It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender woman wins landmark discrimination case forcing ferry firm to remove the words 'ladies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

A transgender woman has won a landmark discrimination case forcing a ferry company to remove the words 'ladies' and 'gentlemen' from its toilets. Condor Ferries has become the first firm to change the gender specific signs on the doors after Erin Bisson proved she was 'humiliated' at being told to use the disabled toilets.

She argued the use of words rather than symbols on toilets amounted to indirect discrimination. Condor later admitted to the tribunal that there had been a 'non-intentional and non-malicious act of discrimination'.

The company is now replacing the 'offending' words on its toilet doors and will use gender symbols instead.

Transgender woman wins landmark discrimination case forcing ferry firm to remove the words 'ladies' and gents' from toilets after she was told to use the disabled loo

This took place in Jersey (Europe). The complaint related to a phone enquiry rather than an actual booking so there was no contract. Its quite late here in the UK so not had chance to check other sources. The news article is from the Daily Mail.

+16 more 
posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

This, in my opinion...is grandstanding.

I'd gladly cut off a private bit if this person could honestly prove that they REALLY felt that upset by this.

Welcome to the future. It is now.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Just to add a second link

As a Crown Dependency, Jersey maintains autonomy from the UK, and the case – heard in Jersey’s courts – was the first to rely on the island’s own gender discrimination laws, introduced in 2015.

Ms Bisson says she had asked the company which toilets she should use, and was advised “I should be using the disabled toilets”, which she says amounts to direct discrimination.

The company admitted to a “non-intentional and non-malicious act of discrimination”, and says it has worked with Ms Bisson to implement changes “to remove the possibility of inadvertent discrimination” in future.

Channel Islands LGBT group Liberate said: “We’re disappointed that the situation arose but we are very pleased that Condor Ferries have pledged to take steps to avoid this happening in the future, and that discrimination against transgender people is being taken seriously – well done Jersey!

www.pinknews.co.uk...

transjersey.org...

www.jerseylaw.je...< br />
edit on 25-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

This, in my opinion...is grandstanding.

I'd gladly cut off a private bit if this person could honestly prove that they REALLY felt that upset by this.

Welcome to the future. It is now.

Its not about a single person.

Its about discrimination of a minority group.

edit on 25-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Uh, no.

It's about *everyone*.

+39 more 
posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So wait. She identifies as a woman, and is pissed off when there is a sign for the women's restroom?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Uh, no.

It's about *everyone*.

You're saying everyone is being discriminated against.

Because a minority group is not allowed to use a restroom they gender identify with?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Uh no,
it's not.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
So wait. She identifies as a woman, and is pissed off when there is a sign for the women's restroom?

Apparently, she asked if she could use the ladies room and was told NO.

Use the disabled toilet.

+23 more 
link   

And here I was...thirsty.

Apparently you already drank all the kool-aid.

link   

What the hell is wrong with people these days??

This guy with tits, should have his eyes removed, so he wont get hurt by words...

There is only on solution to this moronic problem, unisex toilets

+22 more 
posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There is something fishy about this story. If you are transgender, why would you call the ferry company to ask which bathroom you should use? It states she called them before her trip and she was told to use the disabled bathroom.

Seems like something is either missing from the story or completely incorrect.

+11 more 
posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I get that part, but why are they being forced to remove the word ladies and go with a chick in a skirt, it means the same thing.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Isn't Jersey and the rest of the Channel Islands the royals petting zoo? Seems there are an awful lot of nasty investigations there and nobody seems get charged?

Cheers - Dave

+33 more 
link   

Its about discrimination of a minority group.

I disagree!

It is about some precious little snowflakes who want to bend society to their will.

It has not been a problem until now.

It seems three toilets, Men, Women and Everyone else is not sufficient.

This is about long term control.

P

link   
a reply to: Domo1

Guess so. Makes no sense. And this is important apparently. What it says is important...lol You feel like a woman, but no. Remove that word. Good chuckle

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
What about Womens rights and stuff, while using Unisex bathrooms for the solution in combo with the two, so the symbols won't be so offensive for later.

Besides ever seen a Mc'donalds Disabled room...Cleanest washroom ever.
edit on 25-5-2016 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Ladies and gentlemen is discrimination against a minority group? Damn, now I know I've been discriminated upon everytime women aren't showing enough cleavage.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I'm not getting how symbols are going to be different than words.
Cherries and bananas are symbols, yet we get the meaning. The regular symbols are a person in pants and a person wearing a skirt. I'm a woman who wears jeans, should I not use the room with the symbol of a dress?
I know women that aren't ladylike, and men that aren't gentlemen.
The symbols mean just as much as the words.

I also realize that if I ever get flack for using the ladies room because someone doesn't think I look ladylike enough, someone is going to be hearing a very unladylike reaction.....

Telling that person to be using the disabled bathroom is absolutely ridiculous too.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

What about Swastikas?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join