It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghostbusters 2016, sexism and PC agenda in Hollywood.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So Sony has "rebooted" the Ghostbusters franchise and after two trailers there is a wave of internet backlash. People are saying those that are trashing the movie, which has yet to be released is sexist because it has a all female lead cast. James Rolfe, also known as the Angry Nintendo Nerd has received massive criticism from a video that he posted refusing to review the video. You can watch his refusal here, www.youtube.com...

Now I watched both trailers. Here are some of my initial thoughts. First off it looks like they murdered the franchise. The actors/actresses seem goofy and just uncoordinated. The CGI is cheesy. I seems like a little bit of a rip off from the original. Now for what really gets me. This seems like an attempt to push some politically correct agenda and destroy a reputable franchise at the same time. They cast four female ghostbusters in this movie with a goofy preppy white male as their secretary. This kinda reminds me of scooby doo with Ghostbusters. I have no problem with female ghostbusters. Actually I would loved to see a mixed cast. It just seems a little suspicious how they did the casting. A overweight goofy white woman (Did anyone see Tammy the movie?) two other white women and a loud and obnoxious black comedian. Furthermore the Jones, the black comedian even breaks out the race card/gender card during the trailer when people fail to catch her as she jumps off stage.

Now there has been a ton of criticism on the web and YouTube about this movie. Actually the trailer was the most disliked video in the history of YouTube. You can watch the first trailer here.www.youtube.com...

It just seems like this movie and the casting is a poor intended attempt to push a politically correct social agenda and anyone that comes out against the movie is a misogynist. All of the PC shaming is what is hurting society but those are for other threads.

So what is everyone's thoughts? Are people hating on the movie because of the female cast? or other meritable reasons?

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AssiduousSpook

For me the issue is larger than just this movie.

It's turning classic well known pop culture into something else to appease some stupid niche audience or vocal minority.

Rebooting GhostBusters all female
Making Thor a woman
Make this super hero gay
Make that one black...

Why they don't just make new female, black, gay superheros and movies? Why do they insist on rebooting and ruining everything?

People have been clamoring for years to make original ideas, but I guess they're still making money from this nonsense or you would think they would stop.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

If I had to wager a guess yes this is likely some PC BS. But! just like any other fluffed up reboot to make something PC, I will reserve judgement until I have actually seen more than a crappy youtube video. For all I know it might actually be an ok flick.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm wondering when they'll do a remake of the Movie 'Roots' or perhaps 'The Color Purple' with an all White Cast.

But concerning Ghost Busters new movie, i think i'll pass on that.

Some things are better left untouched.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If you don't watch them they won't make them...nobody has any original ideas anymore

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Original concepts in Hollywood are few and far between, everything is a remake or sequel. Now there is hope, anybody see the trailer for Swiss army man? Now THATS an original concept.

link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I've noticed that too for a long long time. Perhaps we really are growing closer to a planetized implosion?

link   
a reply to: awareness10

They did remake roots, not all white cast though.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

yes i know, i saw it.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

I am interested to see how that works out, the ol' lady and I were talking about that one yesterday.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Black James west in Wild Wild West...

Female Starbuck in battlestar...

I have no problem with African American or female lead characters. I liked the movie men in black with a black lead, I liked the Buffy series with a strong female lead. I don't like replacing old characters in the name of diversity.

I also don't like every tv show, commercial and movie having an idiot white man with a superior wife or girlfriend.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Cool, I was in it.
(So was my roommate at the time and 2 other friends of mine)
edit on 24-6-2016 by sycomix because: (no reason given)

The filming in Louisiana was the worst part, actually a crappy area. (not far from 9th ward)
edit on 24-6-2016 by sycomix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This movie has a 'token' 'everything' in it.
They tried sooo hard.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Oh that's cool, were you an extra? I did enjoy it, as i did the first movie.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AssiduousSpook
The actors/actresses seem goofy and just uncoordinated. The CGI is cheesy. I seems like a little bit of a rip off from the original. Now for what really gets me.

I feel like you literally just beat a woman right there! such misogyny!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hollywood did something with the singular purpose of generating money? Say it ain't so!

I don't know if the movie is good or bad, I have yet to see it. But, to be shocked that an industry, who's sole current purpose is to generate money, is tailoring their current offerings to untapped market share is, well...just silly.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

There was a YouTube video I watched that broke down some of the very real reasons why this movie is making crap of something they should not have touched.

One of those reasons is that while Ghostbusters is comedic, Ramis and Akroyd were really into the paranormal and treated the subject with some seriousness, enough to give it weight and that helps make the movie and sell it. You can tell from the way they act that it's not just a cheap joke to them; sure, the movie is a comedy, but the jokes are around a serious subject.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I actually want to see the new Ghostbusters!

Okay, I'll leave now.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
DP
edit on 24-6-2016 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I am *not* defending this movie. Nor do I intend to see it.

However.......

Like it or not, the vast majority of films to date have featured WASP-y male lead characters. This, is true.

Hollywood, in case you haven't caught on, hasn't been willing to bankroll a new concept in quite some time...instead, believing that they'll cash in on the memories of those who saw it in the first go round.... This, is true.

Hollywood is in business. And businesses are in business, to make money. They're going to pander to what they believe will sell. And guess what? This crap today sells. When was the last time you actually found a new movie to be funny? For me...... a very, very long time.

Society is changing. And, I do things should be shaken up a bit. Less of a focus on WASP-y males, and be a bit more inclusive.

What I feel you're acknowledging here, is the natural backlash. The flood. And, even if it is a dribble, or a deluge....any flood will be VERY noticeable.

Hell, my eight year old has gotten into the new My Little Pony cartoons. What seemed glaringly meant to be in your face to me was the obvious inclusion of a voice actor that was blatantly doing what might be termed as a "flamingly gay" affectation to his voice.....whether it was real or not, it was there. And of course, the show starts off with a HUGE rainbow shooting across the sky.

Change..... well... it's uncomfortable. I'll admit that. But, if you truly look at it, I do believe that things have to a large degree been misrepresentative of society as it actually is.

Sad that "change" is being translated into advertising dollars, IMHO.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join