It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we talk about lettuce?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What is this new lettuce that they are putting on everything? Leaf lettuce? It sucks. The flavor is too strong and the texture is course. It was always head lettuce and it worked well. WTF is up with this new crap? Cheaper? Is this just me?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Uneducated guess.... part of some dopey trend.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
buy different lettuce......

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yes. Let us talk about lettuce.

Lettuce is disgusting. That is, if you're eating any that you didn't personally hand-select from your local farmer's market.

Anything else just about makes me want to vomit.

And I like lettuce.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

Like cilantro. Hadn't heard that one before last year.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: eluryh22

Like cilantro. Hadn't heard that one before last year.

Like kale.

Side note: I'll just say that my wife was rockin' Pomegranate WAY before it was cool.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
What's wrong with cilantro? It's just parsley with attitude ... unless you happen to be one of those people who have the genetics that make it taste like soap.

I'm not sure what lettuce you are talking about. I'm sure iceberg is in the doghouse, so it's likely something else like romaine or green leaf or something.
edit on 23-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Lettuce not hate on the new trendy greens. It looks good under my steak.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Cilantro is wonderful! I grow it. It helps make the perfect shrimp cocktail. The only good thing Iceberg head lettuce is good for it in tacos, because it is nice and crunchy. It just doesnt have much in the way of nutirents. Red leaf lettuce is great in salads and has vitamins and nutrients. I do however prefer Boston Bibb or Butter leaf lettuce in my salads and sandwiches. Kale is a superfood, as is Collard greens. I grow them both. I grow at least 50 types of vegetables. I just picked several pounds of super sugar sweet Organic Cherry tomatos. Sungold and Sweet 100. All my gardens are organicly fed with kelp, and fish emulsion. No inorganic pesticides or herbacides are used ever here.

edit on 23-6-2016 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2016 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Are you talking about red oak and the like? Arugula? What many years ago we used to call "Yuppie salad?"

Well, I agree that head/iceberg lettuce should be the default if it's being served as a garnish or, say, on a sandwitch or burger.

Iceberg doesn't grow easily in hot places.... I'd guess that some places tend toward growing the 'other' stuff and then desperately try to market it as either trendy or 'healthy'.

I'll eat the stuff, but I have to choose it. Stubborn like that.

ETA: love me some cilantro, or the Central American version, culantro, which is more leafy, but tastes much the same. It's an acquired taste. I probably wouldn't try to make Mexican/Honduranean food without it.
edit on 23/6/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

you mean the stuff like romaine, or the curly leaf lettuce?

The 'head lettuce' is iceberg?

im not a fan of iceberg. ill eat romaine from time to time, like with lettuce wraps. butter is my favorite kind. delicate, soft....just awesome.

iceberg tastes like saccharin to me. for salads i much prefer micro and baby greens like arugula, dandelion, spinach, sprouts, etc.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

cilantro tastes soapy.

ill eat it when its balanced properly into the dish. never as a garnish. mostly with lime somewhere to provide a balance for it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: ketsuko

cilantro tastes soapy.

ill eat it when its balanced properly into the dish. never as a garnish. mostly with lime somewhere to provide a balance for it.

It only does at first, then it becomes addictive. I love it now. I made shrimp cocktail today with a bunch of chopped cilantro and cucumber. I added that to a sause of 50% clamato, 50% ketchup, horseradish, redonion, celery salt, tapatio, chili powder, fresh cracked black pepper, a sprinkle of chipotle, and a good squeze of lime juice.
It is absolutely awesome! Throw in the jumbo shrimp and chill for an hour or so before serving

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Well , I grow 50 ft of my own. Iceberg is nutritionally deficient. Green leaf an red leaf, Bibl etc..are wonderful but only harvested during cool spring weather. Once it gets hot out they bolt, meaning they go to seed and develop bitter compounds.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Trep, try to like leaf lettuce. It has at least some nutritional value. It's actually what I buy for salads, and has more body, more color, and more flavor than Iceberg. I haven't bought Iceberg since I left my mother's house. Give it a chance. Any of the 'thicker, greener' lettuces are better than iceberg.

If you think about it, Iceberg actually kinda sucks.

It's not a trend, by the way. It's just a better lettuce.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It does for you, but not for everyone. It does not for me, for example.

It truly is genes that causes it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

It's the texture and heavy taste. Lettuce should be a condiment if it's not in a salad. Just don't like this on sandwiches. Salads? No prob.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Butter lettuce for bleu cheese salads.
Romaine for chicken Caesar salads.
Iceberg for sandwiches, burgers. occasionally a wedge of iceberg for a side salad at dinner with a drizzle of basalmic vinegarette.

I'm a lettuce nerd.

#LettuceLivesMatter

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

THAT'S what I'm talkin about.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

all you have to say is balsamic vinaigrette....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join