It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British are frantically Googling what the EU is, hours after voting to leave it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it
The whole world is reeling after a milestone referendum in Britain to leave the European Union. And although leaders of the campaign to exit Europe are crowing over their victory, it seems many Britons may not even know what they had actually voted for.

Awakening to a stock market plunge and a precipitous decline in the value of the pound that Britain hasn't seen in more than 30 years, voters now face a series of economic shocks that analysts say will only worsen before they improve. The consequences of the leave vote will be felt worldwide, even here in the United States, and some British voters say they now regret casting a ballot in favor of Brexit.

Now isn't this interesting. They were in a 'thing' they didn't even know what it was. They voted to remain or leave a thing they didn't know what it is. And now that they are leaving it they now decide to try and find out?

No shocker here. This would explain just about any election, for any noun, here (in the US) there (in the EU) or just about anywhere, by my estimation.

How one in four Americans don't know who their forefathers declared independence from

Of course it would help to have some demographics here of who it is googling this all day now. But something tells me it isn't just the left or the right's subscribers. The fact the vote became a left vs. right issue I do find troubling.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Sounds like propaganda to justify ignoring the vote or somehow re voting.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Just a bit of a correction for you.

The vote was about leaving or staying in the EU (European Union) NOT about being a part of Europe.

There is quite a difference.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure the demographics show that those who voted to leave were mostly the elderly. I highly doubt the elderly are Googling what the EU is.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You've mis-understood.

They don't mean 'we voted but don't understand what we VOTED for...

They mean... we've VOTED but don't know what we've VOTED for...

As in..

What is to come?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I doubt that any voter did not know about the decision I was given all the info with my postal vote and it has been in every paper and TV for ages also the main topic of conversation for the past few weeks.
Maybe the people who didn't vote or kids but I think the voters knew their choices unless they were real idiots.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I find this article interesting

First — technically speaking — the referendum is not legally binding. In theory, Cameron, who plans to leave by October, could ignore the will of a slight majority of voters, and not make any moves to exit the political and economic bloc.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

What relevance does that have with anything to do with anything I said.

Europe isn't even a continent to begin with. It's a fantasy. Like if you were to call Central America, or the Middle East, "continents".

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What relevance does that have with anything to do with anything I said.
Read what you quoted.

Europe isn't even a continent to begin with. It's a fantasy. Like if you were to call Central America, or the Middle East, "continents".
Are you being ironic or serious?

Either way, there a 7 continents.
Asia
Africa
North America
South America
Antarctica
Europe
Austrailia

Oh look, there's Europe.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Really?

In the U.K., the most searched question on Google since the Brexit was announced was:
*"What does it mean to leave the EU?"
*"What is the EU?"
*"Which countries are in the EU?"
*"What will happen now we’ve left the EU?"
*"How many countries are in the EU?"

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It's disturbing that Google is spying on you, and being used in politics!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
they thought they were voting against scary brown people

oops

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Only what is the EU? says to me the person asking it is a little dim or young. The rest valid questions I think.
edit on 24-6-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Look at a map, and then tell me how "Europe" is any different than Central America, India, the Middle East, or Alaska.

In elementary school I used to love watching all the teachers squirm on this issue.

It's a fantasy planted in your brain by "education". The same education that has a major percentage of United Statesians (aka "Americans") not knowing what the 4th of July (aka Independence Day) is all about.

That kind of jingoism is akin to "oriental" looking peoples calling themselves "Asian", as if Russians / etc / etc aren't part of Asia either.

Following the logic of "Europe" being its own "continent":
-Then shouldn't say Russia be its own "continent" (look how big it is, how many people it has)? To me it would appear inherent, as apparently neither "Europeans" nor "Asians" will have them.
-How many total continents are there (i.e. Central America, India, the Middle East, Alaska, South Africa, etc)?
edit on 24-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Really?

In the U.K., the most searched question on Google since the Brexit was announced was:
*"What does it mean to leave the EU?" Because people who voted stay are quite likely wanting to find out what happens next.

*"What is the EU?"
Because a lot of people don't understand the entity that is the EU.

*"Which countries are in the EU?"
Pretty sensible. I doubt most people would know that without googling.

*"What will happen now we’ve left the EU?"
Again, a fair question to search for answers.

*"How many countries are in the EU?"
Pretty much the same as "which countries are in the EU"

I don't see how any of those are "interesting" or give any impression of "not knowing what it is".

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
"Frantically"

aw yes they are just pounding away at those keyboards wide eyes open having anxiety attacks.

Please point me to proof of "frantic"

Shame on people trying to get a better understanding of the issues. They should have googled what is kate middleton wearing today.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Look at a map, and then tell me how "Europe" is any different than Central America, India, the Middle East, or Alaska.

In elementary school I used to love watching all the teachers squirm on this issue.

It's a fantasy planted in your brain by "education". The same education that has a major percentage of United Statesians (aka "Americans") not knowing what the 4th of July (aka Independence Day) is all about.

That kind of jingoism is akin to "oriental" looking peoples calling themselves "Asian", as if Russians / etc / etc aren't part of Asia either.

If you say so.

Still, Europe isn't the EU and the EU isn't Europe.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

The British are frantically Googling what the EU is

no they're not, they're making Youtube videos

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If you're not a globalist, you're stupid.

This is essentially what they're saying.

They're resorted to sandbox insults via insinuation.

They've got nothing else.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Shouldn't they have been asking those questions before the election?

I don't need the premise of the questions explained to me, but to sum up my general response to your response about why they might ask such question...
Should United Statesians need to Google how many states there are in the US?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join