It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we talk about lettuce?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
i`ve been growing leaf lettuce in my garden for the last 10 years. it grows faster than iceburg lettuce and you can just cut the leaves off and the plant will grow more.you can get a lot of leaf lettuce off of just a few plants.i planted some romaine lettuce this year also, for the first time.it seems to grow as fast as the leaf lettuce.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
... unless you happen to be one of those people who have the genetics that make it taste like soap.

I am one of those people.
I just cuss a lot before I eat it.
Brings back childhood memories.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Now, that's just bragging-jealous, and feeling bad about myself.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

Now, that's just bragging-jealous, and feeling bad about myself.
I have too Much! I wish I could beam some to you straight away where ever you live Bro

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I like those fru fru greens, they are better for you and they make DH contort his face in weird ways, lol. "Why are you eating weeds and stems for lunch? Yuk!" he says. The flavor is more varied and interesting than iceburg too. I hate buying iceburg, only the green outer layers are good for anything. Everything in the middle is yellow and bitter. It seems like such a waste.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The plant defense chemistry of leaf lettuce is way stronger than iceberg lettuce. A small amount won't hurt anyone, but eating it more often can lead to complications in some people. Iceberg lettuce is pretty safe unless you get a nitric oxide reaction from eating it which sets off dizziness. All green stuff has nitrogen in it. One thing though, the leaf lettuce doesn't need as much pesticides sprayed on it because it's plant defense chemicals can be stronger. Only the outer leafs of iceberg are high in those. From what I read though, they still spray the leaf lettuce to guarantee it isn't chewed on. But if you plant it yourself, you won't need to spray it unless something starts chewing on it. I grow the leaf stuff and nobody eats it. I just put in a few romaines this year, no use planting it if nobody wants it.

Don't get bagged ready to use lettuce either, it can have some antimicrobials sprayed on it to keep it from getting bad and some chemistry to keep it from getting brown is usually added. A little won't hurt us, just don't be eating it every day.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: ketsuko
... unless you happen to be one of those people who have the genetics that make it taste like soap.

I am one of those people.
I just cuss a lot before I eat it.
Brings back childhood memories.

Cilantro tastes like gym shorts to me. Not really like soap. I do have the genetics that match. My wife, two daughters, and my grandkids like cilantro and surprisingly, their genetics confirm it does not taste like crap to them.

It is actually kind of impressive about them being able to tell by genetics.

edit on 23-6-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I was not aware that this is a "thing"- but I definitely have those genetics! I HATE cilantro with a passion.

Thank you for helping me to understand why!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Thanks. All my friends here in Georgia are being generous; I just had a heart attack-so no garden for me. My fav food-tomato sandwiches.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I have read but can't provide a link, that lettuce when cut produces a milk like substance that is or has an opioid affect, that's why peter rabbit always got sleepy after chowing down on Mr McGregors garden. Sopporific I think that's the word.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Like cilantro. Hadn't heard that one before last year.

You're a prison guard right? You need to get out more. Cilantro is awesome and it's been trendy for a long time. You could buy salsa with cilantro 10 years ago. Are you thinking of kale?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes

they make DH

I was so happy not seeing this stupid trend on ATS. Why don't you call your husband your husband? I can almost forgive MIL but DH?

For those not privy to mommy bloggers it means Dear Husband. It's incredibly stupid. It's worse than people saying SO because girlfriend or boyfriend doesn't convey they are serious.

I'm sure you're very nice and I'm not actually irritated with you, it's this whole trend of shortening everything for no apparent reason. Last night I slept with my D in my B. Sounds a little weird, doesn't it? Also like I'm a braggart. Dog in my bed. You can puzzle out long words like husband or girlfriend if you try hard.

Go to a better store if the iceberg lettuce is yellow. It has basically no nutritional value, but it shouldn't be yellow. Like snow, or something else cold that's escaped my mind (was it in the name of the lettuce?).

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Go to a better store if the iceberg lettuce is yellow. It has basically no nutritional value, but it shouldn't be yellow. Like snow, or something else cold that's escaped my mind (was it in the name of the lettuce?).

I think she is talking about the heart. In the center, the leaves get slightly yellowish, and its more bitter.

same with romaine, though.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

it was always most common to use iceberg lettuce because it is cheapest, what your referring too is that alot of places have stopped using iceberg lettuce,
there is indeed a huge trend to start switching iceberg lettuce for more nutritional options,
iceberg lettuce is typically stripped of all nutrients and then heavily fluoridated,
other types like romaine arent, much better for you.
edit on 24-6-2016 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

That's a bit nit picky, don't you think? Three paragraphs of ranting over a random common abbreviation. You must be fun to text with.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Pomegranate was never cool.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

Holy crap I hate iceberg lettuce. Useless garbage.
edit on 24-6-2016 by BrokedownChevy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I guess I am one because cilantro tastes like @ss to me. Cat @ss, specifically. I can eat it, like BFFT says, well balanced, but most places pile it on like ketchup (the "more is better" theory). I do like Thai food so put up with it. But I will stay away when somebody puts it on a pizza as garnish (ruin a good pizza, sheesh).

I get my parsley from the organic farmer at the farmer's market every other week. What I don't use I dry for using during the winter months.

(And DBCowboy for Lettuce president!)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join