It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland schools ban textbooks that question climate change

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatnext21

originally posted by: neo96

Portland Oregon is joining the crusade to silence any and all climate change denying.

The only thing missing is some fire,swastika's,the gestapo.

I wonder how long before those get added.

The brown shirts on the march.

Oh the climate Reich will be glorious to see.

Vote Trump, that'll put an end to its obama insanity!

Yes, because trump thinks all climate scientists are a part of some chinese climate conspiracy. LOL

link   
a reply to: neo96

Science didn't get those wrong, the church did. People figured out both of those were wrong centuries before it was finally said to be wrong. Try again buddy.

link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

If it's a real science why do they have to ban books that question it? If it's real science why is the solution a tax to fix it, and cheerleaders (NTD/Bill Nye) to sell you on it, while telling you the world will end?

No books have been banned.
I am paying no tax to "fix it."
I seldom see or hear from Bill Nye.
Who has said the world will end? Well, actually it will, in a couple of billion years but I don't suppose that's what you mean.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: xuenchen

Yes, so we update our current education system according to the current and most accurate information.

This is bad....how?

Instead of a one-sided approach, don't you think the better "education" would be to encourage debate and challenge both sides of an issue?

They seem to be encouraging debate.

They have decided to *include* the side of the issue that says humans might be contributing to global warming to encourage debate and learning.

You know, seeing the other side (instead of a one-sided approach).

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Portland Oregon is joining the crusade to silence any and all climate change denying.

I am not holding my breathe.

Vote CLinton for more of the same

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Ok.
Show me how many scientists in the 70s claimed a concern about global cooling (never mind an "ice age").
Then show me how many scientists in the 70s were concerned about warming caused by CO2.

Use any means at your disposal.

So, are you asking me to confirm that there are warming and cooling cycles?

link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Science didn't get those wrong, the church did. People figured out both of those were wrong centuries before it was finally said to be wrong. Try again buddy.

And the church of climatology is NO different.

Heed the Gospel or burn at the stake!

link   

I am not holding my breathe.

Vote CLinton for more of the same

One of the few good things about Clinton or why she might be better than Trump...she believes in science.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: xuenchen

This is why I'm proud to live here. Real science should be taught in class. Not climate change denial conspiracy theories, not "intelligent" design, etc.

I love this city.

If it's a real science why do they have to ban books that question it? If it's real science why is the solution a tax to fix it, and cheerleaders (NTD/Bill Nye) to sell you on it, while telling you the world will end?

Now, I wanna see the classic hockey stick graph with the fat MS paint line (that covers up the other lines) showing me I'm wrong. Because thats what your supposed to show me

Which books were "banned"?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Ok.
Show me how many scientists in the 70s claimed a concern about global cooling (never mind an "ice age").
Then show me how many scientists in the 70s were concerned about warming caused by CO2.

So, you have no idea what my reply was actually addressing or why I posted googlescholar links?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
So getting new books equals banning books now?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I don't think you guys understand one fundamental thing. Science is Science.

True some people don't understand.

Mainly the SCIENTIFIC METHOD.

The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.[2] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is commonly based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.[3] The Oxford English Dictionary defines the scientific method as "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."[4

en.wikipedia.org...

Pay attention to that last part.

It's not a done deal. Its meant to be questioned, and changed.

So how bout some people stop DEIFYING science and act like it's over.

Because yall have gone way past the religious folks on here with the DOGMA.

As per ITS definition

3. prescribed doctrine proclaimed as unquestionably true by a particular group:

www.dictionary.com...

Oh dear my what will the CHURCH of Climatology do now ?

Have some inquisitions ?
edit on 20-5-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

As per usual don't address anything just deflect. Sorry you don't wany to accept that world wife scientist are in agreement that when we burn fossil fuels and cut down all our trees the planet gets warmer due to excess CO2. If it helps you sleep at night to try and diminish it and call it a church then by all means go nuts.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

No books have been banned.

Maybe not yet, I'll grant you, but it will happen.

I am paying no tax to "fix it."

See Carbon credits & Carbon Taxes. You will pay for it whether through taxation or at the cash register.

I seldom see or hear from Bill Nye.
Who has said the world will end? Well, actually it will, in a couple of billion years but I don't suppose that's what you mean.

You must not get out very much?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

As per usual don't address anything just deflect. Sorry you don't wany to accept that world wife scientist are in agreement that when we burn fossil fuels and cut down all our trees the planet gets warmer due to excess CO2. If it helps you sleep at night to try and diminish it and call it a church then by all means go nuts.

As USUAL there ain't no 'scientists' here on ATS.

At best just people that source the work of someone else, and pass themselves off as 'experts'.

link   

That modification isn't " the scientist are all paid shills part of a grand conspiracy". Well unless you all can apply that very same method you want to quote to it and show the evidence to explain it.

Just saying I don't trust them is not science.

link   
in reference to the global cooling conspiracy.

In 1977, a popular book on the topic was published, called The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age. There were also a US TV show narrated by Leonard Nimoy in the 1977 In Search of... (TV series), episode 27, season 2, titled, "The Coming Ice Age: An inquiry into whether the dramatic weather changes in America's northern states mean that a new ice age is approaching. There was also a popular short science fiction story...I forget the name but I believe it was by Isaac asimov or at least in one of his science fiction story anthologies by another author. In general there were only a couple of studies maybe 2 and a handful of scientists, like maybe 6-12 that held this theory of global cooling.

compare that to today were there are thousands of scientists and just on NaSA's website there is a listing of over 200 scientific organizations that hold the theory that there IS man made global warming.

The question is always the same are all of those 200 organizations and the thousands of people the work for them in on a giant conspiracy bigger than any other conspiracy the earth has ever known? Occam's razor would tell us no...it's improbably. Spock (the above mentioned Leonord Nimoy's character) would tell us that this probability would be highly illogical and unlikely.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Ok.

So, you have no idea what my reply was actually addressing or why I posted googlescholar links?

You mean

Why? Because a handful of scientists said something like that? No. It takes more that than.

lol I just thought it funny you'd show warming and cooling, I was just trying to be a smart @ss

link   

See Carbon credits & Carbon Taxes. You will pay for it whether through taxation or at the cash register.
No carbon taxes, no carbon credits either. But I won't mind paying a bit to clean things up. There are worse things to spend money on.

You must not get out very much?
Oh, I get out a lot. I see things changing. Higher tides, things like that.

link   

A political solution to a supposed scientific problem.

And they call us "deniers".

ha

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join