It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland schools ban textbooks that question climate change

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Portland Oregon is joining the crusade to silence any and all climate change denying.

They have adopted a resolution to sift through and eliminate any textbooks that don't fit their definitions of "accuracy".

Sounds like another quick move to set up an agenda before the agenda is disproven.

Some suggestion include highlighting jobs that pay living wages and are not fossil fuel related.

Another point is something about climate "literacy".

Oh boy.

Portland schools ban textbooks that question climate change

“It is unacceptable that we have textbooks in our schools that spread doubt about the human causes and urgency of the crisis,” said Lincoln High School student Gaby Lemieux in board testimony. “Climate education is not a niche or a specialization, it is the minimum requirement for my generation to be successful in our changing world.”

The resolution passed Tuesday evening calls for the school district to get rid of textbooks or other materials that cast doubt on whether climate change is occurring and that the activity of human beings is responsible. The resolution also directs the superintendent and staff to develop an implementation plan for “curriculum and educational opportunities that address climate change and climate justice in all Portland Public Schools.”

Maybe some "Cooling Off" time is needed !!

edit on May-20-2016 by xuenchen because: cold

+6 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Portland Oregon is joining the crusade to silence any and all climate change denying.

The only thing missing is some fire,swastika's,the gestapo.

I wonder how long before those get added.

The brown shirts on the march.

Oh the climate Reich will be glorious to see.
edit on 20-5-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Common core doesn't encourage thinking it encourages the recitation of facts selected for you by your friendly, trustworthy Government and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Bring back thinking and question everything...especially your Government.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Portland Oregon is joining the crusade to silence any and all climate change denying. They have adopted a resolution to sift through and eliminate any textbooks that don't fit their definitions of "accuracy".

That could be one way of looking at it. Another one might be that school districts have a right to determine the content of the curriculum.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Bring back thinking and question everything...especially your Government.

I completely agree.

Once upon a time in America when we were so 'less' evolved. That's what we did.

We questioned everything.

In the 21st century, and modern America we are told to believe EVERYTHING we are told.

Something seriously wrong with that picture.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Portland Oregon is joining the crusade to silence any and all climate change denying. They have adopted a resolution to sift through and eliminate any textbooks that don't fit their definitions of "accuracy".

That could be one way of looking at it. Another one might be that school districts have a right to determine the content of the curriculum.

Yeah well if that's the case then they get to 'decide' which bathrooms girls and boys use.

Er wait WHAT NOW?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Common Core isn't a curriculum. It was never a curriculum. It's a set of standards. The standards — if you read them yourself — actually seem to promote NOT having children simply recite facts. Not that it really matters because NCLB has been replaced and the federal government no longer has waivers to hold over states' heads (as of 6 months ago?) to compel them to adopt the standards. Those standards, by the way, were created and continue to be maintained by the NGA and CCSSO, bipartisan organizations comprised of elected state officials and not under the control of the federal government.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

So they are banning books now.

Sounds about right. Wonder who will defend this.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yeah well if that's the case then they get to 'decide' which bathrooms girls and boys use. Er wait WHAT NOW?

No. Not anymore than they should be able to "decide" if children of a certain race, religion or sexuality are allowed to attend their schools.

You see, one is an issue of standards and the other is an issue of civil rights.
edit on 2016-5-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So they are banning books now.

Sounds about right. Wonder who will defend this.

I'm pretty sure you can still buy those books if you want to.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Really, they're "banning books" now? They also don't teach that the Loch Ness Monster is proof that dinosaurs survive in the modern age and therefore, evolution is a lie. I'm sure they don't teach from those textbooks (which exist, btw) either.

Would you call that banning books? I mean, if that's your argument then any textbook they don't use is being "banned."

+1 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I can buy anything I want, for the right price.

So you're ok with book banning?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

If they are specifically excluding texts because of content they disagree with, then they are banning books.

Just accept that you side with book banning.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

a reply to: neo96

Yeah well if that's the case then they get to 'decide' which bathrooms girls and boys use. Er wait WHAT NOW?

No. Not anymore than they should be able to "decide" if children of a certain race, religion or sexuality are allowed to attend their schools.

You see, one is an issue of standards and the other is an issue of civil rights.

I'm an old snipper.

When I went to school sex was discouraged.

IF bedrooms are suppose to be a PRIVATE matter.

Then why are some people and WE ALL know who putting it out there in the PUBLIC?

+8 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I can buy anything I want, for the right price.

So you're ok with book banning?

Let me rephrase that. I'm pretty sure you can legally buy those books if you want to.

I am in favor of actual science being taught in school.
edit on 5/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Every day in this country, the Gestapo Left is pushing some new thing.

It's snowballing too. I don't even know what's going on anymore.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Do you think books should be banned?

+3 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No. I don't.

I don't see that any books have been banned. Contrary to the headline.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

So , it is ok for teachers to teach anything as long as the school board decrees it ? Know where the school boards get their direction ? The state board of education. Know where the state board of education gets their direction. I will let you research that one.

But in your post , you would allow a curriculum where I could teach that the South won the Civil War ? The US never sent a man to the moon ?

edit on 5/20/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Why teach things that are not supported by science?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join