It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever defined what a human is?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What distinguishes a Robot from a Human, they follow the same principle of intelligent design by a creator.
In our western culture, our kids are taught the religious aspect of Christ and live with it or byt it.
The difference is in their way you teach the word of Christ, but if it follows the principles of humanity it means you follow the word of Christ.

If something acts, talks and behaves like a human, is it not a human?

Have you ever defined yourself within the boundaries of being a human and then try to define the difference of what we are trying to create as a AI robot.

We are all empty vessels, even as grown ups. Most of us live in a paradigm made by a creator, a king or a God or for a AI robot whatever you program it to.

Try to define for yourself what human actually means?
edit on 201663 by LauGhing0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LauGhing0ne

Human beings are souls 'visiting' Earth in a physical body.

Something that simulates human behavior is not human nor does it possess the spark of life that is of the creator God.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Human beings are souls 'visiting' Earth in a physical body.

Something that simulates human behavior is not human nor does it possess the spark of life that is of the creator God.

In addition to that, human beings are able to reproduce and pass on their unique set of traits to another human, whom they have made from "scratch" without external help...and I'm obviously talking about the rule, not the exceptions.

Can synthetics do that too?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

A soul is in my opinion nothing more than guilt and shame, and the re-enforcement of those simple traits through out life.

Does animals in the animal kingdom have a soul when they kill ?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JustEve

You can replicate an AI. I believe that is the same thing you are trying to achieve when you are reproducing?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Just my opinion.

We are clever tool-making monkeys. In fact, we are so clever that we can even make tools that mimic ourselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Excellent!

Could you define what human means to you?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I think it's irrelevant whether or not we can classify an AI as "human". I think the question should be focused on "person-hood', human or not.

"Human" is biology. "Person" is society.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Human is a set of cardinal virtues as a philosopher once called it or victorian ideals to make it more modern.
Im a primate, that is what my biology shows but Im also a person in western society that taught me ideals from a young age.

If i act like a primate in society am i considered a human?

I could even stretch to the parable of Tarzan, was he a primate or a human?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LauGhing0ne
Have you ever defined what a human is?

Biology defines fairly precisely what a 'homo-sapiens/schizo-sapiens' is!
When you move to the term 'human' you instantly leave the world of rational science into the land of fiction and poetry and metaphor.
There are some who don't even accept your 'humanity' depending on the color of your skin.
Shall your 'definition' of 'human' (a vague term, at best) involve skin color?
How about 'religion'? (You know, like those barbaric inhuman (fill in your own hatreds and bigotry)s!)
How about my 'definition' that the animal (homo-sapiens) never transcends animal-hood until Enlightened/unconditionally Loving, and becoming Universal, fully human and more!
Then there's be damned few true 'humans' on the planet!
Your question is more inspirational of a poetic response than a philosophical/scientific.

What distinguishes a Robot from a Human,

If you do not know the difference, have I got a low cost low maintenance wife for you!
And she just needs to be hosed down once a week!
A dictionary is a great place to begin.
On the other hand, it can be argued that we are bio-robots with an ego!
Perhaps the 'difference' is the ego, the 'thought/imagination'!?

they follow the same principle of intelligent design by a creator.

I should have read the entire post before getting into it with a 'true believer'!
Intelligent design is complete nonsense, absolutely unsupportable by science or philosophy!
A 'belief infection' in the Faithless (who need 'proof)!
And 'creation' is impossible, scientifically AND philosophically!
It only exists in imaginary belief-land.

In our western culture, our kids are taught the religious aspect of Christ and live with it or byt it.

Did you just arrive here?
That is the most absurd assertion that i have heard all day!
And utterly false!
Utterly!
The segment of society (hardly 'all'! There ARE other religions besides yours!) that has been infected with the 'Jesus strain' of 'beliefs' by their patents, do NOT "live with it or by it", you/they (VAST majority) are judgmental ignorant hypocrites with no clue of what Jesus was all about; the unconditional Love that seems to be rarer among so called 'Xtians' than hen's teeth!!!
The ONE characteristic wherewith Jesus said that he would recognize his followers is unconditional Love/Enlightenment!

The difference is in their way you teach the word of Christ,

You testimony/evangelize/proselytize NOT with your vain words and holier-than-thou attitude but by how you live your life!
Everything that you say and do reflects who and what you are!
If you are unconditional Love, a 'Xtian', you SHINE your 'preachment'!
People are attracted to you and come to you asking you what's up with that! THEN you can, perhaps, guide them, when you finally have Knowledge to share rather then the Polly-wanna-crackerish droning of words that you read in a book somewhere!
Knowledge is experience!
Then you can run that vain mouth if you need

but if it follows the principles of humanity it means you follow the word of Christ.

What "principles of humanity"?
I have not read your rule book, obviously. Whence these so-called 'principles'?
And, no, it does not follow the fictional vain whichever edition of the 'words' (empty vanity, imaginary), it follows the Love!

If something acts, talks and behaves like a human, is it not a human?

No! That is irrational!
A pile of programmed tin, with batteries, hardly a 'human' makes!

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Excellent!

Could you define what human means to you?

It's what we label the ego. We label something in order to differentiate.

We are better tool-making primates than other primates. We classify our better ability as "human" to elevate ourselves above the rest of the primates.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There are theories which suggest that we live in a simulation of some sort and I reckon this is the reason for this thread. Nice!

Anyhow, have we managed to create a synthetic that looks, acts, behaves and emotes like us?

And is indistinguishable from a human being?

If not, then all this is purely on a theoretical level as we cannot know for sure that such a thing is 100% possible, meaning indistinguishable and I can't stress that enough.

If yes, links please!

edit on 3/6/2016 by JustEve because: Forgot to add something

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

I do understand you are from a New Age perspective, and you will define most things from your belief. To you its dogmatic, i cant change your belief system. Having faith does not have to include a abrahamic religion, you can be an fundamental buddhist or an extremist hindu.. To you your belief is very real, but that is about it..

I simplified my OT, to make people understand that our western culture is based of the ideals of christianity and i asked people who read this to define what a human is..?

What you are doing is trying to define your belief?

Education offers much, but it cant offer a salvation from someones imagination.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Being a human is a better tool making monkey? no ideals?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Being a human is a better tool making monkey? no ideals?

No.

We just make better tools. that's all our advancements are. just better tools.

We are the same biological creature we were 30,000 years ago.

Our spears are shinier and sharper, but we are no different.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

You think the only way humanity can come alive is through war?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

You think the only way humanity can come alive is through war?

I don't understand the question.

Humanity just is.

It is what we identify ourselves as.

Our egos are our 'humanity".

Our ability to make tools is what differentiates us from the rest of all the species on Earth.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Abysha

Human is a set of cardinal virtues as a philosopher once called it or victorian ideals to make it more modern.
Im a primate, that is what my biology shows but Im also a person in western society that taught me ideals from a young age.

If i act like a primate in society am i considered a human?

I could even stretch to the parable of Tarzan, was he a primate or a human?

Damn, you smart and stuff. I like your argument better than mine but I can't quite divorce myself from thinking of "human" as species and "person" as the thing that counts.

I like what you said, though. All of it.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I believe humanity is thaught, but if we cant relate to it how do we experience it?
To become human, do you think the only way is through war? Do you think we can be humans without pain and suffering?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Evolution is a change brought about by environmental stress.

We've eliminated stress by making such good tools.

Perhaps we've become a dead-end species.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join