe (which is a land mass).

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I simply refuse to believe this. Google can manipulate anything they want for any reason they want. Ask Hillary. Pure propaganda, IMHO. Fear, fear and more fear. It's going to be a loooong two years.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MrThortan

Yep. Democracy and all its variations is a bottom-up problem. Always has been, since the very first one.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

So that's how it's going to get spun? That Britons really just wanted immigrants and refugees to "Leave"?

Cute.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Dude this is like 'all' the people in any place voting for a president, and then the next day Googling questions trying to figure out who they voted for.

And then you come in with arms swinging rationalizing how the top searches from within that populace make perfect sense to ask... coming a day late and a dollar short.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Dude this is like 'all' the people in any place voting for a president, and then the next day Googling questions trying to figure out who they voted for.
Completely different. A better analogy would be people who were going to vote for New York to be out of the United States and googling what the consequences would be. You also fail to realise that 16 MILLION people voted to stay in. To say it was just the people who voted out would be dishonest, don't you think?

And then you come in with arms swinging rationalizing how the top searches from within that populace make perfect sense to ask... coming a day late and a dollar short.
Would you google how to fix you car before or after it broke down? How do you know that all of those who googled about the EU weren't from the stay voters? You don't.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Why are you arguing a case that I didn't bring up? I couldn't give a monkeys if you think Europe is a continent or not.

My point was that the EU is not a land mass and we weren't voting to be in or out of Europe (which is a land mass).

This is really a thread about ignorance. And I almost get the impression you're auditioning to be posterchild of all this.

Did you google "What is the EU?" this morning?
It would explain your defensive posture in this thread from the get go.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

This is really a thread about ignorance. And I almost get the impression you're auditioning to be posterchild of all this.
Yet you're ignorant to the difference between Europe and the EU. Something I cleared up on page 1.

Did you google "What is the EU?" this morning?
It would explain your defensive posture in this thread from the get go.
I know what the EU is. I've lived in 3 countries within it. One that was a new member too. It's you and the article you quoted that doesn't understand the difference between the EU and Europe.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Completely different. A better analogy would be people who were going to vote for New York to be out of the United States and googling what the consequences would be. You also fail to realise that 16 MILLION people voted to stay in. To say it was just the people who voted out would be dishonest, don't you think?

Would you google how to fix you car before or after it broke down? How do you know that all of those who googled about the EU weren't from the stay voters? You don't.

I think New Yorkers would already know what the US is, what states are in it, etc, before ever having to vote to leave it.

That 2nd part is off base. In this context, it would be them googling what a car is in response to it breaking down.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

No, it was an illustration of how ignorant the masses tend to be. Even here in the US everybody thinks that Europe is a "continent", because establishment "education" teaches us into being morons.

Which does apply here because consider the "North American Union" concept. There even being a EUROPEAN "union", you would argue everybody's ignorant perception of it being a "continent" has nothing to do with it formation.

Now go on with some more Semantics Trolling. GG

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I think New Yorkers would already know what the US is, what states are in it, etc, before ever having to vote to leave it.
Yet I can guarantee I can find an article saying that a lot don't. I'm sure there was even a thread on here about it.

That 2nd part is off base. In this context, it would be them googling what a car is in response to it breaking down.
You still can't give a definitive answer on who actually googled it. Was it the voters who chose to leave or to stay? What you have done is hyped up the "the people who voted to leave don't even know what they're leaving" without knowing who even googled it. 16 million voted to stay. How many of them googled those questions? You can't answer that question because the answer isn't given in the article.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

No, it was an illustration of how ignorant the masses tend to be. Even here in the US everybody thinks that Europe is a "continent", because establishment "education" teaches us into being morons.

Which does apply here because consider the "North American Union" concept. There even being a EUROPEAN "union", you would argue everybody's ignorant perception of it being a "continent" has nothing to do with it formation.

Now go on with some more Semantics Trolling. GG

Back on the irrelevance of what a continent is?

*yawn*

Nothing to do with what I said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join