It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"My God! It's Full of Galaxies!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Here's one of my favourite vids :

This leaves me in awe of it all...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarsIsRed
Here's one of my favourite vids :

This leaves me in awe of it all...

Yeah. That's a great video.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: wildespace

I refuse to believe that we are the only "intelligent" sentient lifeforms in the universe. Interestingly enough the White House has had 2 incidents in the last week where msm asked the press secretary about alien life.

As for these photos I love em. We think we are important yet when compared to the overall pictures of the universe we are insignificant.

I've been thinking about why the universe is as large as it is and I keep coming back to the same answer. If the universe were not as big as it is then there would be no point in wanting to explore beyond our solar system. I think humanity would stagnate.

We need a goal that is almost impossible to obtain in order to keep us moving forward.

I quote the Fermi Paradox again. Just maybe we are alone within our little bubble of the universe. A scary thought, but possibly true.....

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I refuse to believe that we are the only "intelligent" sentient lifeforms in the universe. Interestingly enough the White House has had 2 incidents in the last week where msm asked the press secretary about alien life.

As for these photos I love em. We think we are important yet when compared to the overall pictures of the universe we are insignificant.

I've been thinking about why the universe is as large as it is and I keep coming back to the same answer. If the universe were not as big as it is then there would be no point in wanting to explore beyond our solar system. I think humanity would stagnate.

We need a goal that is almost impossible to obtain in order to keep us moving forward.

I quote the Fermi Paradox again. Just maybe we are alone within our little bubble of the universe. A scary thought, but possibly true.....

I'm my opinion, if we are alone in the universe, then the implications are beyond what any human is capable of comprehending.

I don't think we are . But if we are then that would make life so incredibly special that...well, I can't express it.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Space is big.
Really, really big.

That's what she said
edit on 28-5-2016 by whiteblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I always felt like it's such a shame the universe is so big but we can't even get out of our solar system. It's like we're trapped in a room looking out and will never get to leave and explore what's out there.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I ♥ Hubble

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I can't find the specs for the image. What's the angular FOV?

I can't find the specifics either, although some insight might be gained from this page. I'd assume the field of view is similar to previous deep-field images - being a small fraction of the full moon.

When this image appears at the Hubble archive, hopefully there will be specific details.
edit on 29-5-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

I don't think we are alone either.... but the possibility is defiantly real. Like I said, it's a scary thought.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

a reply to: 3danimator2014

defiantly realquote]

Don't you just love auto correct!

edit on 29-5-2016 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

I quote the Fermi Paradox again.

Paradoxes can be flawed, such as the case with the Olber's Paradox. I don't put much weight in them.

It might be that it takes billions of years for a space-faring civilisation to appear, and it might be so complicated by various factors (time, resources, extinction, etc.) that galactic-travelling civs are very few and far between. There are many, many possible factors when considering intra-galactic travel, so I don't think we could decide on all of it using a simple equation.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Where are all the hot chicks?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I looked at the pictures and immediately thought of precious stones and their often beautiful colours.

But before I wax lyrical what we are seeing is out of time and X billion light years away. So its fine to think about family and all the other wonderful ideas images like this that throw up in our imaginations, but they are so very far away. Unless we can fold space, images are all we will have to look at - however beautiful they are.

Many yearn for space travel, but space is the most inhospitable environment for our bodies and unless we divert a lot of resources into this exploration, rather than wasting them on a few men's profits through early warfare etc, we are never going to get there even for a little look up closer.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Astounding!
No matter how large I blow this up, I see colliding galaxies in every frame, Billions and billions of years old!!!'SnF

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

Auto correct is the vane of my life some of the things it comes up with are mind boggling. What really annoys me is that if I settle down and think out something, its invariably quite long and I can't face reading it through again - I usually want to rush off - but when I do sometimes the alterations are so mad, I can't make out the point I was trying to share.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Its when I sit down quietly and think of the lost civilisations on this planet and then look out into the stars or pictures such shown earlier, that I start to feel very sad because if I transpose life onto even a few of those planets, I start to wonder about all their possible civilisations and how they have fared.

I walked round Pergamon in Turkey some years ago (its the home of one of the original Christian groups mentioned in the bible) so its architecture, isolated location and history is fascinating, not to mention the atmosphere as you walk down its ruined main street. The sense of abandonment there is unavoidable and I wonder at the loss of people and especially when I think in the somewhat distant future we will one day collide with Andromeda a sadness at the loss of life and the vitality it brings to a place on a planet.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

And yet, there are those that will still say it's a hologram. Sigh...Love space myself.

Bally

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Peanuts.

That's a different sort of humour.

Well, it's humor, really.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
We're part of something so big that none of us have even begun to understand.

To look at that and think we're alone, to even think that there are at the MOST microbes or insects out there....is absurd in the highest degree.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
en.wikiquote.org...

Just don't forget your towel!

On a more serious note. What puzzles me is that no matter how deep we look into space, or rather how far in the past we look, everything is as organised as 'normal'. These deep field images supposed to show us stuff from relativily close to the big bang, so I would expect a bit more chaos then the images closer in time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join